Loading a Semi?

adam f

Not really !! because I and EVERYONE I shoot with are 'Safe' and before we walk off/onto a stand - our guns are 'clear' . I would NEVER walk off after shooting a pair with my semi(or any gun) without making sure breech is open and gun clear.

I even check my guns when getting them out of the cabinet even when I know they're empty (force of habit from my Army cadet days I guess) , You'd be amazed how many people are shot/injured by a gun they KNOW was safe!!

atvb

sg1 :good:

That's why they are called accidents. Putting more in the mag than you are going to immediately fire at a clay ground is asking for trouble.

Your first sentence states your intentions and your last one demonstrates what can actually happen.

Why take a pointless risk.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only ever loaded 3 cartridges into a semi at a clay shoot once.............

My dad kicked my @r$e I never made that mistake again. Only put the third one in when out pigeon shooting !

When clay shooting I put 2 in at a time, When finished i check the breach and mag are empty then walk out of the cage barrel up breach facing out and a safe-t-plug in and facing out. the gun goes straight in a gun bag then and only comes out when its required for me to shoot. That way it can get damaged and I am seen to be safe.

Safety is no accident and doesnt take a moment to do !

Shame there arnt flags for OU and SXS !

Shame there arnt flags for OU and SXS !

now that would be good, seen plenty of idiots swinging closed guns around when not in the stands. :angry:

how do you know they're not loaded ?

as a semi auto user i find this prejudice against them not being safe all a bit laughable.

personally dont put flags or anything else in mine, dont feel the need to and hate the faffing around with them.

breach gets opened while still in the slip for the first stand, and after that it stays open till i get home and clean it.

Not really !! because I and EVERYONE I shoot with are 'Safe' and before we walk off/onto a stand - our guns are 'clear' . I would NEVER walk off after shooting a pair with my semi(or any gun) without making sure breech is open and gun clear.

I even check my guns when getting them out of the cabinet even when I know they're empty (force of habit from my Army cadet days I guess) , You'd be amazed how many people are shot/injured by a gun they KNOW was safe!!

atvb

sg1 :good:

Indeed, so why risk leaving one in the spout for the sake of saving a couple of seconds reloading time?

Indeed, so why risk leaving one in the spout for the sake of saving a couple of seconds reloading time?

The 2nd part that was quoted in bold refers to firearms in 'general' . I only use my semi at two grounds where we shoot 5 pairs at each stand , My gun is unloaded till I am 'in' the stand, it's always pointing in safe direction out into firing zone, I load 3 - shoot two,Load two - shoot two until I get to the fifth pair where I load 'one', fire last pair, breach locks open, I visually check gun is empty, turn with gun in safe direction as I say 'GUN CLEAR' and physically show the person/people with me. I HAVE to do it correctly because two of the people I shoot with are my RFD and my FEO .

So CPSA rules aside.... I see/have NO issues with loading 3,5,9 cartridges at a time.

atvb

sg1

I load 3 - shoot two,Load two - shoot two until I get to the fifth pair where I load 'one', fire last pair,

So you've always got a live round in the gun until the last pair? What's the point in that?

If you're loading 2 cartridges for each pair why keep another one in the magazine? You only need 2 in the gun at any one time.

All sounds a bit 'tactical' to me :hmm:

As this is in the Clay shooting forum we are talking about clay shooting.

Loading 3 cartridges is a complete no no at any CPSA shoot, max 2 loaded at any time. I have been to a couple of shoots where "full use" is allowed and will still only chamber 2 cartridges unless there is a dedicated S\A category, even then if you have missed with the first two the third is unlikely to make contact.

I shoot a semi and everyone I shoot with has no issue around me being safe. When shooting skeet i remove the safe-t-plug on stand 1 and then shoot it, after that the gun is kept with the breech facing outwards with the butt on my foot. After my final shot on stand 7 the safe-t-plug is refitted for the walk back to the rack.

When sporting, the safe-t-plug is removed on the stand, shoot the stand then re-fitted and back in the slip.

I have seen good and bad gun handling by both semi auto and break action guns, however a lot of people get nervous around semi's as they have never used one.

If you shoot a semi do you know how to safely unload it if something happened? I don't mean removing the one in the chamber but the one in the magazine also.

I was reffing a stand at a charity shoot last year and we got a heads up of a guy that was obviously newish to shooting loading 3 but he denied it, we had a word and he denied it; however after his 5th pair he walked off the stand with the breech closed. I had seen him remove the spare round but so far as I was concerned it was still live. I asked him to put it in the rack and then took it into the stand to check it was clear and re-cock it with the action locked back, once i knew it was unloaded i showed him how to recock the action and unload safely. I also gave him a breech flag.

Everyone I shoot with regularly is very safe but i'm always watching anyone i haven't shot with before very closely. I have had a loaded gun pointed at me accidentally and it's not a pleasant experience.

Jon.

I used a semi auto for about 25 years and I never ever loaded three cartridges, even on a flush.

You are far more safety conscious due to being unable to break the gun and you must be seen to be safe.

sg1 sounds like an accident waiting to happen and he needs some one to put him in the position that unless he becomes a safe shot he should not be allowed to shoot in the company of others, I would not tolerate it at all.

That's with my ex R.C.O,s hat on.

I load 3 most of the time if I miss a clay then I use the extra shot, sometimes handy because you can push out a little further.

As for people say what happens if you lose count, it only to 3 and then it empty the action locks back.

What next sorry only 1 shot in O/U or SBS because 2 is unsafe, you might not be able to count to 2 or get a double discharge

Edited by slated

I load 3 most of the time if I miss a clay then I use the extra shot, sometimes handy because you can push out a little further.

As for people say what happens if you lose count, it only to 3 and then it empty the action locks back.

What next sorry only 1 shot in O/U or SBS because 2 is unsafe, you might not be able to count to 2 or get a double discharge

I really hope this is a wind up...do the ground owners know what's going on?

reading some of this i can understand why some people make such a performance about semi's being flagged.

it seems i've been in a bubble of sensible clay shooting semi auto users. :lol:

unless its a dedicated semi auto shoot with full use of the gun there is absolutely no point in putting 3 shells in it.

at every ground i've shot at if you have a 'no bird' you get the pair again, so you would still need to feed 1 more in

even if you've loaded 3 to start with. :look:

Scariest thing i have ever seen at a clay shoot was 3 guys stood in the middle of the path between 2 stands, shooting semi's, i think although i am not sure they had the sun in their eyes in the cage so stood outside it (in a patch of shade from a nearby tree), blatting away, not flags or slips to be seen, just 3 guys and 3 guns one firing one pressing the button and one stood there, I stopped about 30 yards short of them and waited for them to move on, I had no idea if the guns were loaded or not if they had seen me or if it was safe to pass. These guys were obviously unaware and i dont think were being intentionally dangerous, but that's when accidents can happen.

The club I shoot at regularly puts on 4 singles at least once per round..everyone, O/U, SxS and semi users are only allowed one shell in at a time. Its a ban if caught with two in!

On the rare occasions I've been on a driven shoot with the semi I still only put two in at any one time...if I can't hit it with two then it deserves to live to fly another day!

GH

SG1 ,sounds like you have things in hand but people DO MAKE MISTAKE. I was at a registered shot this weekend and a person came off the stand with an o/u, close the gun up and pointed the gun at us(in an under arm sort of from the hip way). I had just watched them shoot so i new the gun was empty but i was still not happy about it