Clocks to go forwards 2 hours.

CZ550Kevlar

Turns out our beloved government leader mr Cameron has given his approval to a scheme for the clocks to go forwards 2 Hours in summertime to make better use of the daytime hours. Not only are they taking more of our money and cutting things but now they want to screw our days up even more. What`s next an 8 day week.

Turns out our beloved government leader mr Cameron has given his approval to a scheme for the clocks to go forwards 2 Hours in summertime to make better use of the daytime hours. Not only are they taking more of our money and cutting things but now they want to screw our days up even more. What`s next an 8 day week.

As far as I am aware that is incorrect. The idea is to put us in line with Central Europe Time, in other words our clocks would be permanently at British Summer Time (i.e. GMT +1)

For one I think it's a fantastic idea, no more putting clocks forward and back and at the end of the day I would much rather have more daylight at the end of the day, not the beginning!

When they were discussing it on the news earlier, the proposal was to go forward one hour to Europen time but still have the extra hour at summer (so that would be GMT+2).

The often quoted argument would be more deaths on the road in the darker mornings but apparently this is countered 3 to 1 by fewer deaths in the longer evenings, due to many more people bing active on the roads near sunset compared to sunrise.

Personally I would vote for it given the chance.

I remember the experiment of not putting the clocks back ( early seventies) it was a disaster

pitch black till nearly 10 am it was a bad winter as well so every thing was frozen till god knows when in the day,the day lads on 8x4 loved it they got next to nowt done, they never tried it again? on a personal note I would hate putting the clocks forward 2 hours as during the summer early doors on a golf course potting bunnies is heaven spoilt only by the early rise must get a round in before work brigade, if its dark longer on a morning less time before the ball chasers turn up and ruin things.

KW

Why try it again, when it failed the last time!! completely pointless and a waste of money.

No it did not fail last time. For the great majority of the population, it works very well. Yes it is darker in the mornings up north [which is kind of where I live] but lighter in the evenings.

It will save energy and lives and will put us on the same time zone as our neighbours in Europe, making it easier to do business with them.

I cannot see how it will be "a waste of money".

The only European countries currently on UK time are Portugal & the Republic of Ireland. I have not got a clue what Portugal will do but most Irish politicians say thay will follow what happens in the UK [there is a General Election in Ireland on Friday]. The only ones who say no are - wait for it - those that don't like the Brits and thankfully they are in a huge minority these days.....

Yes it will be tough on some Scottish farmers particularly those in the north west but they are a resilient and resourceful lot and will work it out. I think their names were being taken in vain by some of those who were against it all last time around.

Bring it on

Me personally-i'd prefer it to be light earlier in morning.Means i can start work earlier and finish earlier. :good:

Spot on, I think it would be a good idea to retain GMT all year, its a natural time with the sun bearing due south at noon. But then I am a morning person - turn into a pumpkin long before mid-night.

Blackpowder

The ealier experiment of this was good for wildfowlers. You didn't have to get up so early for a morning flight and you could fit in an evening flight on the way home from work. I am all in favour of lighter evenings. But having said that - no matter what you do with the clock you don't get any more daylight. Celestial mechanics have control of that.

The only European countries currently on UK time are Portugal & the Republic of Ireland. quote]

have you ever contemplated that that is due to them being on the same 0 deg meridian? rather than "personal preference" :hmm:

KW

Edited by kdubya