20 bores

dodeer

I see a lot of people who think that 20 bores are the 'in thing'. Then they use cartridges with 16 bore loads in them. Defeats the object as far a I can see. All you get is a dam great kick in the shoulder.

There are plenty of light 12 bores to choose from if they don't want to carry a heavy gun about.

Rottweil Tigers seem to be popular with 20 bore users.

If you are having ejection problems you will more likely than not find that the cartridge crimp is opening wider than the rest of the case and causing sufficient friction to prevent ejecting. Some Express and Gamebore loads do this and 20 bores struggle to eject them. Try winchester rangers they eject superbly from most 20 bores.

20 bores are a great little gun to use and suit a lot of people. The main reasons they are used in preference to a 16 bore are they are more widely available in over and unders and also you get a wider range of cartridge choice.

Rjimmer, 16 bore will fire similar loads to the twelve bore so i can see no reason for their use. A very similar point to the one you made regarding the 20 bore. Its up to the individual when it comes to gauge choice.

I have a Berreta 687 Silver Pigeon II 20 bore game model and I really like it. The only problem that I have is it doesn't eject some carts ok. It is better with plastic wadded carts. In fact I think my 20 has improved my shooting!

Rrimmer- do you know who sells Rottweil Tigers? Do you know how much they are?

The carts seem more pricey than the 12's I buy e.g. Express 28g 6 shot £4.25 a box. Does anyone know a reasonably priced load?

thanks.

Rrimmer- do you know who sells Rottweil Tigers? Do you know how much they are?

The carts seem more pricey than the 12's I buy e.g. Express 28g 6 shot £4.25 a box. Does anyone know a reasonably priced load?

thanks.

There are some here to give you a price comparison in Dollars.

http://www.gunshop.com/jmar5.htm

There is bound to be someone reading this that has seen them recently.

My son use's a 20 Bore Beretta 686 using sub-sonic cartridges throuh it no ejector trouble but the only reason I let him use one is he is only 8 years old and it's light and doe's not kick him. But the day he is able to use a 12 thats what he will use as if your going to do a job use the best tool for that job 20 are ok but not as effective as 12's

I Shoot with an Investarm folding shot gun. Its a 20 Bore and I use 28 Gram loads usally Express or Thomas Turner Tigers ( Made By Eley I Think) Both are good and they kill cleanly as long as I dont start geting cocky and trying any long range shots. But I hate to Admit it after a 100 Odd shots My sholder starts to Hurt and I get brused. I fited a thi

I Shoot with an Investarm folding shot gun. Its a 20 Bore and I use 28 Gram loads usally Express or Thomas Turner Tigers ( Made By Eley I Think) Both are good and they kill cleanly as long as I dont start geting cocky and trying any long range shots. But I hate to Admit it after a 100 Odd shots My sholder starts to Hurt and I get brused. I fited a thi

Like I said. Putting 16 bore loads up a 20 bore barrel!!

I think 20 Bores Are fine when you use a low gram cart at close range but I would have thought that you would need a little more poke if you want to take out birds a bit longer away thats why I use heavy loads. Alright they kick a bit it dosent bother me much and with the recoil pad I cant feel a thing.

If it aint broke dont fix it. ;)

Well im getting so fed up with mine im selling it! I've looked at a lovely 12bore Winchester game gun and or Silver Pigeons or a Browning Waterfowl.

If anyone is interested its a 20 bore Berreta 687 Silver Pigeon 2,

28 " barrels,

3" magnum chambers,

single ,selective trigger,

1/4 + 1/2 choke.

A very pleasey gun to shoot and look at .

Accept £850 or swap 12 bore game o/u.

I'm located in Dorset.

Well im getting so fed up with mine im selling it! I've looked at a lovely 12bore Winchester game gun and or Silver Pigeons or a Browning Waterfowl.

Is the Winchester a Model 23?

I've got one and I like using it, but I don't know of anybody who has had one that did not have trouble with them, including me!

No it's a o/u. I also know a keeper who has a 23 for sale. Its a supergrade, single trigger, 3" chambers, 1/4 + 1/2 choke. He's had it since new i think and has put 2000 carts through it- very low. I'm selling it for him so if you know of anyone interested ?

No it's a o/u. I also know a keeper who has a 23 for sale. Its a supergrade, single trigger, 3" chambers, 1/4 + 1/2 choke. He's had it since new i think and has put 2000 carts through it- very low. I'm selling it for him so if you know of anyone interested ?

Sounds like mine except the choking is different. Mine has twenty five and a half inch barrels.

Great gun when they're working.