Nissan X-trail

goldeneye243

I am currently considering getting an X-trail, but put off with the reports of turbo failures on the 2.2 DCi which would probably be the engine of choice.

Are they as bad as a google search would suggest or is it isolated cases?

I would suggest having a hunt around on the X-Trail forums, particularly http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/. As far as I know it was not just an isolated problem but neither was it as big a problem as the internet makes out. as far as I remember (because it was about 2.5 years ago I researched this) it affected the earlier T30 models and not the later T30 models. I decided that it was not a big risk so I bought my 06 XT when she was 2.5 years old and have had no problems with it other than replacing the front brake discs and fuel filter. I would think that for the ones that did have problems to be still on the road they would have had to be sorted out by now.

Incidentally it seemed to be an issue with the turbo and the intercooler. The car has won to many awards to be such a bad car and don't forget that people are much more likely topost on the internet if they are unhappy rather than happy.

I have a Nissan X-Trail 2.2 dci on a 55 plate. I had this from new and initially it was the wife's car. I took it over from her about a year ago as she had the new "family" car. Suited me as I wanted to use it for my shooting....:-)and not have to wash it every time I borrowed it. Why is that important that it was the wife's car?, well here is why. It had to have a new turbo inter-cooler at about 35k miles. Up until that point it had been faultless......and since the new turbo (an Essex Turbo Service Exchange Unit) it has again been faultless.....

The fault with X-Trail was the inter cooler leaking oil into the turbo unit, now I am no mechanic so please excuse the non mechanical language.....This was picked up at the service by the local Nissan dealer.....It didn't appear to affect performance but I was advised that if it was not replaced then other problems would occur (no idea what).....So had new turbo and inter cooler fitted. Also pressure sensors needed replacing as these were fouled.....Lots of ££££ i'm afraid.....

Anyway, back to the wife....She used it for driving to work and back and that was it, it was about 3 miles each way, it never got a good run at all as when we went anywhere we used my car. It appears from talking to the Nissan technicians and Nissan forums that if the 2.2 dci is only used for short journeys and does not really get up to working temperature then this can lead to turbo failure. I was told (now this is where I could have been spun a line) that if it is only used for short journeys then the oil does not circulate properly. The advise is that if you only do short journeys then when you reach your destination just let the engine idle for about 30 seconds before turning off.....As I said, I'm no mechanic so I have no idea if this sound advice or not.....Turbo failures do happen on Nissan's but I am not too sure how widespread this is.....I chalked this down to just bad luck......One thing is the Exchange unit does whistle a little more that the original one but not annoyingly so.

Would I buy another X-Trail, yes I would.....I think that the Google search does bring up Turbo failures and this does appear to be quite common but it is easy to find faults with most makes and models. Do a search on "BMW Turbo Failures" or Renault or any make for that matter. That's the beauty of the internet, every car you consider will appear with one problem or another and everyone can post their bad experiences. As I said I would buy another one.....

Ive had 2 xtrails....

first one was the earlier 112bhp model.....only problem i ever had was the airflow meter.....

it had 69k when i bought it and 99k when i part ex'd it for a newer xtrail.

second one was the 2.2dci 136bhp model.......biggest thing on this one was the fuel consumption....

1st one did just under 40mpg around the doors and 45ish on a run

2nd one was high 20's round the doors and just under 40 on a run.

they are quite capable off road for a "soft roader".....no good for serious mud plugging....

put AT2's on and will be very good off road, you cant get AT2's for the 17" rims that was on my 2nd one.

loads of room inside and huge sunroof....

shaun

As always - those with problems are the most vocal of people. Those that are happy, just tootle on without problems and don't shout about it.

We have a 55 plate SVE DCi - awesome car. We put a set of Pirelli Scorpions on it a day before all the snow hit last year - didn't struggle once even going over the Cotswolds several times a week beating and shooting.

As always - those with problems are the most vocal of people. Those that are happy, just tootle on without problems and don't shout about it.

We have a 55 plate SVE DCi - awesome car. We put a set of Pirelli Scorpions on it a day before all the snow hit last year - didn't struggle once even going over the Cotswolds several times a week beating and shooting.

Andy: Looking at your pic you seem to have modified it quite a bit.... losing two of the doors in the process :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a 54-plate 2.2 dci sport which I've been driving every day for 3 years. Great car, agree with everything other posts have said. Huge boot with plenty of room for dog and shooting gear. Take it offroad occasionally(ok, stubble fields, muddy farm tracks) and had no problems. Sensible mpg - like the fact you can switch between 2WD and 4WD which adds to the economy.

One problem I had very recently was the fuel pump - and this only happened once. Was leaving work and the car wouldn't go any faster than 25 mph. Bloody scary, I can tell you (especially on a foggy night). Took it to a Nissan dealer on the way home and left it with them. Phone call the next day - they ran a diagnostic test on it and it came up with fault code P0089 (faulty fuel pump). Google this code, apparently a common problem with older x-trails. The guy quoted me £2000 for a new pump plus a day's labour!!! Nissan parts aren't cheap evidently.

I decided not to go ahead with the work, picked the car up and it drove fine (and has done ever since - this was the first week in January). Fingers crossed it won't happen again. Aside from this, the car has been faultless and I would buy another.

Hiya

Just to add a slight different choice I have an 04 plate face lift (2nd version) X-trail SVE with a 2ltr petrol engine and to be honest it has been faultless, I love it and would not change it.

I had read all the reviews on the diesel which put me off and had read all good reviews on the petrol except for the fuel consumption not being amazing so thought I would try one.

I get about 30mpg from it which to be fair isn't bad considering it is fairly big and heavy, I run Yokohama geolander g12 at tyres on it and it has never struggled once in mud or snow etc

I know everyone will probably say buy the diesel but honestly I can't fault the petrol version

Cheers good luck with whatever you choose

Edited by saxosim

I have a 54-plate 2.2 dci sport which I've been driving every day for 3 years. Great car, agree with everything other posts have said. Huge boot with plenty of room for dog and shooting gear. Take it offroad occasionally(ok, stubble fields, muddy farm tracks) and had no problems. Sensible mpg - like the fact you can switch between 2WD and 4WD which adds to the economy.

One problem I had very recently was the fuel pump - and this only happened once. Was leaving work and the car wouldn't go any faster than 25 mph. Bloody scary, I can tell you (especially on a foggy night). Took it to a Nissan dealer on the way home and left it with them. Phone call the next day - they ran a diagnostic test on it and it came up with fault code P0089 (faulty fuel pump). Google this code, apparently a common problem with older x-trails. The guy quoted me £2000 for a new pump plus a day's labour!!! Nissan parts aren't cheap evidently.

I decided not to go ahead with the work, picked the car up and it drove fine (and has done ever since - this was the first week in January). Fingers crossed it won't happen again. Aside from this, the car has been faultless and I would buy another.

Sounds like a similar problem a friend had....The car would splutter for a few seconds lose all power and have no response. Next moment it drove fine.....When I took it out for a drive it drove as if it had bad fuel and was unresponsive one moment and fine the next. It seemed to occur at a steady throttle setting, when really giving it some power it seemed ok. It would not happen for days or even a week then it would happen again. It turned out to be the insides of the fuel filter had stated to disintegrate and block the flow of fuel. This was replaced for about £70.00 fitted at the main dealer.....

Ive had 2 xtrails....

second one was the 2.2dci 136bhp model.......biggest thing on this one was the fuel consumption....

the only reason i got rid of mine was the fuel consumption

mine was the 2.2 dci 136 sport,great motor just bad on fuel

180003_1505082991027_1352836617_1297373_5653919_n.jpg

thats why its called the 136 Sport and not the 136 Economy

If its economy you're after, Buy a Fiat Panda 4x4

mine was a 136 aventurer.... :P my first one was the sport...

the difference between the 112 and the 136 was silly....

dunno what the new 170 is like.....totally different engine ie 2.0 rather than 2.2

shaun

only from the trader but here is the 2.0 dci 173

Fuel consumption (urban) 36.2 mpg

Fuel consumption (extra urban) 50.4 mpg

Fuel consumption (combined) 44.1 mpg

and the 2.2 sport 136

Fuel consumption (urban) 31.4 mpg

Fuel consumption (extra urban) 45.6 mpg

Fuel consumption (combined) 39.2 mpg

Edited by cooky