National Gun Register

Gungadin

The names, addresses and personal details of all holders of Firearm Certificates and Shotgun Certificates is known to their County Police, together with details of their weapons, including serial numbers.

All a National Register has to do, is to consolidate that information.

Whats the problem ?

I do feel for their loss but, if a class 1 HGV driver drive his 18 wheeler into a school building would they then ban all lorries? What difference does the gun register make? Will we then be required to sit a compatence test to buy a carving knife? Will kids need a licence to buy a pensil sharpener?

The names, addresses and personal details of all holders of Firearm Certificates and Shotgun Certificates is known to their County Police, together with details of their weapons, including serial numbers.

All a National Register has to do, is to consolidate that information.

Whats the problem ?

with all due respect Cranfield, i thought the same when i sat my test's for licensing and ownership, "this could be a good thing" went through my mind, among others, what i then saw was a absolute disgraceful waste of taxpayers money and purpose sent blame to all gun owners as to the responsability (or lack thereof ) of lost, stolen, missplaced, unregistered, destroyed, modified firearms.

trust me you will be held responsable as gun owners.

the sole purpose of gun registry here was to eliminate the "BAD GUYS " getting firearms, removing ilegally held guns from the street and so on, and of cource we all know that works ,,,,,,,, dont we :) .

as to the general publics veiw, im sure the majority of them would probably be OK with a registry, lets be fair they know no difference do they, the only picture they have is the insane ability of the media to jump all over any incident involving a firearm, regardless of the fact it may have been stolen or legaly held, and paint it as black as toby's rear end, as has been said before, will they ban cars after the next RTA, or stop machining the second someone cuts off a finger, ect, ect.

the now Conservative government here is proposing to abolish the gun registry, what the answer is i dont know yet, but i will be looking out for my future in gun ownership i can tell you.

good luck to you, you seen the way the Australian gun laws went, i'd try not to let it happen again.

jmo

Martin

Edited by the last engineer

Can't understand the need for a Gun Register myself - after all, banning handguns after Dunblane stopped the illegal use of handguns.

Tell that to the relatives of anyone who has been shot since with an illegal weapon.

I would suggest that anyone caught with an illegal weapon would get a mandatory 10 year jail sentence. OK, reduce this to 5 years if it is an imitation firearm.

End of problem.

Only I suspect that with the help of all the well paid do-gooders in this namby pamby state this would be watered down to 10 hours community service.

Don

I do feel for their loss but, if a class 1 HGV driver drive his 18 wheeler into a school building would they then ban all lorries? What difference does the gun register make? Will we then be required to sit a compatence test to buy a carving knife? Will kids need a licence to buy a pensil sharpener?

Well said Axe.

I cannot see any benefit from the National Register.

It is the weapons that are unregistered that they need to worry about, but getting info on them is a little bit more difficult (surprise).

I haven't got any problem at all with every plod in the country knowing the details of my weapons. I just don't see how it will make them any safer than they already are.

I also don't see how the plods have managed to cock-up a relatively simple thing like combining each counties register into one database.