What's the law

dazlindazza

I'm just after some advice on the law regarding shooting in a private garden.

I have a detached house with a rather large garden that backs on to woods, but has neighbouring gardens on either side. We've got a problem with bloody rats that have come in from the woods and into our chicken house, and have been thinking of keeping watch with my little .410 and taking a few rats out.

Obviously I will be using common sense - ie not shooting towards the fence on either side of the garden towards neighbours and would only shoot if in the middle of the garden or with the woods behind etc but I basically want to know what the law on this is, were one of the neighbours to complain and the police turn up as I dont want to jeopardise my licence.

Cheers

Get on the phone to your local unit and ask them

then once they have given you the all clear keep a note of the guy/gal

who gave you the all clear.

and use the .410 personally I'd get the 12 out.

I'll never use rat poison ******* sick and inhumane anyone who use that

should feel what its like to have there insides slowly dissolved

over the course of 5 days.

THE LAW requires that any culling/dispatch must be done as quickly and with minimal

pain as possible, 5 days or 5 seconds use the shotgun get it done quick.

Thanks for all your replies!

Thanks to Masterzone, that sounds like a great idea. I have tried using an auir rifle, but I dont have a very good one and when I hit them they just squeal and run off, and I really dont like the thought of leaving them injured, I want to do the job properly if I shoot them. Yes, I could buy a better air rifle, but to be honest now I have shotties I dont really ever use an air rifle so dont see the point in spending hundreds on one for it to virtually never be used.

I'm with Masterzone on the poison, Yes the rats are a pain but I dont want to see them suffer at all!

Once again, thanks!

Who knows on the details given.......BUT.....

....the odds are if you have rats then your neighbours may well have them to.

Shooting, in any form, may solve the problem if you catch it early and are methodical, but you need to get them all.

As others have said, traps/poisons may well be the way to resolve this issue, shoot one or two as well by all means.

You will need patience and diligence to solve this issue or you will simply scratch the surface and the problem will persist.

If in doubt get a professional in.

ATB!

Get on the phone to your local unit and ask them

then once they have given you the all clear keep a note of the guy/gal

who gave you the all clear.

and use the .410 personally I'd get the 12 out.

I'll never use rat poison ******* sick and inhumane anyone who use that

should feel what its like to have there insides slowly dissolved

over the course of 5 days.

THE LAW requires that any culling/dispatch must be done as quickly and with minimal

pain as possible, 5 days or 5 seconds use the shotgun get it done quick.

I really do struggle with this.

The LAW also approves ALL pesticides used in this country.

ALL rat Poisons available in this country are approved, not only by the British Government but also by Europe.

If you have a moral issue then fine, but poisons (anti coagulants) work 24/7, and do work, if you want to sit up non stop for a fortnight shooting them fine. But you are not as efficient as well placed baits, FACT!

NONE take 5 days to kill a rodent if administered correctly either!

:good::blush::blush:

I really do struggle with this.

The LAW also approves ALL pesticides used in this country.

ALL rat Poisons available in this country are approved, not only by the British Government but also by Europe.

If you have a moral issue then fine, but poisons (anti coagulants) work 24/7, and do work, if you want to sit up non stop for a fortnight shooting them fine. But you are not as efficient as well placed baits, FACT!

NONE take 5 days to kill a rodent if administered correctly either!

:good::blush::blush:

nope as long as you keep a good supply down and keep feeding it till they stop taking it then it is the best method of control. Disolving their insides isn't what it does at all and they get woozy and go to sleep and don't wake up without knowing whats going on.

I had the exact same problem last year, didnt want to use poison because its not a quick or nice way to go and we have a few Owls and other birds of prey knocking about, so i didnt want to introduce poison into the food chain. Got shut off most of mine with some traps and peanut butter and got a few but not as many with a silenced .22 air rifle. I think over a 3 week period i got shut of about 22 most of which where young ones.