any one done any good

Went out today and found a freshly drilled field of spring barley there were about 30 birds on it but had a well used flight line going straight over it with pigeons heading off to some pea drilling were i dont have permission. so i set up about 100yrds down the hedge of the flight line as there was a footpath under it. pigeons came in packs of 15 and 20s all day following the flight line with the ocassional 2 or 3 braking off and coming to our deeks. we shot from 11:30 untill 5:30 and had a totall of 129 pigeons for 237 shots. but there must have been well over 700 birds visit the pea field through out the day. :lol::/:lol:

After we had set up for about 30min we saw a shape come into the deeks at a great speed and knock a bird of cradle then it flew straight into the air and cirled the deeks about 100ft above them it was a peregerine then out of now were a second one came in zig zaging through the deeks knoking some of the cradles as though it was trying to flush them into the air for its mate circling above this went on for about 10mins untill we cleared them off as they were putting off the pigeons.

I went out yesterday but ballesed up coz i ran out of my fav ammo the other day so i used some other that i had found in cupbourd any way wi mi normal(field&target trophy) ammo i diddnt miss to much but with the cupboard(elay wasps) stuff i missed 2 crows, 3 pigeons oh and a bl**** 1 yrd bunnny :*) . What a **** ammo, i'll just have to get some more of mi normal ammo at the selby game fair! ten i wont miss owt :lol:

Went out yesterday afternoon and shot 13 flighting.

Went again today on new sown oats and shot 43 and 1 crow. Every pigeon decoyed superbly due to the strong wind.

suprised how well they decoyed as the area i shot has been heavily shot. Perhaps it was due to the high pressure starting to fall, also the considerably cooler temperature seems to have taken their minds of mating.

:lol::lol::P:P

Good to hear that someone has found some birds.

Going out to morrow to look at a pea field or the LUPIN fields , hoping for a good day now that the pressure is falling .

Good on yeh yorkshire pud ,i`m of the same oppinion that when you go out for the day you have to enjoy what the day has to offer, and make the best of it.

:lol::/:lol:

Went out with my airgun last night, shot 5 rabbits in 1hr, shot a brace of pigeons out of my window this morning and just seen a pair of ring neck doves.

(elay wasps) stuff i missed 2 crows, 3 pigeons oh and a bl**** 1 yrd bunnny  . What a **** ammo

I think it is the shot not the ammo :lol: . All I use is wasps, they shoot fine headshot one last night at 30yds.

A SHARP FALL ON THE BAROMETER THESE PAST FEW DAY'S HAS REALLY BROUGHT THE BIRDS OUT IN FORCE...

Please take note, well spotted by supergame...

Over the past few weeks flights in general have been fickle. High pressure has seriously dominated. The birds have really been getting down to serious mating, marking territory, and nest building...

Most of the pigeon movement has been happening after 2.00pm, with only a little movement during the mornings...

We have been mainly shooting Rape. A few drilled fields here and there, and the odd pea field where the peas are growing away...

Good quality sport has been hard to find. We've had a few surprising day's when the hide placement of 4 guns has been spot on, resulting in all 4 assisting each other to keep the birds moving all day...

The last great day....

On the 28th April 4 Danish clients, all set up on a large Rape field each, shot 311 for 577 shots. Having said that it was the first decent (pigeon weather) day for at least 2 weeks...

The past 2 day's has seen a dramatic change in the weather. The birds knew it was on the way and they piled out of their breeding woods on Friday resulting in a great day out for all clients. Yesterday (in the cold) a Father and son team set up together, had over 200 shots on a rape field for 94, we left them out untill 7.00pm, the flight had seriously finished, but we tried hard to get them the 100. IF ONLY THEY HAD SHOT A BIT BETTER EARLIER ON!!!

Today, 20th, looks pretty much the same as yesterday. Birds out all over the place, loads of options, and spoilt for choice tomorrow...

IF ONLY IT WAS THAT EASY ALL OF THE TIME!!!!

By the way...

Well said Yorkshire pudding, a true sportsmans statement...

A BAD DAY PIGEON SHOOTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY WORKING...

All the very best...

Shoot straight....

GARY...

Done nothing for the last month...the drillings went in about 6 foot deep!, with no waste on the top. :<

That was what drillings we had, nearly everything down to winter cereals this year, with the birds ignoring the few rape fields in these parts. :< :<

Lots of birds about now though, all munching away on the tree buds! :/

Ah well, there's always the laid barley...only thing is , its all the short stem, anti-fall stuff... :< :< :<

At least there are the geese to have a go at...in October!!! :lol:

With modern farming becoming more and more efficient do you guys see a time when there will be no place for pigeons to feed and a crash in their population? Obviously the change would not be instantaneous but its a worrying thought.

However I was thinking about something the other day which may have profound implications for pigeon shooting and in fact lead to an increase in pigeon populations although not neccesarily making our lives easier because pigeons will have a lot more choice! With Iraq now theoretically being a US state, certainly with the oil which will be pumped straight out to Western nations this may be backtracked.

However oilseed rape oil if I am correct can be used to power cars, it would be completely eco-friendly fuel, of course there will be Carbon dioxide emissions but the carbon dioxide produced will be the exact amount of Carbon in the plant which had been produced in the plant before it was cut due to photosynthesis, it can't produce carbon from nowhere :lol: So it would result in no increase in CO2 in the atmosphere because all CO2 released will be captured again by the next crop of oilseed rape!!

So if this is the case then why doesn't the government pour money into research of this? Well think about the tax they put on petrol and diesel, how could they justify taxing so heavily a fuel which has no bad reprocussions for the environment?

William

You posted that in the WRONG place!!!!!!!!!!

SEND THE BIT ABOUT RAPE OIL TO YOUR MP!!!!!!!!!!!!

when it comes to pass free days shooting on all my lovely rape.....2 nights in the local hotel......with more ale (paid for) than you've supped in the last month......

all the best yis yp :ph34r:

oh aye hows the wood doing fella have you been up lately :lol:

Hi YP, I been away for 3 weeks, going to have to check on it soon!! I'm in half a mind to put a few pheasants down but without care and maintence I have hatched a new plan and thats to place a couple of hoppers in there come later summer and hopefully attract the poults from the neighbouring farmers shoot :lol: I've been down a few times and each time have heard many go up to roost I'd say about 5-6 cock pheasants definately because thats what I've counted, make a hell of a noise when they go up :/ And would imagine theres a good number of hens there too! Shame I can't do any real maintence there but perhaps in the summer holidays I'll get a chance to go down and try and clear a ride and put a bit of straw and feed them. By next season I'll have my two dogs back and so will be able to really beat through the wood and hopefully will put up a lot more pheasants than this past year :lol:

Anyone got any advice it'd be very welcome :lol:

Went out with my airgun last night, shot 5 rabbits in 1hr, shot a brace of pigeons out of my window this morning and just seen a pair of ring neck doves.

Ring Dove is the correct name for a woodpigeon.

What was it you saw?

A Collard Dove, I suspect!

On the subject of CO2. I reckon the rusting bodywork of old cars has a lot to answer for.

My dad went shooting yesterday with a friend to the same field of spring barley we shot last friday and had the 129.

They were there for 6 hours and shot till they ran out of cartridges they ended up with 142 pigeons for 379 shots and my dad thinks there is were still enough there today for another 100+ bag tomorrow.

All ready to go truck loaded guns ready in the hall just opened the door and it started raining thought we would leave it 10mins still raining, 20 mins still raining, 30 mins still raining, 2 bloody hours later still bloody raining ;) .

so sadly the field will have to wait but with the same weather forcast for the rest of the week and school starts again monday it could be a while till im out again :D. but still theres the gamefair on saturday to look forward to ???

Out on saturday on a pea/oats and barley sileage field. Farmer phoned me up today today to see what I can do. Went to have look at 4pm today there only appeared to be 30 or so on the field. Apparently yesterday they were hammering the field so we shall see. The forcast has given 25 mph winds with a few showers,so it shouldn,t be to bad.

Never shot for this farmer before so I will let the birds come well in and go for a big bag, hopefully then he will want me to keep going untill the crop is cut.

The location is perfect, the field is 20 acres and borders a big deciduous wood, so even if tomorrow isn't great I think there is massive potential. ;)

Well I've been on the pea field today, what a total flop. I went on the farmers word that they were doing serious damage. Strange then that I only saw 30 birds all afternoon, shot at 9 and got 6 plus 6 jackdaws.

The field has potential so thats why I went mainly to show willing then there wont be a problem going again when its worth it.

Hi All

Went out last Sat 26th all day, plenty of birds about but I was on wrong side of field, thanks to my mate but thats another story. Action was nil all morning but picked up about two pm. Shot 25 for 37 cartridges by 5:30. Wont bother catching the early feed next time. Field was pea's about an inch high. Had to play around with the deeks pattern and rotory Mc but got it right in the end. :D;):D

Vegitarian is an old red indian word for LOUSY HUNTER!!!! ?????? B)