Are Screwfix really that cheap ?

Salop Matt

I'm not sure about prices. But the Screwfix mag is essential bog reading. I could stare at a page of DeWalt li-ion drills for at least an hour.

They seem to have got expensive over the last few years, I now use Toolstation, good prices but smaller range. Why don't you look out for used power tools, hand tools etc. from boot sales and second hand emporiums ?

I also have a screwfix book installed in the bog.....I need 2 DeWalt batteries, 14.4 an 18V, have you seen the prices :angry:

bog readers you need to get into 2011 get a smartphone you can then read pw instead of a crappy screwfix cat :good:

Screwfix used to be cheaper at one time B.T.W Toolstation OWNERS is a bit naughty as the owner of toolstation used to own Screwfix originaly but then sold off to Travis perkins who also own B&Q for loads of wonga and then opened toolstation no doubt to flog it and start all over again.

B&Q and Screwfix are owned by the Kingfisher group. Travis Perkins is a rival company

Living in the backside of nowhere I used to order off Screwfix as it was convenient and cheaper than running backwards and forwards to town.

Service became very shoddy about 18 months ago with messed up orders and multiple despatches. Plus side was they sent the same item twice and never came to collect the second one several times despite me badgering them. Then we just said nowt and took the bonus.

For real bargains on power tools I have found it pays to keep in touch with local trade suppliers as manufacturers often offer bulk buys and combo promotions to get their brand on the front counter. Ideal if you are casually building up a collection rather than after specific items.

One thing I learnt the hard way was the most expensive tools have the lowest price. Cheap **** that bends breaks and does a shoddy job and has to be replaced is not the way to go. Paying half as much again for a good one in the first place rather than twice the cheap price and still having a piece of junk would have been a better plan.

Nowt but Teng, De Walt etc. now.

Screwfix and toolstation are not in the game of offering cheap products anymore - they realised that they where better off letting homebase or tescos sell cheap DIY tools to the public.

If you have buying power(ie a company spending £X0,000's with a builders merchant, plumbers merchant or electrical wholesaler, you may get better buys elsewhere but for the small businessman or joe public wanting to buy tradesman quality tools or small amounts of materials they are pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

One the reason for screwfix prices rising is that certain dishonest customers of screwfix, not ME as I am a honest gun owning customer of screwfix sign a diffrent name on the deliver note and claims never to have recevied the items.

This sort dealing is what drives up costs of companys which equals price increases.

Cheers Cookie

One the reason for screwfix prices rising is that certain dishonest customers of screwfix, not ME as I am a honest gun owning customer of screwfix sign a diffrent name on the deliver note and claims never to have recevied the items.

This sort dealing is what drives up costs of companys which equals price increases.

Cheers Cookie

I dont use Screwfix or tools / components as I work in an office. I would hazard a guess however that the reason that there are price increases on these items is due to the price of oil increasing. Most of these tools and components are made of plastic which comes from oil. Most of these tools are transported on a big ship from China that uses a lot of fuel - which comes from oil. These tools are definately transported within the UK which involves vehicles using fuel - from oil. If the oil and fuel prices are high then everything we buy is going to increase in price.

I am sure that this is more of an accurate and intelligent summary than the unintelligible daubings above. Eh eh eeeehhhh.....

Edited by ME

I dont use Screwfix or tools / components as I work in an office. I would hazard a guess however that the reason that there are price increases on these items is due to the price of oil increasing. Most of these tools and components are made of plastic which comes from oil. Most of these tools are transported on a big ship from China that uses a lot of fuel - which comes from oil. These tools are definately transported within the UK which involves vehicles using fuel - from oil. If the oil and fuel prices are high then everything we buy is going to increase in price.

I am sure that this is more of an accurate and intelligent summary than the unintelligible daubings above. Eh eh eeeehhhh.....

The downside for you now ME is your unintelligible daubing is you cant EDIT it any more.

Cheers Cookie eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh