First fox with the hmr

reegy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you can only get experience from time and many people on here knows what each of there rifles can do . its just advice/experience we are trying to put accross to fellow members which are new to fox control . i have lost count on the foxes i have shot when using 22.250 ranges from 50yrd to 200+ and i have never had a runner yet .if people take offence then sorry ,but we all must take into account a clean kill MUST be optain on every pull of the trigger .after all that is what we are employeed to do or take up as a hobbie either way we all know the difference between what is right and wrong when coming to shot placement when range is a factor. yep boar are quick as hell but with a 308 they are not that quick. :D

I have had 2 or 3 runners but why I don't know

1 when I found him about 75 yards away had the side of its skull missing

and the other had its front leg blown of and still ran that was the 243

most of the time use night vis so they don't even no they have been hit just drop

been told now that cant have fox on my ticket any more on 22 or 17 I did have at one point but not sure what happened after a variation came back with out

what my point was to the FEO and other your out bunny bashing with Hummer

you don't always carry my 204 with me just for the odd fox

so why if a fox turns up with in reasonable range why can't you shoot it you know it will be dead

I have had 2 or 3 runners but why I don't know

1 when I found him about 75 yards away had the side of its skull missing

and the other had its front leg blown of and still ran that was the 243

most of the time use night vis so they don't even no they have been hit just drop

been told now that cant have fox on my ticket any more on 22 or 17 I did have at one point but not sure what happened after a variation came back with out

what my point was to the FEO and other your out bunny bashing with Hummer

you don't always carry my 204 with me just for the odd fox

so why if a fox turns up with in reasonable range why can't you shoot it you know it will be dead

if your license allows you to shot foxes with the calibre then fine go a head but is it really worth losing your license over ? remembering this is a open forum ,

Edited by blindeye

if your license allows you to shot foxes with the calibre then fine go a head but is it really worth losing your license over ? remembering this is a open forum ,

thats why I use the 204 or bigger now but then again with the wording on that had vermin and fox

now just fox

hope to be getting the wording sorted out on it

so can have think its any legal quarry on it or something like that

but to me if some forces have the right to have fox why not all thats my point

like you said not worth losing your license over a fox

I have looked and I cant find in the law were fox is not classed as vermin so can they be shot as vermin or not thats the question :hmm:

same as deer

when on land causing damage to crops and property they are classed as a pest or vermin and can be shot as so

I wouldn't like to take the chance with this as well as far I no you need Deer on your ticket to shoot them

there is a lot of talk but nothing in black and white with this

Edited by Verminator 66

when i had hmr in my eyes it is a rabbit gun 1st most. i had prob shot 15 to 20 foxes with it all under 100 yards once i had fox on my ticket for it. most around the 50 to 70 yard mark.

all dropped and dead with one shot but i did keep the range down. i out of those foxes only one was shot in the body. i know people say head shots are risky but i think body shots on foxes with hmr are risky ? you only have to hit the shoulder of it and its not going to hit him in the vital area.

people say head shots are risky in case you hit the jaw ? but if you can hit rabbits in the head at 100 yards a fox headshot! at 50 to 70 yards should be a problem. all shot sideways on between the ear and eye soon drops them.

i think the big trouble with using the hmr on fox is down to two reasons. ONE people push the range to far on them this is where injury happens and the chance of a clean kill isn't as consistent.

AND TWO the firearms departments around the country are to blame. they dont want to give people cf on 1st grant which i can kind of see in a way if they have never been out around rifles etc.

but at the same time they think well lets give him fox on hmr that will keep him happy. and saves us having to give him cf just yet ? which is kind of wrong really. the fox as we all know should be killed cleanly. and if people are using this caliber at those sort of silly ranges foxes will get injured sooner or later and its not good for us as shooters.

i have heard some people in gunshops on about fox shooting. and what i hear some of them talking about shouldn't be shooting.... things like well if the fox gets injured

he will die sooner or later so im not worried .....

i think the min caliber for foxing should be 17 cf on 1st grant. and people that have had there tickets for a bit and know the score. who have got hmr for fox on there ticket are fine because they know not to push the ranges of this little caliber.

when i 1st had my ticket 22lr and hmr was on there for vermin only. then i went for 22/250 cf got that for vermin and fox and when the ticket come back hmr was on there for vermin and fox to ??? i did ask my flo why it wasn't on there at the start but is now ?? and he said well you have had time to use hmr now.you now know what this caliber can do. and im sure you will use it to humane distances. and for longer distance s your 22/250

Edited by jamie g

when i had hmr in my eyes it is a rabbit gun 1st most. i had prob shot 15 to 20 foxes with it all under 100 yards once i had fox on my ticket for it. most around the 50 to 70 yard mark.

all dropped and dead with one shot but i did keep the range down. i out of those foxes only one was shot in the body. i know people say head shots are risky but i think body shots on foxes with hmr are risky ? you only have to hit the shoulder of it and its not going to hit him in the vital area.

people say head shots are risky in case you hit the jaw ? but if you can hit rabbits in the head at 100 yards a fox headshot! at 50 to 70 yards should be a problem. all shot sideways on between the ear and eye soon drops them.

i think the big trouble with using the hmr on fox is down to two reasons. ONE people push the range to far on them this is where injury happens and the chance of a clean kill isn't as consistent.

AND TWO the firearms departments around the country are to blame. they dont want to give people cf on 1st grant which i can kind of see in a way if they have never been out around rifles etc.

but at the same time they think well lets give him fox on hmr that will keep him happy. and saves us having to give him cf just yet ? which is kind of wrong really. the fox as we all know should be killed cleanly. and if people are using this caliber at those sort of silly ranges foxes will get injured sooner or later and its not good for us as shooters.

i have heard some people in gunshops on about fox shooting. and what i hear some of them talking about shouldn't be shooting.... things like well if the fox gets injured

he will die sooner or later so im not worried .....

i think the min caliber for foxing should be 17 cf on 1st grant. and people that have had there tickets for a bit and know the score. who have got hmr for fox on there ticket are fine because they know not to push the ranges of this little caliber.

when i 1st had my ticket 22lr and hmr was on there for vermin only. then i went for 22/250 cf got that for vermin and fox and when the ticket come back hmr was on there for vermin and fox to ??? i did ask my flo why it wasn't on there at the start but is now ?? and he said well you have had time to use hmr now.you now know what this caliber can do. and im sure you will use it to humane distances. and for longer distance s your 22/250

this is what I think is right

and if you use your head and keep to close range can't see the harm

I have to admit I have had a fox run at 100m with the 17 and the shot was in the boiler room. I wont use it now on a fox more tham 70m. If I am going out foxing now I take the 308, they dont get up with 160gr.

If I am out with the 17 after rabbits and see a fox and I cant call it in close enough, then they get to live another day.

Did drop those foxes I said about so I checked the bullet placement - the original ones were pretty much where they should be - certainly within the normal kill zone.

Could whoever deleted my post last night please PM me as to why, btw? Many thanks.

Ah, that'd be the one about shooting BNP members mate, the Zapp seemed to be active then, so it'll be him/her/stig.

I just looked again at my License

and the dull part is

1 of my 17's has fox on it :good: and the other just vermin :hmm: in 2 different conditions

now thats done me, will wait for the new one with the new conditions and see then what i can shoot

• 2 weeks later...