Pigeon Shooter Apprehended by Police

ollie

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013

i had the whirly bird visit me for a good 40minutes, while out on the marshes.

all that time they just were hovering, obviously looking at what we were doing.

they got a video of me drinking soup and eating a flapjack. i would love to see that on a thermal camera.

after 10 minutes you`d think that they`d leave? its what 5k per minute to keep them in the air?

that was with the basc day scheme too, private land.

Edited by cookoff013

could not hear it vol to low........... what makes you think they would do it to you? police dont react unless there is a threat real or possible when they do they will have to respond as trained and sort out weather its legit or not after cant blame them for that can you????

if they pulled be 3 times i would have something to say about it but it can happen once to all of us i would think

i had the whirly bird visit me for a good 40minutes, while out on the marshes.

all that time they just were hovering, obviously looking at what we were doing.

they got a video of me drinking soup and eating a flapjack. i would love to see that on a thermal camera.

after 10 minutes you`d think that they`d leave? its what 5k per minute to keep them in the air?

that was with the basc day scheme too, private land.

The quote I was given was roughly £30/Minute, crazy really and I'd safely bet it costs more - especially when you factor in the cost of the damn thing! :oops:

Not quite the same I know, but few years ago I had just arrived at our shooting location. Two of us got out of my 4x4, then put our cammo gear on, and an American Army or Air force helicopter gunship came over to us, and hovered just to one side of us ,watching us. That was a bit unnerving. We hadn't at that point got the guns out. We thought it better to get the decoys out first and wave at the guy sat on the edge in the helicopter, that was manning a ,what looked like a rather large automatic weapon. We put all the decoys on the floor in full view. The guy waved back to us and they moved off.

They were probably just being nosey, but !!!! :oops:

well i have had it happen twice now and it is not nice feeling to have a loaded gun pointed at you .

just to add, we were out lamping tuesday night ,and got pulled by the police , right this is the best bit .... at first they never checked to see if we had our FAC with us , they never checked the rifle out , they never checked to see if we were on permission ...

now this made me laugh and it really got my back up and had to let them know ..

they looked in the back off the pickup and there was a spade with mud on and a box were my friend puts his lab , when travling in the truck and a dead fox we had shot..

one officer said right whats the spade doing in the back with mud on , to which my friend replied its a farm truck officer and the spade is used on the farm for clearing mud off the farm machinery and clear mud from the road when tractors leave the field ..

o he said thats a new one i must remember that one ...are you sure you have not been badger digging ... we have been following you for 20 min shining your torches across the fields looking for them , at that point i had to speak out very loud and point out his mistakes he has made when stopping us , ie not checking our rifels out , not checking to see if we had a FAC or even if we had it with us ...who's land we were on,,, if we had permission to be on the land also explaining how lamping for foxes works and why we have to do it which they both had no idea about ....

he suddenly became the most helpfull officer i have ever come across.... after all had calmed down , and we were singing from the same him sheet , i asked him were did the question have we been badger digging come from , his reply was well it does go on ....

well i just laughed at him and said perhaps you really should learn more about gun law and the country side and what goes on in it before jumping into nothing you really know nothing about .....

Edited by washwildfowler

Couldn't be or you would be a 'freindly fire' incident. :oops:

it moved SHOOT IT! :oops::oops:

me and a freind where snipe shooting on the boggles near sellerfield nuclear plant and got the full armed exsperience! about 10 coppers with guns and a few dog men came over the bog trying to be all stelthy and tactial all the while falling over and getting stuck in the mud :lol: then told us to put the guns down to whitch i said " i will make it safe first" well they realy had a fit! so i put the gun down my semi outo and mate had a sbs we got down in our nee`s one copper walked over picked ut our guns then shouted to the rest how do i unload them then clicked the safety off the sbs :oops: i was trying to tell him how to do it and was told to " shut the **** up"

it was the most heavy handed bunch of cowboys i have ever seen, how they find the **** for a **** i will never know. i told them soo to after it had all calmed down..

You would think that but many years ago I had a permission next to an RAF base in Norfolk. On one Saturday morning, I decided to setup on a field that I had always avoided previously because it was so close to the camp. Just after I had set up the hide and placed out the decoys, I noticed 2 policmen walking from the fence from the corner of the camp and they called out to me on a loudhaller to stand still and put down my weapon etc. After they reached me they pointed to the camp and I saw 30 armed personnel lay down in a defensive posture with their weapon systems pointed at me. The camp contained serious weaponry at the time so they were twitchy and were quick to appologise after they realised what was going on. It did spoil the day though because they had some of the cameras pointed at me the whole time so I packed up early. It transpired that one of the sentries saw what he thought was a terrorist digging himself in ready for a fire fight (muppet). :lol:

Marham by any chance ? :yp:

• 1 year later...

I was out on one of my permissions lamping with a sub 12lb airgun one summer evening when a plain hatchback car noticed my beam shining across the field and reversed back to a stop. I turned the lamp down as I was stalking a bunny and didnt want to spook it. Next news a young pc shouted across asking if anyone is there. I kept quiet as I was 100yds away at least and couldn't tell it was the police. After 2-3 mins I worked my way over and explained I was lamping with sub 12 gear on private land owned by my family. The police officer made me hold my rifle above my head and shone a torch in my eyes. He then made me place down my rifle and lie face down with my hands on my head!

I took 20 minutes of explaining to get the young lad to understand I wasn't breaking any laws.

I now ring through before I go to shoot!

I have also had a helicopter hover over me for 5 minutes whilst using night vision. I suspect they could see my ir laser from miles away.

Have the dvd for this one,have been arressted,at court twice,postponed until may because the crown did not have case together (Aug to Dec) and if Fiscal sees fit he will send me for trial. Charge reckless discharge of shotgun,shotfallout on house and buildings. Nine plods plus one firearms plod in field. SACS lawyer on case. no shooting since August. Its really a longer story but dont have the time etc.

i once got stopped at night lamping,the bobby said to me ,is that a real gun that shoots real live rounds,i said yes, so he said can i take a picture of it so i can show the lads at the station what i caught tonight, but saying that at first he made me put it in the back of his car till he checked me out,then when every thing was ok we had some banter. so it was,nt that bad at the end...

Back in the days when pistols were legal, me and my wife were driving back from our indoor pistol club, driving through an commercial estate to our house when we got stopped by 2 policemen. They asked where we had been/ going so I said "shooting" oh he said to his mate "the sarge has put these 2 up to it" so I point to the back seat where a .375 and a .38 revolver are in their slips and although it was dark I'm sure he went a funny colour :lol: Showed him our FACs and then he said there had been a few break ins on the estate and our car was suitable for carrying goods (estate) He said if we get stopped again at the end of the road just tell them we had been already.

Does anyone take the numbers of the officers and follow up these incidents with a letter to the chief constable or the pcc asking for an explanation of the manner of the officers and also questioning their training?

Whats the point? they are only doing their job. They get a report and they have to act on it, there are procedures and protocols that have to be followed. They can't really afford not to once the call is logged. The real idiot is often the person who blows the call in to the police in the first place without using their common sense. Or who does it maliciously.

I have been stopped twice over the years, once by the RAF Coppers and once by civvy plod.

The first occaision was a young RAF Copper who said he was responding to a concerned call from a member of the public who had apparently seen me walking across a drilled field with a shotgun near the back of RAF Cottesmore. I went over to him in the field and he had already run a check on my car regestration number. I told him who I was, a serving JNCO at the time and he was OK about it. Then I asked him if he really thought it was a good idea to challenge a possible terrorist with his 9mm pistol on his hip.

Second occaision was also near to RAF Cottesmore, two of us were rough shooting in an extended lunch hour and noticed plod walking across the field about 300 Yds away. We unloaded and walked over to him and I aked him what the problem was. he said that he was just checking up on us, so I asked if he knew who's land we were on. He didn't, so we asked if it might be a good idea if he established who's land it was and whether we had pernission to be there shooting. He seemed puzzled by this and walked away to his car. I guess he was just another bored copper who thought he could just stick his nose in where it wasn't needed!