a quick question of fish

TJ91

what is the biggest fresh water fish in britain that can be legally caught with rod and line?

my friend has just got into fishing and asked me...i dont have a clue to be honest

i know carp can grow to a very good size but i am puzzled..

any ideas??

hes made the move from sea fishing to freshwater a few months ago

he has done alot of boat angling and had some huge fish, i know he wont find anything the size in fresh water but with the money and time he spends on it he will go anywhere in the country and sit for a week for a 'big un'

In the olden days before high protein baits and foreign mutants fish were introduced the record was held by a woman with a 64 lb salmon from the Tay. There were rumours of pike being found dead in exess of that weight and as others have pointed out the rarely seen let alone caught sturgeon grows much bigger. These days, monster carp grow to around 100lb on special diets and Wels Catfish grow even bigger. Both will test your wallet more than your skill though.

In the olden days before high protein baits and foreign mutants fish were introduced the record was held by a woman with a 64 lb salmon from the Tay. There were rumours of pike being found dead in exess of that weight and as others have pointed out the rarely seen let alone caught sturgeon grows much bigger. These days, monster carp grow to around 100lb on special diets and Wels Catfish grow even bigger. Both will test your wallet more than your skill though.

but not in the UK tho :lol:

In the UK you have catfish followed by carp and pike