Seagulls

Sniper-Blend

Bird Pest Species

The following fourteen bird pest species may be killed or taken by authorised persons at any time under annual open and general licences issued by the respective national government departments. You must ensure compliance with their terms. No individual has to apply for a licence:

Canada goose*

Carrion crow

Collard Dove#

Herring Gull

Jackdaw

Starling^

Jay#

House

sparrow^

Magpie

Woodpigeon

Lsr Black-backed Gull

Rook

Feral Pigeon

Gt. Black-backed Gull

*England only

#Not applicable in Northern Ireland

^Not applicable in England

Edited by M ROBSON

Whats the point of shooting herring gulls with an air rifle for fun? :blink:

Sport is fun and yes everytime i get a kill no matter what it is i.e rabbit, bird it always brings a smile to my face plus if this sport wasnt fun then we would all be bored and not doing it

Edited by Sniper-Blend

The point that needs to be remembered is that whilst you may find it enjoyable, you should always ensure you have reasonable cause for shooting live quarry. Simply shooting for fun should be done at paper targets or tin cans.

Just realise that most members of the public do not understand that certain species of gulls are classified as vermin, under the open licence.

If you are seen shooting seagulls, expect a visit from the Police.

I hope your bird identification is better than your general knowledge of what is classified as vermin.

Shoot the wrong seagull and you could have a serious problem.

There is a reason for it as the owner of the land is seriously peed off with them so knowing that i can shoot certain ones will help him out.... I didnt say anywere in my previous posts that i will be shooting them for the sake of it!!! Every species of quarry i shoot is for a valid reason and if i didnt have a reason for shooting gulls i wouldnt shoot them!!!!! @ dazza

Edited by Sniper-Blend

Just realise that most members of the public do not understand that certain species of gulls are classified as vermin, under the open licence.

If you are seen shooting seagulls, expect a visit from the Police.

I hope your bird identification is better than your general knowledge of what is classified as vermin.

Shoot the wrong seagull and you could have a serious problem.

And yes it is good, although i only look up what i will be shooting as i dont see the point in looking it all up when most quarry i have no reason to shoot!!! so yes my knowlege is good :blink:

It might help if you weren't so "eager" about it. It is very hard to express yourself fully on these forums, no body language or inflection of speech etc.

The way it looks and the way a lot of people have taken it is that you are just shooting them for the sake of it. All we are doing is voicing our concerns and trying to help.

How about an ANTI reading this? Anything can be taken and used out of context at the best of times, without us giving them ammunition.

Very true. Maybe i should of explained myself more in the first place as reading back what i put it dos appear and even sounds like i am shooting them for the sake of it. I am not though and never would, i will only shoot quarry that i have a reason to shoot. Sorry about that, hope this explains it

Edited by Sniper-Blend

There is a difference between juvenile and adult plumage that you need to be aware of.

They can be pretty aggresive too so watch your eyes and scalp.

They have pretty tough wings, so shooting one sideways on the ground with an air rifle may be harder than you think.

Not that I approve on farmland, I know they are pests where they nest on folks roofs and that they carry disease into lakes etc but, if you think you've a fair reason for doing it, do it discretely and well so that the rest of the shooting community doesn't get the repercussions.

Ta

And yes it is good, although i only look up what i will be shooting as i dont see the point in looking it all up when most quarry i have no reason to shoot!!! so yes my knowlege is good :blink:

I am going to argue with the level of your knowledge here. As a keen birdwatcher, a Countryside Ranger as well as a rabbiter, I know that gulls can sometimes be some of the hardest species to identify, especially when they are in different plumages and when there are other gulls around.

If you only look up what you will be shooting then you will miss finding out how to identify the Common Gull. This is a gull that you are NOT allowed to shoot and it is similar in appearance to the Herring Gull. I suggest that before you shoot ANY gulls that you invest in a good bird identification guide, do not just rely on websites like the RSPB's. A good ID book shows examples of several plumage types whereas some website only show what is a good photograph. Personally I recomend the latest Collins field guide.

I would also ensure that you do have the right to shoot them on your shoot. Just because the farmer is peed off with them may not be a valid legal excuse. e.g. If he wants rid of them because they perch on his buidings and keep him awake at night, I believe that he is supposed to tryt other methods first (I may ne wrong there, but can anyone else enlighten us?) However, if you do shoot then without a valid legal excuse, even if given permission by the landowner, I am sure that a large proportion of the blame will land squarely on your shoulders!

Hope this helps,

Batmancaver

There was recently a ruling where you had to show that all other attempts to get rid of the pests were used before "termination" was used as another resort.

Are these the type of gulls that you see mobbing fields after the farmers have just plowed....

There was recently a ruling where you had to show that all other attempts to get rid of the pests were used before "termination" was used as another resort.

Are these the type of gulls that you see mobbing fields after the farmers have just plowed....

Yes they are and thats the reason he wants rid of them but after readin most of this i dont think i will bother :blink:

I'm not argueing that some gulls are classed as pests/vermin, but what harm do the gulls do when foraging a newly plowed field?

Are the gulls classed as pests for some reason associated with farming or are they classed as a pest for some other reason?

I would assume that if for instance the gulls are classed as a pest because of the problems that they cause through their nesting activities on buildings in towns, etc then you would not have any legal right to shoot them in a farmers field and say "Well they're a pest so it's OK to shoot them!"

I would suggest that some more research is undertaken to find out whether you can actually shoot them as a pest first. Presumerably BASC may know?

I'm not argueing that some gulls are classed as pests/vermin, but what harm do the gulls do when foraging a newly plowed field?

Are the gulls classed as pests for some reason associated with farming or are they classed as a pest for some other reason?

I would assume that if for instance the gulls are classed as a pest because of the problems that they cause through their nesting activities on buildings in towns, etc then you would not have any legal right to shoot them in a farmers field and say "Well they're a pest so it's OK to shoot them!"

I would suggest that some more research is undertaken to find out whether you can actually shoot them as a pest first. Presumerably BASC may know?

You can legally shoot them as a pest as they are on the list