2011 Chilli (plant) thread

henry d

I have always fancied growing chillis, my porch is an ideal place to grow them, is it to late to plant any out this year?

Ian.

i would try your local garden center if they have some plants they will more than likely be reduced at this time of year :good: its a bit late to start some from seed

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just had my first crop from the Pinnochio's nose plant and the cherry bomb plant. Got some flowers (at last) on the Tabasco plant and the two outside at home (habaneros both of them) are having trouble coping with the wildlife. I need to get some spray for them I think.

However, the three black pearl plants are growing well and so are the two caldero plant.

Just had my first crop from the Pinnochio's nose plant and the cherry bomb plant. Got some flowers (at last) on the Tabasco plant and the two outside at home (habaneros both of them) are having trouble coping with the wildlife. I need to get some spray for them I think.

However, the three black pearl plants are growing well and so are the two caldero plant.

I think this is a problem with some of mine. A lot of my leaves have holes in them. What spray would you recommend?

Is it to late for me to nip the top out of my chilli plants to make them bush out and produce more fruit? They all have fruit on but seem a little leggy some have more than one top if that makes sense and have flowers right at the top. Also how often do you feed and what with I have been using a tomato feed

Is it to late for me to nip the top out of my chilli plants to make them bush out and produce more fruit? They all have fruit on but seem a little leggy some have more than one top if that makes sense and have flowers right at the top. Also how often do you feed and what with I have been using a tomato feed

I'd leave the flowers alone, one of my Habaneros is "leggy" but it seems healthy and is starting to ripen fruit.

I fed mine with Tomorite, but ran out a few weeks ago so now they're on Miracle Gro general purpose, they look fine on it.

I know Mung is generally considered the Daddy of chilli's and everything to do with them so let's see if he can sort this one out.

I'm growing 2 types of chilli plants. One lot is Apache (5 plants bought as plugs fro ma magazine offer - Sorry Mung), which I've had some reasonable success with in previous years. 2 of them aren't doing too great but I'm not too worried about that. My main trouble is the sweet chilli's I'm growing. I've had just one big friut on them for several weeks now and they just aren't turning colour. That it to say that have started to and then seemd to have thought better of it. 2 of these plants aren't doing too well either but again I'm not too fussed about that, it' just the changing of the colour that I want to happen.

Both lots of plants are in pots with good compost mixed with some John Innes. They're fed twice a week with Super Tomato Food (am starting to get more fruit on the sweet chillis now). All plants are outdoors after being starting in the potting shed. Any ideas as to why fruit is reluctant to change colour? Maybe it's not hot enough outside? Yet they are on a south facing wall so that should certainly help.

Any ideas?

Hi

Your fruits should start to change colour given time and a bit more sunshine (is it really August). I have a few chillies & 2 sweet peppers changing now. For food, all plants have their own specific prefered N.P.K. ratios. I recomend Chilli Focus, which is available from Ged at the Chili Seed Company, Cumbria. He is a great guy & his web site is well worth checking out @ chilliseeds.co.uk.

My first naga experience

I was speaking to a chilli expert who said to pick the naga chillies as soon as they look about the right sort of size. So today I thought I would give one a go :huh: with all the hype around them I put some toilet paper in the freezer found some gloves and picked my first chilli. Taking it to the kitchen as if holding a live bomb I thought the best way to try it was raw :huh:

So with a pint glass of milk at the ready I cut a tiny slither off the end of the chilli, got mentally prepared and place it onto my tongue. Expecting to meet with the devil I instead was faced with a pleasant chilli taste with not much heat. This wasn't meant to be, I heard of hardcore Indian chefs who apparently just rub these things over their food to give desired heat. I thought it must just have been because I had got the very end so cut another slice, this time feeling a bit brave I took a larger slice. Noticing a few white bits and some seeds in the slice I braced for the worse with a pint of milk in hand and popped it into my mouth. Nope nothing, a little heat but that was it :hmm: Was getting a bit annoyed by now, I wanted the ultimate bowel cleanser not something that you would use to make salsa for your granny. So I ate the whole thing and drank the milk.

I went back to the naga chilli plant, all the chillies looked much the same and the right size. So why after eating a whole one I hadn't already melted a hole through the toilet?! At the back of the plant was a slightly darker green chilli which I hadn't noticed before, so thought I would pick that one as well. This time without gloves (first mistake) tossing it around in my hands I took it back into the kitchen. My other half was there wondering why on earth gardening gloves and an empty pint glass of milk was on the counter. Well I proclaimed I just ate a whole naga puffing out my chest and trying to look all manly. Watch this as I took half a bite of the new chilli sitting in my hand (second mistake).

My smug manly smile lasted a whole two seconds, followed quickly by someone shoving napalm down my throat. Never have I felt so much pain. I went for the milk only to remember I had already drunk it and the rest had been put in coffee. With my lips rapidly turning numb and a long trail of snot running from my nose, I prayed to god it would be over soon :no: My eyes started to stream and I instinctively went to wipe them (third mistake) Now I thought the gargling of naplam was bad enough but now someone was trying to set fire to my eyeballs. 10 incredibly painful and long minutes later I could at least start to string a sentence together and managed to pour four pots of yogurt down my throat.

I am writing this half an hour later with sore eyes, mildly numb lips, no feeling in my throat and a bad stomach ache. I am still waiting for the next painful stage to happen. Thankfully the toilet paper will be pre-chilled.

I have forwarded the link to the post above to a few people I know, it's a great read, I only hope the chilled loo paper does the trick :lol:

I have two types of chilli, and on one of them the fruits are becoming large, so I suspect it is one of the milder types. The other plants are altogether smaller and looking quite dangerous with small chillis developing, I will take heed from the poster above when handling them.

Unfortunately my bean plants have been destroyed by black aphids, despite a swarm of ladybirds on the plants they didn't seem to make all that much of an impression. However, the tomatoes are fruiting well, in fact I've never had as good a year as this one for tomatoes!

Made a curry last night with a Sharwoods jar of Bhut Jolokia sauce and although it was hot it wasn`t too hot.

Chilli plant numero uno (Thanks Mungler for the seeds) has just a few flowers left on it, loads of chillies though, and I have many still to come from another plant (Thanks to Piebob for those seeds).

Seems to be my best year as I have used a small paintbrush, for each different type, to pollinate them rather than take them outside and get them pollinated by insects. The main reason seems to be that I didn`t get them infested with whitefly this year.

• 1 month later...

Nice one holly, what are the big red ones called as I have that one but can`t remember the type :good:

henry hi

the red ones are actually jalapenos for some strange reason they have not elongated , this also happened last year i think its down to the fact that i started them early on the spare bedroom window sill as the later ones in the greenhouse (from the same packet) have grown as you would expect a jalap to be

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't got a great crop from my plants, there are only a few chilli's on each plant. I notice a few of them are about 2 or 3 inches long but have been green for ages; if I pick these and leave them on the window sill will they turn colour or will I leave them on the plant?