Extended ported chokes

bigcris0

Extended are easier to unscrew. I use a Teague friction key, so it's not that difficult with flush or extended - I have flush Teagues, extended Beretta Optima and Teague extended ported - in different guns.

If you have flush chokes - don't waste your money getting extended or ported. There is no point whatsoever except ease of changing.

i heard extended ported chokes open up the wad quicker on exit? dunno if true or not

Extended chokes constrict the shot load less violently than doing the same constriction over a shorter length such as with a shorter flush choke, meaning less crushed and deformed pellets and hence a better pattern. Deformed pellets tend to be aerodynamically unsettled and land as fliers way outside the normal pattern.

A ported choke, is effectively a ported muzzle. Ported muzzles are industry standard in firearms from handguns to shotguns, used for many many years for reducing muzzle jump and felt recoil. With shotgunning, I find a small increase in the speed I can get off an accurate second shot, as there is less muzzle flip with a good ported choke. I accept some people would neither feel the difference in recoil, nor be fast enough to make use of any reduced muzzle flip.

I have no info on ability for a ported choke to open a plastic wad. I use premium cartridges, and often at the pattern plate, I find many plastic wads have not even opened at all, yet I still have first-class patterns. I wouldn't worry about that and I doubt we will see hi-speed film confirmation any time soon.

In summary, they are not gimmicks, extended chokes are proven to be better for patterns, and a good ported choke will lessen felt recoil and reduce muzzle flip, this is laws-of-physics stuff and can't be argued with, not even over a pint :lol:

I do find them harder to clean, but I don't mind extra effort for knowing I get the best pattern and the fastest muzzle recovery for a second shot. I dip the chokes with the ports end in a small jar of bore cleaner for 20 minutes, then a quick scrub with an old phosphor-bronze brush and they're like new again.

Err... how do they reduce muzzle flip, when the ports are all around the circumference of the choke tube :hmm:

Now a muzzle break..that's a totally different thing altogether :rolleyes:

Because the back force is reduced all around, meaning that if gas energy is dissipated around the ports, that same portion of gas energy as it accelerates into the air won't be pushing back at you.

Muzzle flip is indeed reduced.

Physics, no need to roll eyes mate.

Edited by Chokemeister

Because the back force is reduced all around, meaning that if gas energy is dissipated around the ports, that same portion of gas energy won't be pushing back at you.

Muzzle flip is indeed reduced.

Of course, a pure muzzle-brake, such a top porting only, would do a more efficient job.

Physics, no need to roll eyes mate.

I was fortunate enough to be given a pair of teague extended ported chokes some months ago, they are a pain to clean easier to change with out a key (not that it matters as i only have 2 for an O/U) easy to check are still tight, one does seem to unscrew 1/2 a turn quite easily. I dont know if they make me shoot better or not but i know look the part as i have extended ported chokes likes the semi-pro's....

Edited by HDAV

i have both normal extended and ported and i must admit the break pattern with the ported is much better plus my scores are slightly better also. I was told that the ported ones strip the plastic wadding away better allowing for a better pattern.

I found a bit of KG1 carbon remover and toothbrush cleans them in a few minutes or a good cycle in the dishwasher, but dont tell the misses :good:

I do not believe the wad stripping theory.The wad remains constricted by the choke until the wad exits the choke and the wad passes through the choke in milli seconds. I might believe that the wad may be slowed down by the ports in the choke but the effect would be minimal.

I also fail to see what effect the holes in the choke have on muzzle flip because they are around the whole choke so the gas blast is equal all the way round,unlike ported barrels where the ports are on the upper surface of the barrel and may tend to push the barrel downwards.

If,however,some shooters think they of some benefit to them,then that is all that matters.

Vic.

Edited by VicW

Am I following the "logic" behind ported chokes reducing recoil? They allow the gas to go sideways - ah :unsure: :unsure:

Following this startling conclusion - if I drill even more holes, the gas will dissipate even faster. In fact, if I drill out the chokes until there was no choke left, this would be even better. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have ported chokes and have owned ported barrels. I saw zero difference. Ported chokes appear to be a sales pitch. If anyone can genuinely tell the difference with ported chokes, I will take up soot juggling and plaiting sawdust. These allegedly reduce recoil in a mysterious way. :lol: :lol:

Edited by Gordon R

The effect isn't huge, but they do reduce recoil. Even though some of the gasses escape 360 degrees around before the main shot charge leaves the muzzle (which in this case is the choke itself), that unavoidably means less gas forces (divided by time) during the instant the shot charge normally emerges from the muzzle.

I value the reduced muzzle flip far more than any admittedly small difference in shoulder recoil.

Psychological? A Placebo Effect" I don't know, but I shoot better with them, that's why I buy them time after time. Just like an expensive gun with a 'K' at the start of the name, you don't NEED one, but...

wouldnt get ported unless you have a little cleaning fary who doesnt mind scrubbing like a bitc*!! you wont notice the difference between extended or flush mate, its minute, whaat will a cm or so do to the parrent when it comes to reduced constriction time, diddly squat! :good:

You may be right, but if it's indeed placebo effect, then it works well for my simple brain... I simply shoot better with one. Especially on AT, where the extreme hard right clays are already miles away unless the second shot is taken instantly.