Blue Drums for feeders

Why blue drum? They are a total eye sore in the country side and make our green and pleasant land look a right mess.

Try and find some steel drums and paint them green and brown, look so much better and are vermin proof, we got some from a bus depot, ex grease cans, took some cleaning out but have lasted for years.

It seems that you can go to almost any small repair garage and they are well stocked up with drums that suppliers have not recollected. (Oil).

Most garages will give you them just to get rid of them. Means you have to clean them out but I have never had to pay for one. This is the case in East Anglia.

You can also often find them in skips on industrial sites.

Why blue drum? They are a total eye sore in the country side and make our green and pleasant land look a right mess.

Try and find some steel drums and paint them green and brown, look so much better and are vermin proof, we got some from a bus depot, ex grease cans, took some cleaning out but have lasted for years.

Agreed ^^^

HI, the syndicate i work for get all manner of sizes and colours for me to turn into feeders all i do is look on ebay for m.o.d matt green or black paint this stuff sticks to anything and covers in one coat, i have even painted the landrover i use over the shoot with the stuff.

covey

Blue adds a bit of colour to the countryside :good: just like Bluebells :blush: and it makes it easier for the Pheasants to find them :lol:

I bought some tin dustbins from Scatts, they were only £10 each and filled, last twice as long between topping up as the Blue ones I was using previously. :yes:

Edited by EMcC

visit your local indian restaurant they have curry ingredients delivered in these blue drums which can be converted to feeders, or there was a guy on evil bay selling loads at the start of last season

Your better off getting blue drums as most pheasants which come from estates are used to feeding from blue feeders.

Bright coloured drums are easier to find when doing a feeder run to refill them.

By all means use camo feeders if you wish: good luck remembering where they are located a couple of months into the season...

Agreed to all of the above.

I know of one PW member who did an excellent job in obtaining plastic drums for feeders by visiting a number of Indian restaurants on a fortnightly basis. He provided the syndicate with a significant number of drums at his own expense in time and fuel.

The drums usually blue, soon lose their shine and don't stand out too much, although I would suggest painting any that could be seen from public footpaths etc.

webber

• 3 weeks later...

take the advice on the indian take away option, i did that and when i phoned up for a takeaway asked if they had any, i now get them deliverwed with my takeaway and whenever thay have any spares, got about 12 in the garden at the mo waiting to be made up into feeders.............and all for free :good:

Those 45 gallon blue plastic drums will NOT hold the weight of wheat if filled. They twist and are awkward to move if you need to. Not actually had one collapse but I only have one that I put 4 legs onto as an experiment. The small blue ones are OK but for the 45 gallon (205L) size then go steel.

A

Those 45 gallon blue plastic drums will NOT hold the weight of wheat if filled. They twist and are awkward to move if you need to. Not actually had one collapse but I only have one that I put 4 legs onto as an experiment. The small blue ones are OK but for the 45 gallon (205L) size then go steel.

A

Got quite a few big ones out we use three springs in each, but never more than two bags of wheat in each, if you fill one then its a big job if you get a blockage, why use 45gal drums???? they were free :good:

Edited by malantone