"talking" Lab

fuzrat

Hi Guys,

Now the season is over its time to tackle a few issues with my lab. Had him just over a year now but he is 5 yrs old. When he is sitting on the peg on his lead with a corkscrew he whinges/talks like hell really off putting when shooting and just downright annoying. Fellow guns have nicknamed him scooby-doo :lol: when off the lead he is quiet but unfortunately not steady enough to stay there (working on that too!)and is the shoot hoover. I end up carrying an armfull of birds around "your dog picked it you carry it" :no:

Any ideas on stopping the talking? he seems to be fine until he hears the first shot of the day then realises whats going on. Have tried giving him a smart tap on the nose with a NO command and praising him when he is quiet for the short periods he is but doesnt seem to get it. Was reading about these anti-bark spray collars and wondered if trying a spray bottle and giving him a squirt up the snozz when he whinges would help. Will be taking him out pigeon shooting in the hide over the summer and I'm hoping this will calm him down. Sitting around while I shoot wont be as exciting anymore?

Cheers Fuzrat

Is it a 'Merican import by chance? :yp: There are entire lines in the US with a genetic predisposition toward "vocalizing."

And as WGD notes,

If you find a reliable cure for a noisy dog you'll be the first, once they start it's next to impossible to stop.

You can in a sense put a band-aid over it, but squelching it for keeps ain't happening. Some trainers (for field trials) will make a dog sit with a dummy in its mouth watching the birds go down. That stops the vocalizing, per se, but not the whinging. (Whinging is somewhat overlooked at US trials.) Or you can encourage the whinging and then put the fear of G*d in the dog by getting in its face with a snarling "QUIET!!!" command, which may work temporarily or even for the long haul with vocalizing but again probably not the whinging.

MG

my GWP does it a little on peg mostly winging, the bottle of water in the face works a bit I have heard of trainers that try standing next to the dog and when it starts a sideways swipe of their boot so the dog doesn't know where it came from. Worked a bit with mine but the best one is to get her sitting steady without a lead as she then stops. Sounds like the lead is the same issue with yours you need to get it steady to shooting and not running in and you may just stop it.

Hmm thanks guys, kind of confirmed what I thought, get him steady (tough job) or get him quiet on the lead (next to impossible) :lol:

Question is, how do I get him steady without being able to give him a pop on the lead when he thinks about running in? as being on the lead is the problem :blink:

Fuzrat

Cheers WGD, way to give a guy something to look forward to :lol: :lol: hoping its a bit of exitement thats agravating it, will sit still for quarter of an hour with not a peep in the front room. He hasnt got that much experience of driven shooting or sitting in a hide for any period of time as the guy that had him before me really only used him as a walk around the fields dog.

hoping that plenty of pigeon shooting over the summer will wear some of the novelty off.

Fuzrat

Sorry mate, my motivational skills can be lacking :blush:

It's a real big problem is all I'm saying, I hope you get to a point you're happy with.

Dogs that whine on the peg drive me bonkers, oddly enough only if they're with me, other peoples don't rile me at all :huh:

Good luck mate.

Sorry mate, my motivational skills can be lacking :blush:

It's a real big problem is all I'm saying, I hope you get to a point you're happy with.

Dogs that whine on the peg drive me bonkers, oddly enough only if they're with me, other peoples don't rile me at all :huh:

Good luck mate.

Yep same as, the other guns dont worry about him, even have a laugh about it and extract the urine

Fuzrat