Applying For F.A.C Just For Air Rifle's

CMuzzy

The process is the same. You need a good reason and secure storage. In the eyes of the law there is no real difference because it's just an air rifle. You don't need to specify ammo, that's the only difference! [remember you need a slot for a moderator even if you already have one 'off ticket']

What you going to be shooting? If it's ground pests you might as well put in for a .22/.17 rimfire too or it will cost you more when you want one. Once you have a 'proper' rifle you'll realise how much more fun it is!

Edited by apache

Thanks Apache useful bit of info there :good: .. Will have to get my backside along to the copshop and and get the required forms thanks again , have permission at a farm where he's having problems with a very big flock of woodpigeon and also a shedload of rabbit's and quiet a good batch of pheasant's just want a clean kill really my AAs400 is fine for now just not too sure about shooting the pheasnt's with it . :) Chris

There are few situations where the cost of an FAC airgun can be justified-far better to get a .22 or.17HMR as Apache has said.If overkill is a problem you can use .22 shorts and the added range of both guns over the puffgun is incredible.If i were in your shoes i would keep the airgun and put in for a .22 with moderator-you can pick up a scoped CZ model 2 for about £150 and rimfire ammo is as cheap as chips.BTW shooting pheasants with an airgun might be possiblew and i dont think its illegal but it is frowned upon by the vast majority of countrymen-i wouldnt if i were you. :huh:

also, although its easy to pick off woodpigeons with a rimfire, if like you say, the farmer has big numbers of them, a shotgun is far more productive

not always..depends if they are flying about or finding a place to settle down and return to often. I have one farm i have more success with airgun than 12g..and a cheaper day compared to £4/25 shells!!! :yp: :yes:

also, although its easy to pick off woodpigeons with a rimfire, if like you say, the farmer has big numbers of them, a shotgun is far more productive

Hi stubby thers nothing more i'd like to us a shotgun would make for easier shooting i reckon :) thanks for the input pal . ATB . Chris

There are few situations where the cost of an FAC airgun can be justified-far better to get a .22 or.17HMR as Apache has said.If overkill is a problem you can use .22 shorts and the added range of both guns over the puffgun is incredible.If i were in your shoes i would keep the airgun and put in for a .22 with moderator-you can pick up a scoped CZ model 2 for about £150 and rimfire ammo is as cheap as chips.BTW shooting pheasants with an airgun might be possiblew and i dont think its illegal but it is frowned upon by the vast majority of countrymen-i wouldnt if i were you. :huh:

Thanks for the head's up regarding the pheasant's Bruno will take that into consideration , will be looking out for a decent FAC rifle upon gaining correct certification hopefully wont take to long and will be checking out the CZ model indefinately :).. thanks again Chris

Edited by CMuzzy

Thanks for the head's up regarding the pheasant's Bruno will take that into consideration , will be looking out for a decent FAC rifle upon gaining correct certification hopefully wont take to long and will be checking out the CZ model indefinately :).. thanks again Chris

The CZ mentioned is a rimfire not an FAC airrifle.

Have you got a shotgun certificate? If you are applying for an FAC it only costs an extra £10

The CZ mentioned is a rimfire not an FAC airrifle.

Have you got a shotgun certificate? If you are applying for an FAC it only costs an extra £10

hi again apache no dont hold a shotgun certificate pal would i correct in thinking applying for that aswell or is that just complicating things ? Chris

hi again apache no dont hold a shotgun certificate pal would i correct in thinking applying for that aswell or is that just complicating things ? Chris

No. To get a shotgun cert you just need to be fairly mentally stable! You don't have to prove a 'need' for it like you do with a firearm. Even if you don't intend to get one straight away I would put in for your SGC. The police can do the checks for both at the same time. The safe can store both together.

You can pick up a cheap shotgun for literally nothing. They come up for less than £50 if you want a single barrel or side by side.

No. To get a shotgun cert you just need to be fairly mentally stable! You don't have to prove a 'need' for it like you do with a firearm. Even if you don't intend to get one straight away I would put in for your SGC. The police can do the checks for both at the same time. The safe can store both together.

You can pick up a cheap shotgun for literally nothing. They come up for less than £50 if you want a single barrel or side by side.

Great stuff that's well handy to know not a lot people would tell you that for nothing these days . will be getting a gun safe asap looks like a trip to the local gunshop too see if he has any second-hand one's knocking about , then start the ball rolling , thanks Apache i really appreciate the help . Chris :thanks:

FAC air is easier granted than Rimfire or above by many forces and much easier to get an early Open condition on, its also a good easy start to more powerful rifles. that said if it was to be just one gun i would go .22rf but i like to keep an FAC rated Rapid for shooting upwards around stock or in areas were the rimfires would be inapropriate and 12ftlb not man enough for the job at hand. Most .22lr rimfire rifles don't handle shorts with anything like the accuraccy that a good FAC air rifle can manage with ease.

Three things required 1. good reason (land) 2. secure storage (safe and a secure household) 3. the right applicant ( no registered drug adicts need apply etc)

FAC air is easier granted than Rimfire or above by many forces and much easier to get an early Open condition on, its also a good easy start to more powerful rifles. that said if it was to be just one gun i would go .22rf but i like to keep an FAC rated Rapid for shooting upwards around stock or in areas were the rimfires would be inapropriate and 12ftlb not man enough for the job at hand. Most .22lr rimfire rifles don't handle shorts with anything like the accuraccy that a good FAC air rifle can manage with ease.

Three things required 1. good reason (land) 2. secure storage (safe and a secure household) 3. the right applicant ( no registered drug adicts need apply etc)

Good points there Kent taking it all on board to help with my application thanks for your information kind regards. Chris

Each to their own, a FAC air rifle has its uses, as does a .22lr. HMR. WMR Shotgun whatever, I have them all and use them all.

Having said that, the FAC air is very possibly the least used of my tools today, it goes clean through Pigeons and leaves holes in Supermarket walls, so 12ft lb works better there, and in the field a .22lr can be very versatile.

Before you apply for FAC, do as much digging as you can to find the most appropriate tool/s, and very possibly an idea to apply for a few as has been mentioned!

• 10 years later...

I shoot pheasant on the farm with 177 but it's close range and always a clean head shot and only in season. They do flap about a bit but it's just nerves. If you're not comfortable with the shot don't take it. Most experienced pest shooters will shoot a pheasant close up with a 177 or 22 sub 12 cleanly and humanly..

20 hours ago, Dafid69 said:

I shoot pheasant on the farm with 177 but it's close range and always a clean head shot and only in season. They do flap about a bit but it's just nerves. If you're not comfortable with the shot don't take it. Most experienced pest shooters will shoot a pheasant close up with a 177 or 22 sub 12 cleanly and humanly..

Another one for the zombie arena. 10 years on: not bad, but not anything like a record...