Pigeon Shooter Apprehended by Police

ollie

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a couple of police officers and it wouldn't suprise me if they use this sort of thing(all listed above) as real time training exercises,they love the action and messing with people,that's why they are police.......POWER

:good: :good: :good: :good: :good: i have been told the same

why interrupt someone undertaking a lawful hobby?

I'd expect the Police to check that if someone is out with a gun is indeed being lawful, they do their job, you give them the info they need and carry on pigeon shooting.

For that matter, we employ the Police to investigate any situation where the law might be being broken...I don't see the problem.

We hear on this forum about poachers, people shooting without permission and so on, in fact the Police had words with someone on my farm shooting without permission recently.

Its not ignorable, if someone makes a call about someone with a gun what are police supposed to do?

You really are a devils advocate.

Police are pathetic. They do all that to you guys when your doing perfectly legal actives.

have any of you seen fieldsports brittan when I think it was andy crow having pheasents poached out of the trees with a .22 rifle not an air rifle and then gets shot at. It took ages for them to get there and by the time they did they had got away and the best part is there was no helicopters, armed response just 2 unarmed officers!!!!

I was with kdubya when we had the chopper and ARS.... But a few weeks ago while shooting rabbits with scaffman we had just pulled of the farm track on to the field and i spotted a rabbit with the NV,

i was driving so i shot it and scaffy jumped out of the motor with his torch and started to walk across the grass field to pick it up.

I was scanning the field with the NV sat on top of the motor watching the (screen on the dash board ) when scaffy got back he said there are lights in the gate way near the cattle grid,

they were on the road just had not pulled on to the farm land . I got out and walked over to ask them who they were and was there a problem, no problem they said as they got out plain clothed PC and Police woman

they had seen scaffy's light as he walked across the field to get the rabbit and just stopped in case we were nicking scrap metal from the farm. They were very polite when we said what we were doing. We showed them our FAC's

and they asked did we mind if they called to get them checked out , no problem from us all sorted in a few minutes then we spent the next 1/2 hour just having a craic with them..they were very interested in my NV set up on the motor.

That to me is the way they should act, not treating you as criminals but as someone who has the right to be doing what we were doing,,

If you went into your local Cop-Shop and asked all of them to raise their hand if they want to go and arrest a tax fraud, then ask which of them would like to go and apprehend a "terrorist with a sniper rifle". You'd probably find your answer to why these occurances are so common.

I'm all for security, but where on Earth were they when Derrick Bird was on his rampage? huh.gif

Too busy writing up their risk assessments.

I used to live on a farm and often the Police holicopter used to use me as practise for tracking. I know this as I once complained to the local Inspector and got a lovely letter back. The fact is some of us have the legal right to shoot on the land we shoot on but there is a growing number who do not. I am not talking about a little poaching but organised gangs clearing large areas of stock birds and in some cases herds of sheep. Twice I have caught people shooting on my permissions; one tried to bluff his way out and the other appologised and left. Both where reported to the police but no action taken. If we do not tell the police what we are doing and a member of the public complains the the police have a duty to protect and challenge and based on how some drug fuelled idiots behave I do not blame the police for being cautious.

I put it down to an occupational hazard......

A few things. Firstly yes its a training video.

Another thing is maybe if people used the system that I'm fairly sure exists in all forces and phoned there control room they ask you for your name, reg, permission area, what your shooting and a contact number for you. Then if some mong sees a bloke in a field with a shotgun and phones the police you will get a phone call asking if your there. Saves the fuss. So if you don't like people pointing guns at you ring the police before you go out and stop whingeing.

Also for everyone saying why all the fuss look at the over side of the coin. Could you imagine what the media would say if a single bobby was sent out to have a word with your suspect. They would be calling the police negligent for weeks.

On the subject of Air support units I know personally they catch many poachers and all sorts of other criminals. Also to the guys in the field next to the airport firstly hope you enjoyed ypur own personal air show. Secondly it may have been as simple as they had a new bloke on board and two well camoflauged blokes are pretty much perfect training for FLIR operation.

The overiding comment here being if you help them they will help you. So phone before you go. AND MAN UP!

Another thing is maybe if people used the system that I'm fairly sure exists in all forces and phoned there control room they ask you for your name, reg, permission area, what your shooting and a contact number for you. Then if some mong sees a bloke in a field with a shotgun and phones the police you will get a phone call asking if your there. Saves the fuss. So if you don't like people pointing guns at you ring the police before you go out and stop whingeing.

Also for everyone saying why all the fuss look at the over side of the coin. Could you imagine what the media would say if a single bobby was sent out to have a word with your suspect. They would be calling the police negligent for weeks.

On the subject of Air support units I know personally they catch many poachers and all sorts of other criminals. Also to the guys in the field next to the airport firstly hope you enjoyed ypur own personal air show. Secondly it may have been as simple as they had a new bloke on board and two well camoflauged blokes are pretty much perfect training for FLIR operation.

The overiding comment here being if you help them they will help you. So phone before you go. AND MAN UP!

Its been said by so many others before, and usually I agree; we're partaking in a legal activity so why do we need to inform the police? Its like saying inform the police every time you go out and use your car, or go to the pub. Why not take it to Orwell levels and submit a weekly plan of your movements and activities to the Police? If people are voluntarily calling the police to try to avoid them coming out in force (and many on here will testify to calling and being visited anyway) how long will it be until its a condition on our SGC's and FAC's? And then how long will it be until it moves from informing the police to calling to ask for their permission?

No its not a law but people are so busy talking about their civil rights they cant climb out the own *** and just say what there doing then they are a whole less likely to get visited by a group of blokes with G36s. All I'm saying is some people are bringing it on themselves and doing the easy thing in this country and blaming the Police.

No its not a law but people are so busy talking about their civil rights they cant climb out the own *** and just say what there doing then they are a whole less likely to get visited by a group of blokes with G36s. All I'm saying is some people are bringing it on themselves and doing the easy thing in this country and blaming the Police.

I must agree with you to a degree that some do bring it upon themselves by acting without applying common sense or acting in an irresponsible manner, and I must also agree that some do take the easy way out (blaming the police) rather than facing the issues that they are themselves the cause of.

I must, however, hold my ground on informing the police on when and where we go shooting. We already inform them what guns we own, how many we own and where they are stored as well as having ammunition restrictions* and restrictions on the locations we can use them* (*for FAC rated guns), I would rather not start having to tell them exactly when and where I wish to take my shotgun and shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

In the late 70s I had permission to shoot on a belt of land between Belfast and Lisburn. Nothing much on it save an occasional snipe or crow but it was heaven to me. It was in view of the main Belfast Lisburn road. Occasionally a helicopter from Thiepval Barracks would show an interest. The drill was always the same. On seeing the helicopter approach I broke the shotgun and held it up to show the crew what it was. The helicopter would then disappear. Common sense applied by both parties and even despite the unusual circumstances prevailing at the time there was no unnecessary interference with a young lad pursuing his hobby. For any Belfast people reading, the bit of land is now McKinstry Road. McKinstry was the farmer who gave us permission.

I dont quite agree with you on this mate if im lamping i could be just up the road from my house or 30miles away i only notify the police if the land owner wants me to.

When im pigeon shooting if im out in the sticks some where i dont notify but near houses built up areas i notify them.

I have made a compaint when id notifyed them they still sent out three different coppers all said they had not been told also blacked out BMW 4 x 4 which the uniform copper told me was a off duty officer.

Which i no was an AVR i told one copper off for walking all over the crop i no there only doing there jobs but sometime the word keystone comes to mind

alb Lee

It was in the 70s my shooting partner and me having a good day over rape stubble. When I noticed a chap in a long mac checking my mates car at the bottom of the field.

After a while he went away, then about 15 minutes later looking along the hedge two bobbies were looking over my van. ******** hell I suppose I had better have a chat with them

Approaching the asked what was up .is this your van ? yes I said. Are those you binoculars on the passenger seat? . Yes i replied . Can I have a look i the back? On opening the back of my van he wanted to know what was in the black bag .

I showed him the extra cammo net inside.

He then went on to explain that across the fields a house had been burgled and someone was seen running away with a black plastic bag.

Well they thought I might have been the accomplice looking through my binoculars waiting for him . WRONG!! satisfied they went on there way .

We carried on shooting ,and all afternoon POLICE CARS stopped and gave my van the once over.

One message to central control to say my van had been cleared would have save a lot of police wasting there time.

Apart from that had a very good days shoot.

• 4 weeks later...

Almost had a meeting with essex's finest a few years back i was having a quick walk round my club lake a lot of cars had been getting broke into in the car pack as the lake was in a park so took my cased air rifle with me no pellets on me as thought this was the safest thing to do to prevent theft of a gun. Met an old chap out with his dog bid him good morning & noticed him looking at the case told him i was on the fishing club comittee & that the cars had been broken in to in the car park most days so had the gunbag with me to stop it getting nicked.Bid the old gent good bye & left about ten minutes later chopper over head as i was parking car on my drive as only live down road from lake ARV whizz's past with copper having a good bog at me. Any way bit later i go back over lake & see one of the other commitee members who ask's if i've been over this morning as some old guy had seen someone with a gunbag & then found two dead coots & put two & two together & got seven & called plod my mate was in car park when ten police cars three off which was ARV'S came screeming in asked what was going on & was this all off thurrock cars to be told we've had a report of someone with a gun & that it was every car they had on road in essex at time it was still early morning. Think it was best i was not still there, about two weeks later some scroats with airguns taking pot shots at an old girl on a bike police called two hours later one copper turns up. Says it all. Must admit looking back may have been a bit daft on my part to have gunbag over shoulder but thought it better then leaving in the car but a lot older & bit wiser now.

ATB Paul.