Getting a First gun and Certificate

swiftshot

After owning an airgun for six years I've decided to go for an upgrade. After initially hoping for a firearms cert I've now decided to try for a shotgun. This may sound stupid but i havn't a clue on the order i should go about trying to get one. I'm hoping to be able to use the same permissions as i do for my airgun but with a focus on pigeons instead but this is about as far as i got. What should i do now and in what order please.

Henry

firstly i would join a clay club and find the calibre that suits you and a gun that you are comfortable with and then practice on clay pigeons before you even think of shooting real pigeons, as this may result in a lot of wounded pigeons.

then when you feel compitent move on to the live quarry.

that is just my opinion but u will get others that differ or agree

flash

When applying for a shotgun cert' you do not have to give a reason for wanting one the only thing that will be insisted on is that you have secure storage normally that will involve a gun cabinet at around £100. You need someone to endorse a photo and application form.

After that i agree with the post above it doesnt have to be 1000s of clays a couple of hours with a good coach will do it for most people.

Good luck

neil

After owning an airgun for six years I've decided to go for an upgrade. After initially hoping for a firearms cert I've now decided to try for a shotgun. This may sound stupid but i havn't a clue on the order i should go about trying to get one. I'm hoping to be able to use the same permissions as i do for my airgun but with a focus on pigeons instead but this is about as far as i got. What should i do now and in what order please.

Henry

You'll require a Application form .............Your local Police Station might have them ...........If not they'll tell you where to write off for one .

As for what to apply for .....Well more info is required here I feel ?........No Police record I hope

Apply for Co-terminous(Joint shotgun and Firearm)

A valid reason is required on the Firearm ...........Pest/vermin for example .....Suitable land is also a must...........Your experience of firearms will have a bearing as well

Example of Guns to apply for .

Fac Airgun,.22lr & .17 hmr .............Like I said the latter two will require some knowledge from yourself about their lethal potential .........As with all guns really.

Get the application form and the forum will help you fill it in :sly:

Ive :thumbs:

Basically it YOUR RIGHT to own one as long as you are a decent chap it's the job of the police to find reasons why you SHOULDN'T own one.

If you have a history of violence then forget it or a history of depression again forget it. there ARE cases where people who go to jail for theft for 6 months and can STILL obtain the cert :sly:

I had a conviction for theft form being a youngster (i aint proud of it) and the stupid thing is it was for alledgedly stealing WOOD from a footpath. I was collecting firewood for an old lady and because the path was a public footpath and i never asked before taking the wood it amounted to THEFT :thumbs:

And a motoring conviction too after my insurance lapsed :lol: My own fault and i deserved every penny of the fine and the points but that was more than 15 years ago.

Even so i thought there MAY be a cause to refuse my application but i had NO bother what so ever. I was asked WHAT i wanted the shotgun for and informed them Pest control and clay pigeon shooting.

It took approx 2 to 3 weeks from handing in the application to getting my cert

I had to fit an alarm and of course the cabinet window locks etc. A lot of places you won't need to fit an alarm unless you have more than 10 guns in the cabinet but here they insist even if only 1.

No biggy as it's better that way anyway and the way I see it is if someone breaks in here and the address comes up on the police database they will be here **** hot :blink:

Best of luck and the last bit of info i can add is DON'T lye about ANY convictions as this will stand you in bad stead with the authorities.

And Cautions are NOT convictions so no need to put them down :blink:

Lord Geordie

Edited by Lord Geordie

Assuming you have a clean sheet and you've known a doctor, JP or Professional person etc for at least 2 years who'll countersign your photo's and form then it's pretty easy getting a SGC.

Wasn't a member of any clubs, I just told them I'd been sharing a shotgun at occassional clay shoots for years with a friend, which was true. That was it. I live in Hampshire and it can vary slighty from area to area.

I even bought the cab and fitted it so that the guy didn't have to return again to check, he saw it when he came on the first visit. I also requested a cancellation and I waited about 2 weeks to see the guy instead of probably 3 months!

No house alarm needed, and he was happy with the doors and windows anyway. Cabs start at about £75 or less for a small breakdown cab. I bought a £90 full-height one that took 2 shotguns. Have since sold and replaced it for a much bigger one, so just get a decent sized one to start with probably.

Happy shooting! :sly:

Thanks everyone this is all really helpful. I'm going to get some lessons off a guy from my area whos been shooting for ages and then a couple off the guys at minsterly ranges to prove i've had some good tuition. On the cabinet front the best place in my house is under the stairs as its a fairly large room with a concrete floor and brick walls to attach it to. The only doubt i have is a very low level window which could provide entry to the room from outside, i have fitted deadlocks to the frame but will this be enough. I don't have an alarm as we are miles from anyone who could here it.

Henry

Thanks everyone this is all really helpful. I'm going to get some lessons off a guy from my area whos been shooting for ages and then a couple off the guys at minsterly ranges to prove i've had some good tuition. On the cabinet front the best place in my house is under the stairs as its a fairly large room with a concrete floor and brick walls to attach it to. The only doubt i have is a very low level window which could provide entry to the room from outside, i have fitted deadlocks to the frame but will this be enough. I don't have an alarm as we are miles from anyone who could here it.

Henry

That sounds fine but best is to check with you local police. As you can see from the replies there are differences accross the country, some people are told to install an alarm some are not for example. Like the guys say if you haven't got convictions then you will be surprised how easy it is to get a shotgun licence (I was).

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.