ferrets

bushy

Hi what are the dos and dont`s on looking after ferrets!!!!

plenty of water,a good solid huch that is water and wind proof as they dont do well in drafts,being cleaned out regular,some were to burrow in to and keep warm i use old towls or clothing that sort of thing,a good diet NOT ''slops''witch is bread and milk mixed up use a complete ferret buiscuit (NOT dog food) or as i do offal harts kidneys etc..and make sure you get them out for a run so they can strecth there legs i let mine run round the garden for half an hour or you could bye a rabbit run or similer hope this helps mate :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi what are the dos and dont`s on looking after ferrets!!!!

If you really are a complete novice read a couple of books first. 'Ferrets and Ferreting' by Ian Rickard and 'Complete Guild to Ferrets' by James Mackay are both good and cheap to buy on Amazon. Its pretty straight forward really. Other members advice on feeding and exercise is sound but if you've got the space build a court. They'll be fiestier, happier, they'll live longer and be better workers. Stick to Jills til you've fine tuned their accomodation so it suits you and them, don't think about breeding for at least your first year and if you feed wild rabbit offal check it first for worms, flukes and disease. Ferrets are very good at hiding sickness until its too late.

Do some reading, if you'te still interested get cracking on building some accomodation and you should be ready to take some youngsters by mid summer.

Don't try to keep them in a cheap flimsy rabbit cage. They are great at escaping. Keep the cage out of the sun in summer as they do not tolerate heat.

I always got my gills spayed, or kept them with a vasectomised male. Get 2 ferrets as they like company. Make sure you buy your ferrets from someone who has handled them well - be careful not to get landed with unhandled an ferret that bites. Oh and enjoy them - ferrets are fun, both as pets and working animals.

• 2 weeks later...

get them while there young and get them handled and used to you as early as possible, my two came too me at 6 months old and had never been handled so they are real biters but im not going to hold that against them as its not there fault but the previous owners.

i had a accidental mateing last year long story lent my ferrets to a guy who i told to keep seperated but no it happend .anyway she had 11 all lived she was brill allowed me to check them daily no problems 8 weeks i seperated them from mum handled them every single day had a bit of a game with them. then when the new owners came to colect them what a nightmare i showed them how tame they were and handed them over BANG they would hang onto any finger they could get a hold of guess it must of been a scent thing its the only thing i can think off was funny thou :lol::lol::lol:

Hi mate, got my first pair of jills last summer, did abit of asking around (have a look on the "other sales" section on here) and got myself a couple of runs second hand which I adapted into a 3 tier court.

Made a bedding box which is filled with dust extracted shavings and an old towel if its cold, you can really feel the warmth when you put your hand in if its sealed right.

I started feeding fresh food when they came to me (tesco value beef mince and chicken thighs are a bargain) and then weaned onto dry food in september, I use chudleighs ferret food and a large bag lasts ages!

Get a couple of medium size water bottles and beware of them freezing in the winter.

Handle them absolutely loads, and don't be put off by the odd nip, I had one darling that just wanted to sit on your head and one that ripped your hand to shreds every chance she got. Persevere and you will be fine, my "biter" likes nothing better than to wrap round your neck and go to sleep, especially when I have a hoodie on!

They really do make great pets AND workers, if you want to work them of course, I do and it lets me supplement thier diet with fresh bunny as well as providing some rabbit stew for me :good: do not be tempted to work them without a collar and locator though, I think a few people on here would advise the same.

All in all, have fun and goo luck, your in the right place if you need anymore advice!

ATB

Deano