First fox with the hmr

reegy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what a load of **** i have been reading anyone with any sense and respects the animals will use a correct calibre for the correct job , 17 hmr is no way a fox calibre no matter if you have shot one in the head at 160 yards :no: , you wouldnt use a 22lr on deer would you ? as after all it has a 40gn head with a range of 75 yards ??? . apply for the right calibre for the correct job and stop being so stupid .no feo would grant a 17 hmr for fox .

Edited by blindeye

what a load of **** i have been reading anyone with any sense and respects the animals will use a correct calibre for the correct job , 17 hmr is no way a fox calibre no matter if you have shot one in the head at 160 yards :no: , you wouldnt use a 22lr on deer would you ? as after all it has a 40gn head with a range of 75 yards ??? . apply for the right calibre for the correct job and stop being so stupid .no feo would grant a 17 hmr for fox .

well get on to them as they do

they won't down here now but did at one point for close range fox

you are right in a way with what you say

but a well placed Hmr round is better than the way some do it with a bloody shot gun

sorry but that was my point with my FEO

and you can't always use a C/F

well get on to them as they do

they won't down here now but did at one point for close range fox

you are right in a way with what you say

but a well placed Hmr round is better than the way some do it with a bloody shot gun

sorry but that was my point with my FEO

and you can't always use a C/F

why not as after all the calibre has been approved for the application. i agree not every one can be granted a c,f for there permissions ,that doent give you the right to main or wound animals at stupid ranges with small calibres .maybe once they did allow 17 hmr fox ? but why would you apply to shoot a close range fox ??? as before apply for the correct calibre .

So you say no feo would grant hmr on foxes :no: i have on mine,as i said in my post it was around 160 yards i had no range finder to be exact....Oh i do have sense and respect for my quarry

why not as after all the calibre has been approved for the application. i agree not every one can be granted a c,f for there permissions ,that doent give you the right to main or wound animals at stupid ranges with small calibres .maybe once they did allow 17 hmr fox ? but why would you apply to shoot a close range fox ??? as before apply for the correct calibre .

were you of with this bute

never said anything about to wound animals at stupid ranges

I said close range on fox

223 243 for nice long shots do the job or even better I find the nice little 204 or is that to small as well

were you of with this bute

never said anything about to wound animals at stupid ranges

I said close range on fox

223 243 for nice long shots do the job or even better I find the nice little 204 or is that to small as well

so your telling me a fox shot with a 17 hmr at 160 yards is ok with you ?

so your telling me a fox shot with a 17 hmr at 160 yards is ok with you ?

I didn't say 160

thats C/F

up to 120 close range

after that I find that over that the shots will start to open up

unless you can get good groups at that sort of distance with your kit

but some will say they can hit a 1/2" group at 150 :hmm:

I didn't say 160

thats C/F

up to 120 close range

after that I find that over that the shots will start to open up

unless you can get good groups at that sort of distance with your kit

but some will say they can hit a 1/2" group at 150 :hmm:

its not about if the round will get that far its about the energy it carrys when it hits the target and in no way is a 20gn bullet at 160 yards has enough energy to kill cleanly unless you get a lucky shot . but this is my view on the matter and many will agree too . and my head hurts too GRAM71

people are too busy thinking "whether they could", what they should be thinking is "whether they should".

the hmr is a great little tool but it's not the god almighty all rounder that some people think it is. If it was so great then why do so many FLDs around the country not let hmr be conditioned for fox?

Reegy, this is not a personal dig at you, you did what you thought to be right and to be fair you did well and bagged the fox, well done to you sir :good:

its not about if the round will get that far its about the energy it carrys when it hits the target and in no way is a 20gn bullet at 160 yards has enough energy to kill cleanly unless you get a lucky shot . but this is my view on the matter and many will agree too . and my head hurts too GRAM71

how much energy do you think it will take to kill a fox at that distance

I have blown the back of a rabbits head away at 220yards with a 17gn v-max

It only takes something like 6FT/LB of energy to kill a fox with a head shot

so think the power of a HMR would do it no prob

but not going in to this any more to much head work :hmm:

how much energy do you think it will take to kill a fox at that distance

I have blown the back of a rabbits head away at 220yards with a 17gn v-max

It only takes something like 6FT/LB of energy to kill a fox with a head shot

so think the power of a HMR would do it no prob

but not going in to this any more to much head work :hmm:

thanks for the lesson on how balistics work . off to shot boar with my 22lr now :lol::lol::lol: