Lead substitutes.

Cranfield

You can't delete the post entirely, you can only delete the text by going into "edit" and deleting it.

Dat's wot I taut!

From the talk in the Shooting Times this week, it might not be long before there is a complete ban on lead shot for everything. I can foresee a big demand for homeloading presses.

Geat news! Now the Iraq War II has ended there is gonig to be a glut of non-toxic shot. Just ask your gunsmith for depleted uranium tracer rounds!! Mr Blair's scientific 'advisors' (like a puppet but paid!) swear they are perfectly safe for our troops to use so I'm sure he'd be fully supportive of the change from lead!!! ;):D

With hundreds of servicemen from the Gulf (1992) being made sick by 'something else' and not depleted uranium, I feel we have our solution. If it'll stop a tank at 1000 yards I'd hope even Cranfield could stop pigeons with them!!!! ??????

• 3 weeks later...

Chaps,I have one of those newfangled 3 1/2" chambered 12 bores and shoot lots of fowl with all the unleaded stuff available.

I also load all my own cartridges and can tell you that steel will infact reliably kill geese,pigeon,duck,pheasant,whatever at usual ranges,including forty yards.

You should go for 2.8,3.0mm,3.3 mm for pigeons.Gamebore do a nice little 32 gramme load that should be just the ticket.

Bismuth is ,in fact much better than a lot of people give it credit for.I use just 3/4 oz of handloaded buffered 2.8mm(5) for duck and this load will go straight through them at 40 yards.Contrary to popular belief,complete penetration does kill cleanly,Hevi shot kills very well and passes straight through pinks even at long range

ITM.Impact Tungsten Matrix,also kills very well.

These are the loads I would recommend to anyone who needs to use unleaded on duck

Eley bismuth2.8mm or 3.1mm(4s or 5s),32,34,or 36gram loads.

Gamebore ITM 36 gram 5s.Absolutely stunning in tight chokes

Gamebore 32 gram steel 3.6mm for duck.Gerard

i realise you have to have a gun proofed for steel in order to fire it but will it wear out barrels faster even on correctly proofed guns than norml carts,just thinking if you had to use them for pigeon shooting etc it would involve alot more carts being fired in a year than an average wildfowler would normally use

In theory your gun should not wear out at all .The shot is encased in a thick plastic wad and should not rub through.Express ,however,use a thin plastic wad,Wagner, and sometimes load shot that is bigger than the wad is designed for.

That is why I suggest you use Gamebore steel ,who use Baschierri and Pellagri wads which are fine.Don't use shot bigger than3.3 mm and no more than half choke if you HAVE to use a gun not proofed for steel.

The only place you may get wear is in the choke.If you fire steel at night you may well see sparks fly.

If you have a multi choke ,get a teague or briley extended choke and all the wear and pressure should be outside the barrel and on the choke.Gerard