guns on house insurance

spannermonkeymark

Check with insurer (be aware that call centre are unlikely to give a definitive answer and like the snow chain saga once they say something it can cause a big mess) but they come under "sporting goods" on most policies.

Legally held guns should be no issue if legally stored...

As the others mine are covered on my contents insurance, what is worth checking is, at what value do you you have to add them as a seperate item as this can vary with each insurance company. With one company they charged £10 for the first gun then nothing for the others, the new company made no charge at all.

Thanks all will be gettin intouch with my house insurance on monday

I include mine on my house insurance and have it as a named item up to £2500 value, it was only afew pounds extra and that includes when it is in my car or out in use also included for taking it to New Zealand for no extra, the insurance is RIAS, for over55's. It does have compensations and was cheaper than SAGA. from Auntie. :yes:

Posted this on the direct line post, more useful on this topic-

Just a word of warning, my folks had a fire a number of years ago, there house insurance were very difficult about guns as they should have been listed as separate items. Fire was in the same room as the guns. They happily paid for re painting the house, new carpets and everything else running into the ten of thousands, but the guns they had real issues with. I would strongly recomend that anyone let the insurance company know you have guns and how many and value. Could save alot of heart ache.

To add to this one gun was english and worth more than £2500 and to repair it was touch and go, if it failed the proofing then they it would mean trying to get them to pay for a new one. Getting a true English gun made to same quality would have cost thousands...according to the gunsmith. Lucky for them it passed.

after 10 years of internet sites have gone back to a old school broker due to the construction of my house being unconventional,and insurance companies are tightening up on every risk,they have insured the guns for damage and theft whilst in the house,so any damage will be done in the house!! and as for theft or loss outside the house well I just would not leave it un attended,and there was no extra cost