Help! Browning 525 or Beretta Silver Pigeon 1.

Shropshire_Lad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi paul..

Both very nice guns...

Cant really say anymore thats been said already..

After buying the bettinsoli everybody said i should of gone for a beretta sp1 because itll last a life time an be worth something when i come to change it in a few yrs...their prob right......

Good luck with your buy..

Like the sound of a meet up...

I think doverridge is a good place to just turn up and shoot, as long as I don't get lost again, don't know what the grounds are like going towards Wales. The SP 1 bought needs a test run, must admit I am now biased towards berettas and benelli's s/a as most of them are the best fitting for me off the shelf.

If you go for the SP 1, think Tom still has 3 l/h 28" barrells left in stock, not showing if sporters or field versions.

Edited by BerettaSV10

I think doverridge is a good place to just turn up and shoot, as long as I don't get lost again, don't know what the grounds are like going towards Wales.

Not been to doveridge but derby certainly isn't very close saying that mid Wales shooting ground isn't either...I guess somewhere around Hereford/worcester is midway

With your build I would go with the Beretta 686 30 inch Sporter with the 35mm drop at comb as I think the 38mm will be a little low for you. I may be wrong but its not often when you give a good description of yourself as you have done. :good:

Hi Coach, thanks for taking the time to reply :good: So do you mean the sporter Beretta over the field version of the 686? is there much weight gain on these guns as it will be carried quite a bit.

atvb Paul.

Hi paul..

Both very nice guns...

Cant really say anymore thats been said already..

After buying the bettinsoli everybody said i should of gone for a beretta sp1 because itll last a life time an be worth something when i come to change it in a few yrs...their prob right......

Good luck with your buy..

Like the sound of a meet up...

Hi Lee, I love the wife's Bettinsoli and the only reason for going for one of the big two is this may be the gun I hope to stick with long term so want to get it right, its taken 27 years to be in this position! watch this space for the meet up.

atvb Paul.

I think doverridge is a good place to just turn up and shoot, as long as I don't get lost again, don't know what the grounds are like going towards Wales. The SP 1 bought needs a test run, must admit I am now biased towards berettas and benelli's s/a as most of them are the best fitting for me off the shelf.

If you go for the SP 1, think Tom still has 3 l/h 28" barrells left in stock, not showing if sporters or field versions.

All field as I was there yesterday, now coach has thrown the sporter in the mix :wacko: just about to track down a clay ground to suit us all.

atvb Paul.

Have been here a couple of times with czowners;

http://www.edgehill-shooting.co.uk/

relaxed and cheap with a great two man high tower flush, 25 cartridges each and clays coming from all heights and angles from two towers high on a hill! great fun. I would be willing to take a car full from this end.

atvb Paul.

Looked on one web sight the weight of the 686E sporter is showing as 3.55 kgs or 7.8 lbs

Weight of a SP 2 (could not find SP 1) showing as 3.1 kgs or 6.8 lbs

The field versions will probally have a auto saftey feature, meaning you will need to remember to turn it back off before shooting the next pair of cartridges.

With the field version some people may need to use 21G cartridges to prevent hard recoil recoil (as mentioned earlier).

The sporter gun can be classed as a all round gun suitable for all aspects of the sport, although its a 1 lb heavier than the field version.

My prefered option for barrel length is also 30", others will prefer 28". I have shot with a 686 sporter and found it to be a lovely gun, I almost bought one.

Have been here a couple of times with czowners;

http://www.edgehill-shooting.co.uk/

relaxed and cheap with a great two man high tower flush, 25 cartridges each and clays coming from all heights and angles from two towers high on a hill! great fun. I would be willing to take a car full from this end.

atvb Paul.

What sort of time would you want to leave, checked on multi map looks do able, would like to hitch a ride.

Looked on one web sight the weight of the 686E sporter is showing as 3.55 kgs or 7.8 lbs

Weight of a SP 2 (could not find SP 1) showing as 3.1 kgs or 6.8 lbs

The field versions will probally have a auto saftey feature, meaning you will need to remember to turn it back off before shooting the next pair of cartridges.

With the field version some people may need to use 21G cartridges to prevent hard recoil recoil (as mentioned earlier).

The sporter gun can be classed as a all round gun suitable for all aspects of the sport, although its a 1 lb heavier than the field version.

My prefered option for barrel length is also 30", others will prefer 28". I have shot with a 686 sporter and found it to be a lovely gun, I almost bought one.

thanks for that, a 1lb heavier is a ******. I would want to use it as a walkabout gun too :hmm: Tucked in a hide my 25" barrels are not to long either but 30's may start to be a pain. Thats it then, going to have to stretch my neck a bit :D

atvb Paul.

• 1 month later...

Well after much umming and arring I've ended up with a Silver Pigeon 111 sporter. Second hand but in great condition for less than the price of a new sp1. Looking foreward to giving it a whirl! Does seem to fit me better than the field version as I was looking into the back of the one I tried, we shall see.

atvb Paul.

Well after much umming and arring I've ended up with a Silver Pigeon 111 sporter. Second hand but in great condition for less than the price of a new sp1. Looking foreward to giving it a whirl! Does seem to fit me better than the field version as I was looking into the back of the one I tried, we shall see.

atvb Paul.

Looks like we have both been shoping, just traded in my Broning 525 and picked up a silver pigeon 1 sporter. Already took it for a test feels nice to handle, score could of been better, some of the stands were pretty tough.

Looks like we have both been shoping, just traded in my Broning 525 and picked up a silver pigeon 1 sporter. Already took it for a test feels nice to handle, score could of been better, some of the stands were pretty tough.

Excellent! Why trade in the 525? it was a tough call for me, could of gone either way. Being a lefty limits your choice and the SP111 came at a good price as well as being a factory lefty.

atvb Paul.

I had the cast altered on the 525 to fit while ago, but was having recoil shock problems, fired around 250 cartridges last Thurs and my shoulder was still sore on Sunday. Which probally could of been cured by adding a kick eze pad. The other main consideration was that my other guns are Berettas and get on with them well.

Did not fancy having the stock cut to fit a kick eze pad, the stock was a lacquerd finish and was not to sure about cutting into this. I was also thinging what if the kick eze did not solve every thing. So thought I would get a Beretta as I now they suit me.