Angle grinder

ziplex

I need to cut two old copper water pipes potruding from a wall with limited access, can't really get a hacksaw in there......i've dug out the angle grinder but I can only find a stone cutting wheel, will this do the job or am I likely to knock my teeth clean out :hmm:

All the gear............no idea! :lol:

Mate I really wouldn't do this, copper is very soft and your stone disc will snag on it something awful, even if you get as far as bludgeoning your way through it you'll have shards of bloody hot copper flying all over the place. Even metal cutting discs drag on copper so a stone disc......... :no:

It's really hard to use a hacksaw or just a blade as the pipes are coming from a side wall and need to be cut back in a little as I need to plaster over after they're out.....looks like the old pipes that were used for a back boiler many moons ago. I can get the right disc if needed tomorrow but i'm impatient to get the very last job done on the fire place opening......just not keen to knock any fillings or eyes out :lol:

Not to panic PWs, if i hear a Bang tomorrow, i know he got his water and gas pipes mixed up :lol:

I would try to get in there with the hacksaw as mentioned just using the blade etc, good luck

Yeah..........keep your ears open for a thump and eyes peeled for a mushroom cloud, probably just about be able to see it from over there :lol:

How much of the stubs are sticking out? if they're dead and your walls are good and you're plastering anyway - just beat them flat/in with a hammer :D

Failing that a nice little slicing disc for a couple of quid is ideal for this kind of thing.

About 12" so need trimming back first.......

......Ian a pipe cutter would be a bit of a squeeze

Edited by ziplex

I train people all over the country to use hand held and pedestal grinders, the info you need is set out below, i hope it helps,

You require a silicone carbide disc to cut copper,stone and non ferrous soft metals,

Aluminium oxide discs are used to cut / grind hard metals such as steel

Silicon carbide is brittle but much harder than Aluminium oxide and is used on materials with low tensile strengths such as cast iron, non-ferrous metals and non-metallic materials (STONE)

Prior to use check out the expiry date on the wheel.

IF THE DATE ON THE DISC (METAL REINFORCING IN THE CENTRE) IS MORE THAN 2 YEARS OLD,REPLACE THE DISC.

DO NOT USE AN OUT OF DATE DISC THE DISC AS IT GREATLY INCREASES THE LIKELIHODD OF THE DISC DISINTEGRATING AND CAUSING SERIOUS / FATAL INJURIES.

The disc should have pictures and a description of what you can use it for, but also it will have have a series of letters and numbers on it which should read similar to this ( british standard identification marks)

C 36 T BF

C = SILICONE CARBIDE

36 = GRIT SIZE

T = MEDIUM TO HARD DISC

BF = SYNTHETIC RESINOID MATERIAL,REINFORCED WITH FIBRE GLASS

Don't forget to use appropriate ppe, Grade 1 impact resistant goggles, suitable respiratory protection, and ear defenders, gloves.

Just to clarify......these pipes were stuck out of the side of an opened up fireplace by about 10-12", both coming out from the left hand side but very close to the back wall hence difficult to get a hacksaw or blade on them. I wanted to cut them back rather than hammer the **** out of them as I didn't want to damage the bricks anymore that were surrounding the pipes! The little 4" wheel cut through them at an angle no problem, just bent the longer end of the cut pipes over and all is well :good: