offer for a newbie

p-a-s

Any newbie interested in a day out on the pigeons fri 4th feb in Burton on Trent.This is an offer for someone that has not shot pigeons before and wants a little education,i have noticed several newbies requesting such days so thought i would make an offer to help them out.You wont need a shotgun as we will be using my moderated 410,however you must have a valid shotgun cert,and if you could bring a box or 2 of 3inch subsonic load cartridges it would be a big help.

Thanks all that showed an interest,but the day has been taken,but alas not by a pw member.

Edited by p-a-s

Any newbie interested in a day out on the pigeons fri 4th feb in Burton on Trent.This is an offer for someone that has not shot pigeons before and wants a little education,i have noticed several newbies requesting such days so thought i would make an offer to help them out.You wont need a shotgun as we will be using my moderated 410,however you must have a valid shotgun cert,and if you could bring a box or 2 of 3inch subsonic load cartridges it would be a big help.

I am fairly new to the sport and would welcome the opportunity to improve my knowledge. I have a SG Cert and full BASC Insurance. Based in the North West but would be willing to travel.

Cheers

Mark

What a response thanks for all the replies and pm`s,i would just like to add this is not going to be a full on day so no early travelling need be involved,say about 11am till 4pm ish.I went out on sat and shot 4 pigeons in less than 2 hours,i admit not a big bag but this was just a bit of hide training for my dog.Went again today and shot 7 pigeons for 10 carts in 2 hours could have shot more but didnt want to over do it with the dog.

Chubukos,pm on its way.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, a big Thank You to P-A-S.

Had the pleasure to spend the afternoon in the company of Paul on one of his local shoots.

Past on a wealth of knowledge and wisdom in our short time together.

The pigeons were there early afternoon but numbers were limited with the increase in windy conditions.

I've been invited back, so I can't have been that bad!

Cheers.

chubukos,you are more than welcome i will try and sort a day so you can use your 12g its not easy for myself with a 410 let alone a newbie.and as i said earlier this time of year and early winter some times you can let off your 1st shot with the 12 and not see a pigeon for the rest of the day.Just to put the day in to perspective for any one that looked at my offer heres my version of how the day went.Pulled up at the field gates sat and waited a min or 2 because the dog i am bringing on is very clued up and anticipates whats on the cards FUN FUN FUN yey run about sniff sniff,but not today shes far to busy licking her bits(looks like shes coming into season any time now).Anyway gets out the landie, boots on,dog, gun, 2 floater poles,decoys in ruck sack,hide poles and net,plus 2 6ft garden canes and 2 bright green corn bags to flag the bottom half of the field off.Right,the 1st flag is put up walk accross the field to set 2nd flag up,look back to check the distance,bu55er the 1st flag is on the deck with the cane snapped,a short walk back and it is corrected.Ok walk to the top of the field and we both start to put out 12 fuds in a r shape pattern with most of the decoys at the top of the r.Next we put up the hide with a view to shoot pigeons passing from left to right,i think i was giving Mark the run down of the little 410 ie safety aspect (not that he needed it )but if he has never shot a gun with a hammer he isnt to know) i had the gun loaded but not cocked and a couple of pigeons came for a look,so i took a quick shot and missed 10 seconds later another woodie came into range i shot and missed again.I finished the tactic talk and handed mark the 410,pigeons came in and almost landed at the point i had been hoping for,between 11-12 o clock thus avoiding shooting in the direction of houses,shots taken but no pigeons hit.15 mins later a pearler of a bird came in,shot missed,ah well.After a rather busy 40 mins or so it went realy quiet,a couple of pigeons came over but didnt commit to the pattern,time was ticking on and i wanted to get mark a bit of sport so i said mark we need a couple of real birds to put on the floater poles,if i take a couple of shots we will stand more chance(no disrespect intended)so we swapped over and it was my turn 1st shot, result a pricked pigeon.Off i went and dispatched it,i didnt want to pull to hard and end up with its head in 1 hand and body in tother but it didnt go to plan i ended up with my hands covered in claret,i didnt pull the head off but it was bleeding rather bad from the head and neck.I mounted our new recruit on 1 of the floater poles and bedded it in the ground and stepped away,**** it was flat out on the ground,wind was so strong,i decided to leave it on the ground with wings spread out to look like a landing pigeon.I sat waiting for another pigeon to put on the other floater,conversation was made regarding what time mark wanted to pack up,about 2-30 ish was agreed so mark could beat the M6 rush hour. I sat and had another fag with no birds coming into view and said to mark,come on mate you take the gun,hoping he could end on a high and shoot at least 1 pigeon.Unfortunatley it wasnt to be,we where being battered by a realy cold wind,and i am surprised how well the hide stood up to it.We packed up soon after and i couldnt feel my fingers or ears due to the wind(gloves next time)All this time we had been sat and the dog didnt get chance of a retrieve,so i let my hat blow off in the wind and sent her for it,and bless her hairy face she ran for it and brought it back to hand.

Summary.It wasnt the best of days but looking at the ground we set up i think some one had been shooting from the same hide point over the weekend as mark and myself did today because the ground was all bare from being trampled by boots.If any one thinks i have dissed mark for his lack of connection,i havent intended to,i was just giving my view of how the day went.mark is a decent lad and stuck to the task,and is welcome out with me again.Thanks for reading and hope i havent bored you with my ramblings.

Sounds like you had a really good day, it is not always about getting a bird, that is a bonus, it is passing on the experience to be able to go out and shoot safely and enjoy the day.

Congratulations to you and well done.

Cheers

bakerboy

Edited by bakerboy