Taking a shotgun to the Premier Inn overnight

smiiithy

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at a Premier Inn and took a gun with them?

I am going to the shooting show at Newark next weekend. Booked a room at a Premier Inn and called them about a month ago to ask if I could take my gun. They said they would check with the security team and get back to me.

Still no response yesterday so I called them back and they advised me they had spoken to the security team who weren't keen, but had contacted the local firearms licensing who had no issues, so they had been back in touch with the security team to tell them to make a decision and give me a call.

Called them again today after missing their call and they told me the security team had said no. :oops:

ATB,

Mike

Edited by smiiithy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit, I never thought to ask! I carried my Browning in a Napier take-down bag when I went 'darn Sarf', you know, one of those that come with a hasp and staple thing for security. It looks more like a squash-racket sort of bag when taken down, I just used a security cable to the room fittings while I was asleep and carried it with me to breakfast and no-one blinked an eyelid.

I must admit, I never thought to ask! I carried my Browning in a Napier take-down bag when I went 'darn Sarf', you know, one of those that come with a hasp and staple thing for security. It looks more like a squash-racket sort of bag when taken down, I just used a security cable to the room fittings while I was asleep and carried it with me to breakfast and no-one blinked an eyelid.

I have one of these great for traveling the other sensible option is just make sure the T&C's dont exclude them specifically and then your fine if you ask they'll panic and say no! as suggested leave the barrels in car boot out of site and locked alarmed etc keep stock and action in your bag in your room, you could go further and keep fore end on your person, I am quite relaxed about travelling with mine now the Napier protector Secure 2 slip helps, as you are required to take "reasonable precautions" not leaving the gun unattended and assembled covers that!

http://www.avalon-guns.com/avalon/info_62961.html got mine from ebay for far less than advertised but seem to be getting rare now. http://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/info_107.html

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at a Premier Inn and took a gun with them?

I am going to the shooting show at Newark next weekend. Booked a room at Ripley Premier Inn and called them about a month ago to ask if I could take my gun. They said they would check with the security team and get back to me.

Still no response yesterday so I called them back and they advised me they had spoken to the security team who weren't keen, but had contacted the local firearms licensing who had no issues, so they had been back in touch with the security team to tell them to make a decision and give me a call.

Called them again today after missing their call and they told me the security team had said no. :oops:

ATB,

Mike

Bad luck - a lot of independent hotels, particularly in sporting parts of the country have gun rooms or gun safes which is just great - although I am not sure if they or I am within the law if I hand my shotguns over to a receptionist or manager to lock away - anyone got any clues on that?

However, a number of Premier Inns are in large towns etc so that probably will not work anyway. I would agree that the best option is to break down your gun and just take the fore-end or similar part in with you and lock the rest in the boot of the car. Maybe your local firearms officer could give you [and all of us] some more advice after what you have experienced but I guess that the hotel's policy is final and they will rely on their own "security" who may have a point because you can just imagine the fuss if you take a firearm in, some muppet sees you and the next thing will be headlines about Premier Inns being full of armed gangs or other such nonsense.

It is a tricky one....

Good luck anyway

The Law is quite clear that any licencable Firearm is the resposibility of the registerd owner and must not be handed over to any third party unless they have "AUTHORITY" ie licece etc to be in posesion of such a Firearm!

You are responsible for your Firearm so dont get caught out on this, I cant see a receptinist having the right authority can you?

Good idea is as suggested, :good: disable it by removing parts then you can show " DUE DILLIGENCE " if the worst should happen :good:

Quoted from the Police safety handbook

Available here!

50. When firearms and ammunition are being carried on a journey which involves them

being kept away from their usual secure storage, the responsible person should ensure

that they are, as far as reasonably practicable, secure. Consideration when firearms are

being taken to venues involving overnight or longer accommodation might include:

• Obtaining accommodation which provides secure facilities (many country hotels

offer this service);

• Separating and retaining possession of integral parts of the firearm to prevent it

being used, or;

• Using portable security devices, such as security cords.

:lol:

Hi,

It is not illegal to be a homo sexual.

If two homo sexuals are refused accommodation on the grounds of their sexual persuasion, they can sue, and win a case against the landlord(s).

It is not illegal to own a shotgun....

Cheers

he might be and have a shot gun :lol:

Edited by linny

Bad luck - a lot of independent hotels, particularly in sporting parts of the country have gun rooms or gun safes which is just great - although I am not sure if they or I am within the law if I hand my shotguns over to a receptionist or manager to lock away - anyone got any clues on that?

Unless they are a cert holder NO it is infact stated to keep them in your room not complete as having them locked in the "hotel" safe you are open to prosecution.

http://www.durham.police.uk/info/firearms/shotguns/safety.php

Remember, when taking a shotgun to a venue which involves an overnight stay or longer, ensure the accommodation provides secure storage facilities. Leaving your shotgun in the care of a hotel or guest house patron, even in their safe, may expose them to being in unlawful possession of a shotgun, unless they are also certificate holders. Separating and retaining possession of integral part may prevent it being used or using portable security devices such as security cords.

http://www.chamberlock.com/ are cheaper than the Napier Slip (just) and actually quite cool!

Edited by HDAV

Unless they are a cert holder NO it is infact stated to keep them in your room not complete as having them locked in the "hotel" safe you are open to prosecution.

http://www.durham.police.uk/info/firearms/shotguns/safety.php

http://www.chamberlock.com/ are cheaper than the Napier Slip (just) and actually quite cool!

Thanks for this HDAV - I had a bit of a worry and you have confirmed it - back to the drawing board

My gun travels with me in an ABS gun case. It is taken to the hotel room and the case, while I'm out of the room is affixed by a wire security cable to a wet system central heating radiator, bathroom plumbing or in one case around the WC pan. I take photographs with my phone showing how the gun case is secured. My gun has a detachable trigger mechanism and that goes out the room with me.

If any nosey parker asks me what is in the gun case I tell them a musical instrument, well it makes a noise doesn't it.

If I'm not going directly from A to B and stop off somewhere I have another security cable in the boot of my cars that I fix around the gun case.

I've learned to do this from bitter past experience.

Edited by philr

Thanks for this HDAV - I had a bit of a worry and you have confirmed it - back to the drawing board

Just get a Chamberlock or Napier protector slip, bit tricker if you have a semi, lock it to the bed frame/radiator pipes/solid object and take the bolt from semi/foreend from O/U SxS and keep it on your person or keep barrels locked in car and action in your bag you can add a trigger lock as well if you like.

My gun travels with me in an ABS gun case. It is taken to the hotel room and the case, while I'm out of the room is affixed by a wire security cable to a wet system central heating radiator, bathroom plumbing or in one case around the WC pan. I take photographs with my phone showing how the gun case is secured. My gun has a detachable trigger mechanism and that goes out the room with me.

If any nosey parker asks me what is in the gun case I tell them a musical instrument, well it makes a noise doesn't it.

If I'm not going directly from A to B and stop off somewhere I have another security cable in the boot of my cars that I fix around the gun case.

I've learned to do this from bitter past experience.

I am sorry to hear about your past experience Phil, i too take a phone pic of the gun locked up (if you use an iphone with GPS enabled it proves the location of the image) I also use cable through napier slip (has a metal hook through trigger guard to lashing loop in boot)

If i have 2 guns with me one goes in napier and one in its case both cabled up. If you consider the grief of having a gun stolen, possible prosecution, lack of insurance, not to mention the loss of your gun then £70-£100 for a chamberlock or decent security device seems cheap.

Only reason i dont use a trigger lock is the Napier is in my opinion more secure and discrete (seems to be in short supply these days) hope they havent stopped them as i may want another

Edited by HDAV

I have stayed in a Premier Lodge on Bath Road/Heathrow many times when an early flight is used and many other Hotels around UK.

It has never occured to me to ask/tell them I have a rifle in my luggage or any other of my personal possessions either :blink:

My rifle is in a case, sometimes a winchester breakdown shotgun case and sometimes a Pelli 1700 case, always locked of course but unless I decide to flash it about I can't see what it has to do with anybody else.

Nobody would even know it is a rifle unless I tell them, in fact I have, on a couple of occassions, been asked what Instrument I play or was I in a Band !!!

I suppose really it depends on the type of case you use as to whether you have to own up to carrying a firearm so it really is down to the individual.

You dont have to advertise the fact you have fire arms with you, Its a shot gun it can be broken down to suit case size. You should have a hard case that can be locked.

I recently stopped in a travel lodge or premier inn, the rifle/rifles were in a locked case in the room out of sight. when the time came to leave there was a little attention from some bloke with a badge on :rolleyes: but when told it was a trombone and we were playing in a band abroad he seemed quite happy. :good:

Just glad he didnt asked for a tune :lol: