slow cooker

peejay

Use an older bird or beast,coat in seasoned flour and fryuntil sealed and lightly browned.Then use alcohol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beer or stout for dark meats,wines for delicate flavours and cider if your using sweet veg or fruits(apples/squash/apricots...).

Just experiment and accept,with a laugh when it goes 7!75 up,but they are bomb proof :P

I'll see if I've got any recipes tonight but it's pretty much what HD said - experiment.

The last time I used mine I was in a bit of a rush so cheated. Quartered an old cock pheasant, added a tin of Campbell's mushroom soup (or was it a jar of something? - don't know), chopped onion, stock, seasoning, vegetables and cut off some small lumps of stilton and tossed them in. Fezzie in Blue Cheese sauce - serve with vegggies and spuds (and wine). House stunk of blue cheese for about two days so I wasn't popular, but it tasted good.

Also did something similar with Paprika and Partridge, although I used way too much hot paprika :yp:

Have a look around on the internet for ideas and substitute any chicken recipes for game. The 'Mericans call them "crock pots" so searching for that might give more hits.

Piebob

Mmmmm, thats got me going have a try at this....

Two table spoons of plain flour in a bag along with a good pinch of salt n pepper. Add your diced meat to the bag and coat. Remove excess flour and fry to golden and seal then add to the pot. Chop and fry to golden 1 large onion, add a tablespoon of tomato puree, 2 teaspoons of Paprika, 1 teaspoon of dried Thyme, 1 bay leaf, 1 large **** of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of cracked black pepper and 1 can of Guinness original. Stir to mix and pour in the pot. Add to pot 1 stick of celery roughly chopped and 1 large carrot roughly chopped. Cook for a minimum of 2 1/2 hours. Serve with Dumplings and seasonal veg.

With our slow cooker if we are using it we tend to have it on for several hours, and stick most of the veg and tatties in as well then when you come back in after your day out the meal is ready without any faffing about.

Also missus uses it a lot when I am out shooting so there is no real need for an exact time to return (give or take a couple of hours after dark).

Trev

Mmmmm, thats got me going have a try at this....

Two table spoons of plain flour in a bag along with a good pinch of salt n pepper. Add your diced meat to the bag and coat. Remove excess flour and fry to golden and seal then add to the pot. Chop and fry to golden 1 large onion, add a tablespoon of tomato puree, 2 teaspoons of Paprika, 1 teaspoon of dried Thyme, 1 bay leaf, 1 large **** of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of cracked black pepper and 1 can of Guinness original. Stir to mix and pour in the pot. Add to pot 1 stick of celery roughly chopped and 1 large carrot roughly chopped. Cook for a minimum of 2 1/2 hours. Serve with Dumplings and seasonal veg.

hi Axe

could you please refrain from posting things like this. as my tongue is now on the floor. :lol:

cheers lads. experimented today with basics. 1 leek,onion,mushrooms,clove of garlic well chopped,carrot,and 2 well jointed rabbits, did it on low setting for nearly 9 hours, BLOODY MARVELOUS.. trying spare ribs in bbq sauce on thurs.. cheers.

We use ours for a good beef stew each week. I also cook rabbits in it. I joint the meat, then pop it in, cover with gravy/wine/herbs etc and cook on high for 7 hours or so. The meat then almost falls off the bone. At the weekend I stripped the meat off after doing this and stuck it in a pie with fried onions and mushrooms. Very tasty. Also good for curries. Cook everything up in a frying pan and fuzz it in. I find that browning stuff/heating it up in the frying pan adds to the flavour and texture.