Feeding Wild Birds

Ferret Master

Do you feed wild birds in your garden?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feed wild birds in your garden?

• Yes, all year round
    • No
    • In Winter
    • In Hard Weather

Stuart, do they live near Kew?

P.

Near Staines (for there sins) and they are making there way over towards us now (the parakeets no my parents :ernyha: ) at first they are novel and then that incessant squawking really gets on your t*ts!!

And they drive everything else out of the garden, sooner they are 'on list' the better..

We have got them in Kent too. I wonder what they taste like :o

LB

me and the wife are both keen birdwatchers and we feed birds in the winter, when there is hard weather and in the spring.

We have a three bird boxes for tits, sparrows etc and different feeders for finches, tits etc.

The only thing i hate is magpies which have a nastty habit of ripping the chicks out and leaving them on the lawn. The maggies don;t even eat them.

This is why I have always kept an air rifle. We have been over run with them in our housing estate over the last 6 years or so. Last year I took 9 out, but so far this year i have just had 2. Most are taken during April May June when the songbirds are nesting/hatching.

bindi :blink:

Feed them through the winter only with stale bread and nuts

Just a note. that you should avoid giving bread to birds, aprticulalry in the winter/spring months as it just swells up in their tummies, makes them feel full, and provides very little nutitional value.

Best to do as johnskevena does with the nuts.

Favorites include sunflower seed and peanuts and fat balls.

Cheap nuts might not be bird friendly. some have a fungus on them which can kikll the birds. Best ones say RSPB friendly on them,

regards

bindi

I don't as there are too many cats nearby so I don't want to tempt fate.

My parents fed them like no tomorrow, but they are absolutely infested with parakeets now so wish they had a way of soo'ing them off and not the rest  :sly:

I have seen them in London and Studland in Dorset did`nt know about Staines though