Seagulls

Sniper-Blend

I see there is two gulls on that list but how do you tell the diff between them?

You shouldnt even be shooting stuff if you cant tell what it is, or if its not causing you or your shoots land any problems :thumbs:

I can now tell the diff after looking into it so there is no question that i cant tell what it is!!! like i said before if you read the post that i only look into what i will be shooting as there is no point for me looking into what i wont :blink: at present all i shoot is Corvids, Rabbit, Woodies, Tree Rats and your bog standard rat so i only know about these and now i know about Gulls :sly:

Presume that the reasons why they mob recently plowed fields is due to the turn over of the ground and therefore the access to worms....

And we all knows how good worms are for the garden.........

Imagine how easy it is....sit on the back of the furrow,,,pop em off as you plod along, get farmer to stop every 30 yds...3 birds off each time...job done...

Check out the amount of crows you get thru aswell....

S-B out of curiosity which rat do you shoot?arborial or terrestrial?black or brown?common or rare?

Look if you lot are going to keep having ago about if i can i.d my quarry then go ahead!! have some fun and keep douting me!! bit childish if you ask me

And if you must know its the BROWN RAT (Rattus Norvegicus) if i spelt that right.... satisfied now?:sly:

If its legal and the farmer wants them dealing with for a valid reason then i will ok and if i cant get a positive identification then i wont take it out. im not stupid, and as for magpies IVE if you look in pictures then you will see i also got them, not that difficult if you use the right tactics really though i must admit they are cunning little critters lol but with the right tactics it can be done :sly:

Edited by Sniper-Blend

and as for magpies IVE if you look in pictures then you will see i also got them, not that difficult if you use the right tactics really though i must admit they are cunning little critters lol but with the right tactics it can be done :sly:

Just looked ............I know whats involved just to shoot 1 of the ******* in a rural area ......good shooting........the picture I was refering to showed around 8 or 9 which were all taken out in 1 sitting .

Ive

Thanks mate :thumbs: got loads of them herring gulls were i shoot so i should have some fun :blink: thanks again for your help

i shoot quite a few gulls.wich are starting to be known as urban gulls,because they are nesting on and in churches,schools.and empty buildings pushing ferral pigeons out.just one tip if you get a few round your bait they will dive bomb you.i dont know what gun you are using.but when you have finished pick them all up and burn them.if you leave them they will not be eating by other vermin,even charlie wont touch urban gulls.good luck :sly:

Do you find maggies harder than crows....

They are both hard!

I have a little hidey hole that i can sit up in and know the maggies will eventually come to a sitty tree within range of me. It is a matter of waiting. This is not the most skilful of approaches as I am not doing any work really but I still get a sense of satisfaction!

As for crows I find them very hit and miss. I cannot see any pattern in their behaviour so results are sketchy. There is one tactic i did try for the first time last week and that was driving up the access road with the fields on either side and having a pop out of the window of the car. It is easier to get nearer the crows in the car than on foot, however they soon cottonned on!

why he wants to shoot seagulls for i dont know,all farmers got them not one of my farmers have ask me to shoot them,

the reason i shoot them is because they are a pest and DEFRA want them shot.thats a good enough reason for me. :)

Defra has them listed as a pest species and has issued a general license under Schedule two part two of the Wildlife & Countryside Act allowing their control without further consent if they become a pest.

Defra don't want them shot as such, they will allow you to shoot them if you can show that they are being a pest and causing damage or disease and if you can show that other means of deterring them are unsuitable or inneffective.

A pest is just an animal doing the wrong thing in the wrong place. I'm not saying don't do it, I am saying make sure you can show good cause. :lol:

airgun quarry

Why do people think that just because they are allowed to do something mean that they should do something? Remember a misplaced shoot if seen by the wrong someone could be deemed to be cruelty to animals, which if prosecuted for could be very unpleasent :)

Think before each shot, its yours and my sport that your risking.

ROB

I gotta agree with what Cranfield said above.

If you're seen plinking at Seagulls - you can expect a visit from PC Plod.

Although you ARE allowed to kill the 3 species listed above, as given on the DEFRA list. But unless you are using an FAC high-power rifle, you will need a dead-accurate head or neck shot to take out a Gull. And if you're out in the open, the other Gulls are very likely to attack you.

As an urban Feral shooter in a small seaside town - I'm often tempted, but I reckon it's definitely NOT worth it.

My biggest problem is avoiding dead & dying Ferals dropping onto some unsuspecting pedestrians from the rooftops !!

why he wants to shoot seagulls for i dont know,all farmers got them not one of my farmers have ask me to shoot them,

the reason i shoot them is because they are a pest and DEFRA want them shot.thats a good enough reason for me. :lol:

Defra has them listed as a pest species and has issued a general license under Schedule two part two of the Wildlife & Countryside Act allowing their control without further consent if they become a pest.

Defra don't want them shot as such, they will allow you to shoot them if you can show that they are being a pest and causing damage or disease and if you can show that other means of deterring them are unsuitable or inneffective.

A pest is just an animal doing the wrong thing in the wrong place. I'm not saying don't do it, I am saying make sure you can show good cause. :lol:

:lol: Thats a very contradictory quote.All pest species are treated this way ie shooting is a last result,but i quote my conversation with DEFRA today the 3 gulls that are on the hit list wont be scared away and they are rapidly growing and will be nown as urban gulls soon as they are nesting inland.SHOOT THEM. :lol: but i would not shoot one with a 12ft pound air rifle i shoot them with my rimfire and shotgun.all the best ;)