thoughtless ferreting

coneyhunter

Hello all,

recently when wandering about my permission i noticed a large pile of dead rabbits, seemingly just left there, on recent trips i have noticed that the rabbit population has seemed to be diminishing rapidly.

Upon speaking to the land owner he mentioned to me that a local lad had been using the land for his ferrets, nothing wrong with that i thought, when questioning the owner about the pile of dead coneys he had no idea.

The following day i decided to go up and see if i could see the lad ferreting, i keep them myself so it was mearly out of interest. Walking down the hedge i bumped into him as he was laying purse nets, i stoked up a conversation with him.

He told me that he was respnsible for the big pile of rabbits and it was his intention to " wipe the ******s out" i explained to him that i shot on the land as well and had been there for far longer than him, i also reminded him that the rabbits needed controlling, NOT ERADICATING! he didnt understand.

I questioned him about the piles of dead rabbits everywhere, he said that he had no use for them, i told him if he didnt have a use for the rabbits then not to kill them, leave them for me to shoot as i do have a use for them.

It realyy irritated me that my shooting permission has been nearly run dry due to one twenty somethings complete misunderstanding of rabbit control. :angry:

Give him your phone no,and ask him to let you have all of the rabbits he gets..

if you can't beat him,join him ;)

very true mate, the majority of them i took for my ferrets, to be honest i dont think we'll be seeing him for a while, apparatnyl he has been doing this a lot in the local area and the land owners are getting quite irritated with piles of stinking dead rabbits everywhere :hmm:

very true mate, the majority of them i took for my ferrets, to be honest i dont think we'll be seeing him for a while, apparatnyl he has been doing this a lot in the local area and the land owners are getting quite irritated with piles of stinking dead rabbits everywhere :hmm:

It's not a matter of sharing them with him. It's about conserving your sport and managing the rabbit population. If everyone did what he does, we would have no sport. If it was happening on my permission i'd have to deter him from his recklesss action, and make sure everybody I know with local permissions was aware of his activities , and recommend they deter him as well !!!

It's not a matter of sharing them with him. It's about conserving your sport and managing the rabbit population. If everyone did what he does, we would have no sport. If it was happening on my permission i'd have to deter him from his recklesss action, and make sure everybody I know with local permissions was aware of his activities , and recommend they deter him as well !!!

very good and valid point, this has been actioned

It's not a matter of sharing them with him. It's about conserving your sport and managing the rabbit population. If everyone did what he does, we would have no sport.

The waste I condemn wholeheartedly, but as for "sport" and "managing the population" :no: Farmers want rabbits gone, end of.

The waste I condemn wholeheartedly, but as for "sport" and "managing the population" :no: Farmers want rabbits gone, end of.

This i can understand and appreciate and i agree with you about the waste issue, this is what got me the most, if i kill something its used, end of, otherwise its a waste and opens our past time / pest cntrol activities up to more criticism!

I agree entirely.

I would think the Farmer is delirious that this bloke has a mission to eradicate all the rabbits on his land.

If you want to get rid of him, recommend him to another Farmer and don't forget to mention his mission, :yes:

the farms i shoot want the rabbits gone if i said i was saving some sport another day they would probably tell me to go elsewhere as for leaving them laying about that is wrong

colin

With the Rabbits, I have a mix in my permissions; some zero-tolerance and some who just want the numbers 'kept sensible'.

I have to go along with their wishes of course, but where more leniency is allowed, I tend to go for the Bucks rather than pregnant Does. My choice I guess, and my pint glass keeps magically refilling :D

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by The Duncan