Pike fishing

red_stag88

I didn,t realise that Draycote allowed pike fishing.

Is it lures and fishing from boats only ?

I would certainly increase your reel line strength, 12lb would be my minimum and I would probably use 15lb braking strain.

I get concerned at the short wire traces that are sold ready made, for lure fishing.

I wouldn,t use anything less than a 12 - 18" trace.

Its suprising how far back in its throat, a large pike can "inhale" a lure.

Better safe than sorry, is a good motto when pike fishing. :lol:

what rod do you use redstagg_88 ? It sounds like the gear you are using is on the light side. You would possibly be wise to step up your breaking strain to 15lb, I believe draycote contains some large pike, they will certainly smash 10lb line on the take if your not careful.

As regards areas to try - find out where the recently stocked trout have been hanging about and the pike won't be far away. The mild weather we have at the moment should see plenty of trout in the shallower water.

Pike should be thinking of spawning at the moment or they may possibly have spawned. Pre and post spawning pike are usually very agressive and will fall readily to lures. If you have any large spoons give them a try, you are able to work the depths better with spoons.

Be sure to move about if action is slow in certain areas and ask the trout fishermen where is fishing well for trout and ask if any have had pike attack or follow hooked trout. Good luck

I hope draycote is ok with pike fishing, i was told to contact the office but they gave me no number!

I do have a fealing my gear is aabit on the light side, only a telescopic rod, but i have been barble fishing with it! My friend is a big carp person and has two rods, i will borrow one of his. I make my own traces so 18" it shall be! I dont have any large spoons, wont trout bve tempted to them too? I am more incluned to use plugs just in case i get seen hauling out trout!

p.s. You spelt my bl**dy name wrong BD, you do actually live up to your name! :lol: