Lamp Filter Colours

Axe

Fox & Rabbit - Do you use filters?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Fox & Rabbit - Do you use filters?

• Red Only
    • Amber Only
    • Red & Amber
    • Green Only
    • Blue Only
    • Green & Blue
    • All 4 Colours

Out last night and seeking out a Fox SL asked me to pop his amber filter on my lamp. So I removed my red filter and placed it on the bonnet of the Landy. You got it, I forgot about it and we drove off. :ernyha:

So I am now looking to get a replacement and considered a kit with all four. However, theres no point if the blue & green are worthless. :D

Your views gents, much appreciated. :o

Voted red as thats all I use in my variable itensity gunlamp. I tried several other colour camera lense filters in my maglite, but it's fixed intensity didnt keep shy bunnies in one place long enough for me. Most of them blocked out too much light to make them practical in the long term.

Interesting that no-one yet has voted for green or blue at all. Well after some scouring around the internet, yet again Optics Warehouse have come up trumps again. They do the full set for 18.60 including VAT and Postage thats £2 more than buying the Red & Amber together and a massive saving over Deben direct. So i'll let you know how they fair.

Stuart, I had been thinking along those very lines myself. Always better to hear it from someone though. Thanks buddy and everyone else that voted. :o

Not sure if it makes a bit of difference, but my dad swaps colours about every 6-7 weeks so that the foxes/rabbits dont get used to the one colour. The colours we use are red, blue, green and amber. We haven't been out lamping for quite a while though because the fourtrak is being repaired after reversing into a ditch whilst out one night foxing :o

Couldn't vote as there was not a space for "no filter"

I tried all the filter colours years ago but don't use them now. With the right lamping technique they aren't needed anyway and the fox/rabbit is a lot easier to see at distance. Especially when using the red filter. :o

i always thought that the reason for changing filter was to confuse lamp shy foxes/rabbits, so you still get an opertunity to shoot them again, just have to use an unfamiliar filter???

ive only used red for rats and white for foxes/rabbits.

wish i had a dimmer on my dads lamp, as for rabbits at 40 yards you dont see eyes you see the whole field.

Foxer, how do you find your success rate is when changing as you do? Do you notice any difference in behaviour with the green and blue?

our success rate is pretty good but nothing like franks (i wish ;) ) and we do notice the difference more on rabbits when we change the filters colour, bearing in mind we go lamping almost every friday night round the usual places so they will soon get used to the colour that they get shot at with if you no what i mean but we have been doing this sort of routene for ages so we just kind of got used to changing the filters every so often

hope this helped a bit :blink:

EDIT: i'll just add my dad and i do all of our lamping out of the fourtraks window so we use the head lights aswell to spot the quarry as some of the filters do cut down the range of the light a bit more than others. Also our lamp is vehicle mounted on the roof don't no if this gives it more range or not??

Edited by Foxer

I'll play the CD in the field tommorrow night and let you know hoe i get on stuart. :blink:

Frank, no filter even on riddled areas? Maybe I need to bait more?

Thanks for all the replys guys, the difference in areas is getting intersting.