2011 Chilli (plant) thread

henry d

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which type of chillis are doing the best for you guys? I have 4 varietys Anaheim (which I have got no fruits off), Jalapeno (prob 2nd most succesful), Cayenne (no fruits off) and Scotch Bonnett (seem to be the best and I have a lot of fruits coming through).

My Scotch Bonnets almost look as though they have been crossed with the Cayenne, they are quite long (about 3 inches) and thin; would there be any reason why this has happened? I don't have the pots wrongly labelled.

You could have some cross-pollination, but unless they are outside and very close to each other, it shouldn't really happen. Scotch bonnets _should_ be round-ish and about an inch across. If you are getting lots of fruit on it though, just try one when they get ripe and see if you immediately double over in searing pain. Scotch Bonnets will do that to you.

My office plantation is doing well. The Pinocchio's Nose has had a lot of lovely fruit of it, as has the cherry bomb. I am _finally_ getting fruit on the tabasco, but not that much and if it does not hurry up, it's more than likely going to get taken out of the planter. The new plants, although planted late, are doing really well. I have three Black Pearl that are all about 18" tall and fruiting in a big way (purple tinged leaves, purple flowers), and a Chilli Pyramid which is also going well. If I can get a small grow lamp set up, I should be able to keep them going over winter.

I'm also starting to think about next year's crops. I still have seeds for both Mauii Purple and Peter Pepper left and I am sorely tempted to give them a try. If I get spare seedlings, they will be available.

I decided to harvest my first chilli's today, they are still green, but I red if you place them in a cool dark place for a few days they may turn red:

PICT0362.jpg

4 Jalapenos & the long one came from a Scotch Bonnett. This is what I am talking about, all my Scotch Bonnett plants are growing fruit like this. Is it possible B&Q may have give me the wrong seeds in the growing pack?

• 2 weeks later...

Right now that i have taken all of the chills off what do i do with the plants? do i compost them or leave them in the pots over winter for them to carry on next year if they do or do i need new plants

They won't survive a frost but if you can get them protected you'll have a good crop next year.

Right now that i have taken all of the chills off what do i do with the plants? do i compost them or leave them in the pots over winter for them to carry on next year if they do or do i need new plants

mine will be going on the spare bedroom window cill :good:

hate to seem cheeky but every year i buy 2 chilli plants and the bloody dog eats them :angry: ..has anyone got a spare clump of chillies i could have to use now and again when cooking or even to use as dried flakes..otherwise i'll be on years trying to grow 1 plant unless i top the dog! :o I will obviously cover postage etc :blush::good:

I don't know anything about chilli plants so don't laugh.

This is my first plant and already had quite a few off it for cooking

Does anyone know what these are?

I'm asking because I don't know :blush:

86769fe4.jpg

Edited by Cosd

Mine are still at bit backward, they are coming on but very very slowly, they are in the garden - question is, do I need to bring them indoors to avoid the frost?

I haven't got a lot of fruit of mine either and like yours they seem to only be coming on now. I think next year I will plant them a couple of months earlier. I have just today taken my remaining plants inside as it is really cold here today.

OVERWINTERING CHILLI PLANTS.

this is copied word for word from a small section in novembers issue of grow your own.

when your chilli plants have given their all and frost is looming dont consign them to the compost heap.

the extra effort involved in keeping them going from year to year pays dividends:overwintered chillies crop twice as well in their second season and for years after that too.

some chilli varietys do better over winter than others look for capsicum pubescens varietys such as (rocoto) or (manzano) which survive cold temparatures well . chinense types like the habaneros and scotch bonnets are less predictable but you may be lucky in a milder winter annuum types like cayenne are very difficult and probably not worth trying though do experiment to see what works in your conditions .

youll need a frost free greenhouse or a bright windowsill indoors(keeping a keen eye out for red spider mite which can devastate chilli plants in a house). in a greenhouses ,it helps if you can provide gentle bottom heat from an heated mat or a propergator ,as chillis struggle below 10 deg c. let the plants dry out , and cut watering to a minimum only when the soil is close to bone dry.

trim the plants back quite hard , cutting sideshoots to about 5cm from the main stem , its perfectly normal for chillis to drop thier leaves during winter ,though pick up dead ones to prevent disease . around february, start to increase the watering with a drop or two of liquid seaweed added and they should spring back to life :good:

• 3 weeks later...