Question .17hmr

lanber1088

Not 8-10 shots.

However it has been writen that the best performance comes from a 17hmr if it is cleaned every 60- 90 shots.

I cant confirm this as i have not got one, but thats what ive read and heard.

there are a few lads on here with HMR's so they should be able to answer your question from experiance.

Hi, i have been told that the .17hmr barrel tends to clog up after 8 to 10 shots and has to be cleaned to keep its accuracy, is this true?

Regards Lanber.

Only clean when accuracy drops off ..............My friend recently borsnaked his after achieving 1" groups at 100 yds ...........It then grouped liked a shotgun and will do until the barrel is fouled up again .

Thats his particular gun .............Yours might behave different ;)

Ive

Thanks for the info chaps, I was told this by a gun shop owner who said that you need to take your cleaning rod out with you to rod the barrel every ten shots or so.

Thanks again.

Lanber.

i think you may be better roding the gun shop owner every ten shots, if he giving you info like that without knowing the gun personally. :)

Get to know your rifle. Some like it this way and some like it like that. Bore snake for the field, rods and brushes when you get home. I treat all my guns the same and when I get them home I always clean them the same way. Brush, solvent, patches, oil and away.

Not had my .17 that long but as it's got a 4 shot mag and it won't load from the mag anyway I have a pocket of bullets and when I get a minute, pull it through. As for 250 shots between cleans, don't really know as I've never been there.

Try it and see!

RTD

must admit there does seem to be an awfull lot of (perhaps missinformation re the hmr .17) I to have been quoted quite unrealistic figures re cleaning the hmr quotes varied from 10 to 20 and ALL from different people? so the chinese whisper is well established, for what it is worth my limited experience of the hmr mine is a marlin 917 vs, is this! had 2 boxes 100 through and I cleaned it 2 pushes of the rod then a full patch job? result friday at mirfield first 6 shots all over the place then it started to settle, settled down very nicely at about 10 shots, fired a further 40 ie finished the box still hitting the 1" circle at 100yards at the last shot, good enough for me?

I do not intend to reclean until accuracy goes regardless how many or few that is?

BUT if I had to clean it every 10 then use say another 6 to zero it? then it would be of no use to me whatsoever in the field would it? as far as bunnies are concerned the sodding weather has limited my use of the gun since I bought it

but took the oppertunity week last sat to hit 3 that were sat out in daylight whilst I was repairing some pheasant pens all at a distance of around 110 /120 yards all hit on the button? summer is gonna see this gun get some seriuos use?

cheers KW

must admit there does seem to be an awfull lot of (perhaps missinformation re the hmr .17) I to have been quoted quite unrealistic figures re cleaning the hmr quotes varied from 10 to 20 and ALL from different people? so the chinese whisper is well established, for what it is worth my limited experience of the hmr mine is a marlin 917 vs, is this! had 2 boxes 100 through and I cleaned it 2 pushes of the rod then a full patch job? result friday at mirfield first 6 shots all over the place then it started to settle, settled down very nicely at about 10 shots, fired a further 40 ie finished the box still hitting the 1" circle at 100yards at the last shot, good enough for me?

I do not intend to reclean until accuracy goes regardless how many or few that is?

BUT if I had to clean it every 10 then use say another 6 to zero it? then it would be of no use to me whatsoever in the field would it? as far as bunnies are concerned the sodding weather has limited my use of the gun since I bought it

but took the oppertunity week last sat to hit 3 that were sat out in daylight whilst I was repairing some pheasant pens all at a distance of around 110 /120 yards all hit on the button? summer is gonna see this gun get some seriuos use?

cheers KW

Told you you would love the HMR :);););)