Loading a Semi?

adam f

As an auto user for forty years i always watch other auto users. I was at a straw baler many years ago, and as i waited to shoot a stand, a guy next to me was leaning on his gun, stock on the ground and leaning on the barrel end, i looked down and the action was shut, on bringing this to his attention he said "its OK its empty, i'll show you" he reached down and pushed the bolt down and a live shell dropped onto the ground. He went white as a a sheet as he realised what he had done, he put his gun away and went home. It just shows how things happen and how we all need to be vigilant, we cannot compromise on safety.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought people loaded 3 at a stand so they got less recoil on the two shots. and then waited till the last pair and only load a single cartridge. I admit being new to semi's I'd load 3 but I only use 2 now as I'd rather get in the routine so I don't run into any issue. As some people have said some places only allow 2 loaded.

Edited by Relman

I always thought people loaded 3 at a stand so they got less recoil on the two shots. and then waited till the last pair and only load a single cartridge. I admit being new to semi's I'd load 3 but I only use 2 now as I'd rather get in the routine so I don't run into any issue. As some people have said some places only allow 2 loaded.

That may well be a valid point recoil wise but unfortunately it simply isn`t possible to always remember when you are about to shoot the last pair as stands can vary from 3-5 pairs. Only yesterday I waited my turn at a stand being shot by a chap I`d not seen before and only noticed he was loading three shells as I was watching him intently.

As he finished I pointed out why he ought to not make a habit of that, the scorer hadn`t noticed and just shook his head in dismay. Unfortunately I couldn`t hear the youngish chap through my earmuffs but he didn`t appear grateful for the advice. :no:

If he carries on like that, one day he`ll walk off a stand with a live one in the chamber.

what ever way you shoot a semi auto, loaded with 2 carts or loaded with 3 when you have shot 2 you still have to load 2. when I had my first shoot on a clay flush with my auto I tried it with 3. When the clays start flying you soon empty the gun. I shot the first 3 then loaded with 2 after that it was much quicker. whenever I shoot them now I always just put 2 in. some of the guys I shoot with who use o/u's always say i have an advantage because I have 3 shots. But when its empty I would have to load 3 carts. Much quicker and safer with 2 and always carried between stands in a bag with reciever open.

At both places I shoot skeet you only remove the safety plug when on the stand and replace it before leaving. On stands with full use of the gun on the compact sporting layout we are allowed 3 in autos. Shooting skeet or anywhere where you can only fire one at a target I see no point of loading a third.

I really like my orange Saf-T plug, I feel more comfortable handling the gun with it in and I'm sure other people must feel safer. Although I don't shoot clays very often, so it might be understandable, I often lose count of how many pairs I've shot, especially if one or two break and are repeated. So, for me it would always be a case of load two - shoot two.

We have an auto shooter who appears at my local and he dresses, all black clothing, high calf length goth boots with 2" soles, an all black (graphite finish) auto and 2 black cartridge belts crossed over his chest just like you see a Mexican bandito in the movies :yes: and he does get a few looks :o

If I'm out with the semi clay bashing, when I'm done at the stand I always manually cycle the gun a few times to make sure its empty - Just in case I've forgotten if I put 2 or 3 in, even if I actually know. Its just a habit because at the end of the day, if it was loaded and it went off its me in the doo-doo. It only takes a few seconds so not exactly a massive inconvenience.

Between stands I always carry breech open, facing out so everyone can see

I will never load more than two cartridges in to my semi when at the stand at the stand. Once finished I hold the breach open on the catch and make a good visual check that the magazine and breach are empty. I usualy do this a couple of times so people aroud can see that I have checked as well. Then put the gun in the rack with the breach open and facing out.

Sorry to go sliightly OT, but as a bloke who's never had a semi (but thinking of getting one) can one of you learned gents let me know why loading a third would give you less recoil?

Ta.

The idea is more weight for the gun with the extra cartridge(s) which would (in theory) reduce recoil. Having said that have shot mine with three loaded I have never noticed any difference between the first and the third shot. I cannot comment about five and eight shot as I dont own one.

Sodit

The idea is more weight for the gun with the extra cartridge(s) which would (in theory) reduce recoil. Having said that have shot mine with three loaded I have never noticed any difference between the first and the third shot. I cannot comment about five and eight shot as I dont own one.

Ta mate, that's what I thought, but I didn't think 28g (plus powder, casing etc) would make much difference, anyway now I know.

Cheers.

Sodit

Sorry to go sliightly OT, but as a bloke who's never had a semi (but thinking of getting one) can one of you learned gents let me know why loading a third would give you less recoil?

Ta.

The reason semi automatics often, though not always, give less perceived recoil is that the shuffle action of the breech opening and closing has to take some of the abrupt recoil of the fired shell away from the gun in order to work the action. Gas auto`s are famed for being recoil friendly so long as weight is not compromised, i.e, shoot a light semi and you`ll still get bashed.

When the last shell is fired the action stays open facilitating the loading of the next two or three cartridges, so if you think about it, the forward motion of the second shuffle is therefore lost. This is the reason the gun feels harsher; the bolt slams back and stays back.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason semi automatics often, though not always, give less perceived recoil is that the shuffle action of the breech opening and closing has to take some of the abrupt recoil of the fired shell away from the gun in order to work the action. Gas auto`s are famed for being recoil friendly so long as weight is not compromised, i.e, shoot a light semi and you`ll still get bashed.

When the last shell is fired the action stays open facilitating the loading of the next two or three cartridges, so if you think about it, the forward motion of the second shuffle is therefore lost. This is the reason the gun feels harsher; the bolt slams back and stays back.

Fair enough but I have never noticed any diff between cartridge 1 and 3. Mind you my Urika 391 cycles 21gram and there is little recoil when shooting those :lol:

I don't see how the number of cartridges initially loaded is much of a safety factor.

Surely the safest way of operating is to assume you've over-loaded and check

the chamber and magazine are empty and the bolt's locked back before leaving

the stand.

?

Nial.

I don't see how the number of cartridges initially loaded is much of a safety factor.

Surely the safest way of operating is to assume you've over-loaded and check

the chamber and magazine are empty and the bolt's locked back before leaving

the stand.

?

Nial.

Two clays = two cartridges :good:

Not everyone checks their gun though :blink:

Regarding recoil my Beretta is quite soft to shoot for the first shot... but after the second shot when the bolt is locked back there is definitely more recoil felt.

Two clays = two cartridges :good:

What about no-birds where you don't shoot, or when you do and reload.

If this happens a couple of times you could easily lose track of what's in the magazine,

especially if you're chatting to friends etc.

Not everyone checks their gun though :blink:

Then they're ******* unsafe idiots.

I'd much rather shoot with someone who initially loads 3 cartridges but religiously

clears it after every stand than someone loading 2 who just walks off.

Nial.

Nial,

I think that you have a lot to learn yet, how can you possibly lose track of how many cartridges are in your gun if you only load two :hmm:

It seems to me that you have not been shooting long and you have not been correctly taught about loading a semi auto, if you go to the shoot where full use of the gun ie: three cartridges for three clays is allowed and everybody around you is aware of that then there is not a problem.

At clay shoots where you have a flush only two cartridges are allowed in the gun at any time ever. The same applies to all clay shoots also unless you want to be unsafe.

• 5 weeks later...

With firearms and "I thought it wasnt loaded accidents" there is no such thing as an accident just poor safety procedures.

Not my statement I read it in a shooting book

Excellent quote. This applies to many areas of life. Most road "accidents" are not accidents at all, just bad driving or poor vehicle / highway maintainence.

I can't believe the length of this thread.

Two clays, two shells. Simples!!

Anyone who says different is talking nonsense.

FG