how often to clean a hmr barrel

kdubya

Been playing with my new to me HMR.17has had a box of 50 through it already but today I went to a a 100 yard range to fine tune the zero at 100! bit of wind and a LOT of snow but wow this gun is accurate if only I had the ability to match?

anyway a chap was firing his and remarked to me that I should be cleaning the barrel as I had put a box of 50 rounds through it, I replied why ? I was hitting a 1" target 4or5 (some through the same hole) times out of the seven shots and not more than a 1/4" inch off the target with the others just about every magazine, he then said I should clean the barrel every TEN shots? this seems a bit over the top does it not. this would mean cleaning in the field if out for bunnies.

so how often and how do you lads with a bit more experience than me of the HMR.17 clean the barrel

cheers KW

KW not had mine long enough to give you a truly educated answer but have been informed to clean every brick. I had the Quad down to clovers and have just cleaned the barrel after 60 or so rounds. Last trip was delivering unexpected results. So I guess its gonna take 10 rounds to bring her back in to spec. This was expected but I couldnt say she is run in fully yet.

i have put over 300 rounds down mine since i last cleaned it, its still spot on.

every ten shots is **** as it takes more shots than this for it to settle down again.

clean it, shoot it till you start missing. simple.

ps . had mine 18months,and its had about 5,500 rounds down it.

Edited by markbivvy

i have put over 300 rounds down mine since i last cleaned it, its still spot on.

every ten shots is **** as it takes more shots than this for it to settle down again.

Mark,

That's getting on for a grands worth of .17 ammo :blink: and shot about 10 rounds a day, god you sure do love your .17 don't you :sly: :blink: :thumbs:

I only clean mine every brick (50rnds) and that's just pull through with a bore snake or if things start to go amiss!

you will do for me mate!

ooh dear I have already cleaned it? I was using hornady 17g v max, again and also more duff info? I was told that they are the dirtiest rounds you can get

cheers KW

Hiya

I run the boresnake through every 250, not that the accuracy falls off in any way.

Just the one pass not the full on scrubbing and patch routine. Then again it gets a lot of use so isn't sitting around dirty for weeks on end and is stored in a pretty steady temperature environment but every 10 seems excessive!

The .22 was cleaned in 2004 and only then because it fell into tractor rut full of water!

Cheers

The 17 hmr, like the .22 magnum, has jacketed copper bullets and will foul heavly with copper if not cleaned after it goes inaccurate.

If in ragular use,( everyday or every other day) then no need to clean till accuracy falls off.

However, if when you do miss and its that lamb killing fox your after all those months, you will be kicking yourself for a long time. :lol:

The best bet is check zero before going out, then if off give it a clean, re zero and off you go. :)

Edited by Frank