Lupins

ernyha

:lol: Had a call from djlloyd tonight to tell me where we are shooting on Sunday (he is the fixture secretary and i,m the transport manager in the partnership)

Had spoken to the farmers and this week the action is going to be over LUPINS. Well at first I thought he was pulling my proverbial and had visions of setting up behind the bedding plants at a garden centre.

Apparantly one of our farmers has just sown a field of lupins and there is plenty of seed on the top and with plenty of pigeons in the area so we are going to give it a go.

Anyone else heard of this crop going in and more to the point, do pigeons like the seeds ?

Watch this space Sunday night to see whether we still have a shooting partnership or not. :lol::/

Lupins are a close relative of the pea or beans. Being a legume pigeons will love them. You will find the shooting just as good as shooting a new sown pea field.

You will get some good sport when they are harvested, there will be seed everywhere. I should think the sport later in the summer will be very similar to shooting over swathed rape, they will go bats for the stuff.

To the best of my limited knowlage Lupins are not poisionous to animals or man, the seeds of the lupin can be crushed to obtain "oil" that can be used for cooking. Please don't take this as "gospel" as i'm not 100% on this. So ern. if you get hungry don't eat the seeds just incase :lol::/

all the best yis yp :ph34r:

Up here in my areas of Scotland we have a lot of Lupins, last year there was good shooting just as they had been sown.

The big surprise came 2 weeks later when the farmers started to call me and tell me the Pigeons were hammering the plants as they came through the ground, unlike a Pea or Bean the seed comes above ground and formes the leaves, after 2 great weeks of shooting we still lost over 20 acres of crops, anything sown next to a wood was destroyed by the Pigeons, Rabbits and Roe deer. this year we have about 400 acres to look after plus for the first time Peas being grown in Aberdeenshire for whole crop silage.

:/ Well here goes then,this is what happened.

Got to the garden centre to carry out pest control on the lupins and Lloydy built his hide amongst the garden gnomes and i set up between the tool sheds and greenhouses :lol:

We met the farmer at 9-30 at the farm and he got in his motor and said follow me. We charged off down 4 miles of country lanes with me having a job to keep up with him and got to a big farm we didn,t even know he owned.He then raced round the tracks around the fields with me following a dust storm and my freshly washed motor (first time this year) ending up looking as if it had just come back from the deserts of Iraq.

Stopped by 2 huge freshly sown fields of lupins, small woods either end and looking perfect for shooting. Loads of seed on the top BUT it had a pink coating all over it. Not a pigeon or a crow in sight and until we get some rain to give it a wash, I don,t think there will be.

Lloydy had to give it a go though but I went back 2 fields to some rape where we had seen bird activity . I put up a hundred or so birds and set up in front of a patch of Christmas trees. The shooting was slow but ended up with over 30 and 3 rabbits that ventured out from the trees.

Lloydy soon made his way to the rape and did some roost shooting by the woods nearby and bagged a dozen.

So much for the lupins but we can see potential when the weather washes off the seed and when it starts chitting.

A pleasant day out never the less. :lol: