First fox with the hmr

reegy

160 yard shot with a hmr to the head is plain crazy

a inch out and you could have blinded the fox or hit it in the jaw...

i have a hmr and use it on crows and magpies...if im out foxing its a 22/250.

im not saying a hmr wont do the job on a fox but show it some respect and shoot it at a decent range say less than 80 yards...

how would you feel if it ran of with its jaw hanging off!!!

Plain crazy??like i said it was around 160 yards i had no range finder to be exact,i aimed just behind its ear neck area as it was facing side on so was a clean kill why do peopl have to slate most things on this forum :no:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of people here dont seem to like the idea of the .17 hummer being used at such

ranges with only only 17 to 20 grains of lead and polimer tip to do the job.

I think, on a still night 'or day' with little in the way of wind it's a safe shot.

With good conditions the hummer will shoot three inch groups at 200 yards.

160 yards is no bother if you have the right conditions, the skill and the right ticket!

Anyone that thinks the .17 HMR isnt accurate at these ranges with enough kinetic energy

should check out a balistics program and this video 300 yard HMR

A lot of people here dont seem to like the idea of the .17 hummer being used at such

ranges with only only 17 to 20 grains of lead and polimer tip to do the job.

I think, on a still night 'or day' with little in the way of wind it's a safe shot.

With good conditions the hummer will shoot three inch groups at 200 yards.

160 yards is no bother if you have the right conditions, the skill and the right ticket!

Anyone that thinks the .17 HMR isnt accurate at these ranges with enough kinetic energy

should check out a balistics program and this video 300 yard HMR

if you take shots at that range on foxes quite simply you don't deserve to have a ticket :good:

a 3" group is not sufficient for shooting foxes in the head at range, you will maim more than you kill. The HMR works on foxes fine but power restricts you after 80 yards or so and you have no room for error as you do with a centrefire.

A lot of people keep going on about the HMR being affected by the wind. I have not experienced it at all. I was out in the last high winds we had (60 mph) and hitting rabbits head shot. I had four in total. They were off the bipod because it was impossible to stand and shoot! I have experienced that it stands up well in the wind.

The wind has a profound effect after 100yds ish, up till then it's not too bad, normally needing less than 2-3" if you wait for a lull before firing.

if you take shots at that range on foxes quite simply you don't deserve to have a ticket :good:

a 3" group is not sufficient for shooting foxes in the head at range, you will maim more than you kill. The HMR works on foxes fine but power restricts you after 80 yards or so and you have no room for error as you do with a centrefire.

I didnt say anything about shooting foxes in the head at 200 yards.

What I said was, that the HMR was capable of shooting 3" groups at 200 yards.

Personaly, I feel that a boiler room shot at 200 yards with the hummer is acceptable.

And likewise, the shot taken to the head was acceptable at that range stated.

The fox is dead, no more evidence needed really.

We can all wax lyrical about range, kinetic energy, velocity and grains needed to

put an animal down at whatever range but the key point is that, it's easy

to mess up a shot with a high caliber centerfire like a .338 at 100 yards whilst

shooting at a fox, 'IF' you are not skilled enough to take the shot in the first place!

The man responsible for this post and the shooting of the before mentioned fox 'IS'

obviously skilled enough with a .17HMR to take a shot at the range it was taken.

P.S. Good shooting :good:

Personaly, I feel that a boiler room shot at 200 yards with the hummer is acceptable.

We can all wax lyrical about range, kinetic energy, velocity and grains needed to

to mess up a shot with a high caliber centerfire like a .338 at 100 yards whilst

shooting at a fox, 'IF' you are not skilled enough to take the shot in the first place!

The man responsible for this post and the shooting of the before mentioned fox 'IS'

obviously skilled enough with a .17HMR to take a shot at the range it was taken.

Thanks shooting out of buggy makes alot more easy as i rest on the top of windscreen i have no movement at all just put the cross on target and pull trigger its just at the right hight,anyone local can come out and try one night if they wish

sorry but you haven't got the foggiest idea if you think you will stop any proportion of foxes shooting them in the boiler room at 200 yards. Gut shoot one with a centrefire at 100 yards it won't go far and will die in 5 minutes max. Do the same with the hummer it will be days, no one sets out to injure animals and it has nothing to do with skill you cannot guarantee a fox won't turn its head at the last moment or move slightly, hence boiler room shots and the Hummer hasn't got the energy to be sure on them much over 100 yards that is fact not fiction. When you've shot a few with different guns you may understand. At the moment you are advocating something that isn't ethical in the slightest

I have to say I didn't see your post but I would have had words if it was someone invited onto my permission that did it. Simply leaving wounded foxes about will gain you no favours from the Farmer, walkers and the RSPCA if called ok in this case he killed it, in most cases you won't. 200 yard shots have approx 6" of drop and any wind can move it a long way its just not on as the caliber doesn't have the power at that range

sorry but you haven't got the foggiest idea if you think you will stop any proportion of foxes shooting them in the boiler room at 200 yards. Gut shoot one with a centrefire at 100 yards it won't go far and will die in 5 minutes max. Do the same with the hummer it will be days, no one sets out to injure animals and it has nothing to do with skill you cannot guarantee a fox won't turn its head at the last moment or move slightly, hence boiler room shots and the Hummer hasn't got the energy to be sure on them much over 100 yards that is fact not fiction. When you've shot a few with different guns you may understand. At the moment you are advocating something that isn't ethical in the slightest

Well my fox was well over 100 yards and killed it stone dead FACT mate just give it a rest cant see what your problem is???

lot of debate on the fox and HMR

seem's that they wont let us use 22lr or 17HMR

do you lads have fox on your ticket for HMR

Trying to find why the home office wont let you have this

Hi yes i have them on my ticket my local firearms officer is very good and understands shooting etcas he is a shooter to

Hi yes i have them on my ticket my local firearms officer is very good and understands shooting etcas he is a shooter to

this is what I cant understand

if its not in the law how can they stop you having it put on

I will be looking in to this further as I did at one point have it on mine

but after a variation came back with all different wordings on them

and on my C/F

Well my fox was well over 100 yards and killed it stone dead FACT mate just give it a rest cant see what your problem is???

You sort of got dragged into the throng of it all, it worked once and the other character who is advocating shooting them at 200 yards in the boiler room has shot 5 in 3 years. Having a tad more experience than that its not something that we as shooters should be doing. Using under powered rifles at that range will result in far more injured foxes than should happen and people reading on here about the HMR's use shouldn't see it as being a 200 yard fox gun as it isn't. 100 yards it works well, get lucky and you can go further but the word is lucky.

.17 HMR, 17 grain V-Max = MV 2550 fps, 2380 fps at 50 yards, 1900 fps at 100 yards, 1620 fps at 150 yards, 1378 fps at 200 yards.

.17 HMR, 17 grain V-Max = ME 245 ft. lbs., 185 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 136 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.

At 200 yards the .17 HMR has 72 ftlbs of energy and is still traveling at 1378 which is more than enough to put down

a fox at 200 yards.

As for the ammount of foxes I've shot in the past three years, I'm an opertunist hunter, I dont go looking for foxes

but if they happen to roam my way I'll dispatch them.

As for the caliber debate, I shoot .22LR, .17HMR, .223, .270 and .44 Mag

I've got plenty experience with different calibers and the damage they can do.

I've been shooting for 23 years with over 20 years on rimfire and 13 years on centerfire.

I've picked up plenty experience on the calibers I use and on terminal balistics.

I know the .17 HMR has the power to put down a fox at 200 yards.