magpies

Rob G

One of the farms i shoot on has a problem with magpies.There is about twelve that fly around together.We have set a trap for them caught a decoy bird,and nothing else.We are going to try and shoot them over a dead rabbit on its back,works well on crows.Not sure if it will work on magpies

Any advice is wellcome :lol:

Rob you want to get a decoy bird from another area if you can this seems to work best,have you tried moving the trap around?you can shoot them try a dead rabbit and a couple of magpie deeks,just dont miss any or you will have a hck of a job getting near them again :lol:

You could try using a plastic little owl with a dead magpie tied to its feet along with a couple of plastic deeks in the trees around and use a magpie distress call then just sit back in a well cocealed hide with an acurrate air rifle and wait for the fun to start.

i have used this tactic twice before with great sucsess one trip i had 11 the other i had 5 the 11 were taken next to a muck heap were there were loads of magpies all the time. i used a plastic little owl with flapping wings. my hide was made so that i was lying on the floor with the net more or less lying straight on top of me. i picked up all the birds i shot straight away so not to put any others of.

The way i did it was very succesfull to.

First i shot a magpie with the .22LR

Then I put it in the larsentrap on its belly with its wings spread.The next day there was one in the trap.

Three weeks later I cought a total of 22 of those darn birds.

And did not caught anything since.

I guess they are extinct in this neighbourhood ( for a while ).

But it might work different on different area's.

Good luck with them.

Klaas,

Don't give up yet - we are just entering the peak period for trapping these black & white skinheads of the bird world - keep moving the trap to different places, and if possible raise it about 0.75m off the ground - that way they will go straight in through the top, and not keep running around the sides...!!!!

Keep up the good work... :lol::/:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

If there is a plantation of fur trees close by sit in it before dark and shoot them coming to roost.when you have one shot put it up the tree and the rest will keep on coming in to it,they are stupid that way.or if that doesnt work try a fox caller,this has worked for me in the past. ;):D???