powder burns

jimdfish

Has anyone who shoots a semi noticed in winter that they get powder tattoos on their right hands. As my hands are chapping I seem to be geting dark spots on my knuckles a bit like a miners tatt. Not in summer but when I am shooting sub-zero i seem to get very dark patches over my knuckles. Very Weird.

jim

Come on Highlander!

I don't want rough, scaly skin like some other really rough shooters have.

Have to take a pride in my appearance.

I'll bet you are one of those lazy shooters that doesn't have a shave before going out for a pre-dawn foray after crows and foxes and thingummys.

Shame on you.

No wonder some shooters give others a bad name.

Off now for a nail manicure as one looks as though it is starting to split.

Don

As my hands are chapping I seem to be geting dark spots on my knuckles. Very Weird.

jim

jimdfish you sure you haven't got the plague...or worse bird flu :blink:

and as for dead eye duck...ladies hand cream??? I ask you! :thumbs:

If you have bird flu, you will know about it.. chances are you wont be out shooting a semi in the winter sunshine ever again if you do get it.. :sly:

Come on Highlander!

I don't want rough, scaly skin like some other really rough shooters have.

Have to take a pride in my appearance.

I'll bet you are one of those lazy shooters that doesn't have a shave before going out for a pre-dawn foray after crows and foxes and thingummys.

Shame on you.

No wonder some shooters give others a bad name.

Off now for a nail manicure as one looks as though it is starting to split.

Don

Do you drive an MX5?

Nope Snakebite - I do not drive an MX5, but son does.

He reckons that it's the best crumpet catcher going.

I drive a Subaru Forester - why?

It's got the biggest sun roof of any car.

I drive. One mate lamps out of the passenger seat, and t'other shoots out of the sunroof.

Bloody excellent it is, with the only problem being that Subaru don't do diesel.

This is 2nd that I've had. The 1st did 127,000 miles in 2.5 years, and this one has done 74,000 in 18 months. Neither have missed a beat.

One other major benefit is that it weighs very little, and so hardly marks the fields. Low ratio box is excellent - really ****** my mate off when I change to low ratio at any speed using one finger. With his Disco he needs to stop, and then put his size 10 on the low ratio lever to move it.

Chose my latest Forrester in metallic blue, as it matches me nail varnish - nice!

Have heard that Suzy Vitara's are very good too - probable that I will try one next time.

Don

I shot a mini gun competion with my mates Ruger semi and a spent cartridge landed on my arm, christ bit it burn  :lol:

:lol:

Once, whilst on exercise in my army days we got ambushed on exercise whilst picking up rations from a drop off. Me and my mate were were supposed to be covering the group going in to get the 10 man packs from under a bridge when the "enemy" opened up from the far bank about 150m away. We jumped into a dip near to the bank and started firing back to try to give the guys under the bridge time to get out, I was on the left, he on the right. I was unlucky enough to be carrying the LSW, which is the sh*tty support version of the SA-80, and was firing it on bursts. Almost immediately, my mate leapt up from the cover and started howling like a madman and flapping his arms about. Just as I was about to haul him off to the MO's tent for a sit down and some happy pills, he reached down the neck of his jacket and removed 3 very hot 5.56 spent blanks which had left the ejector port on the LSW and gone straight down his shirt! Once he had calmed down and I had stopped laughing, I manged to have a look at his neck and found 3 nasty red welts the shape and size of the spent cases :):lol: .

On the topic of the powder burns, I have never noticed this, and have been using an auto for a while now. I'll have a look next time I go shooting.

Pete

My mate shoots a 10/22 and over the last few months has had a problem with an eye irritation, in his right eye.

This thread has got me wondering if this could be caused by the same problem.

The doc has given him various potions but non appear to work.

What does the TEAM think, feasable or no.

Worth investigating me thinks? :)

Regards Sutty.

Jimdfish you are quiet likely correct in thinking that it is burt powder marking your hand,

I shoot a 391 at clays and although ive been wearing gloves latley,my trigger finger does get grubby from the powder,

Last week my mate was using some old Record cartridges and complaining about the recoil,so I said iwould swap him mine as i would be ok with them using the semi,

when I shot one of them, I noticed some flame as it ejected,and I must have got a bit of either unburnt powder or burnt powder blow into my eye,**** it did'nt half sting!

I've also noticed when using the auto ,if I rub my eye with my trigger finger,that can make it sore aswell.

All the best mick.