what carts are people using ?

kev1986

If I'm honest I use Lyvale 25g 6's in my side-by-side as I don't enjoy having my fillings rattled with Eley 32g 5's, but the 32's go into my O/U and semi for any game/rough/etc. I always use the cheapest 28g 7.5's I can find for clays. And always Eley Extra Longs in the .410 ;)

oh, and fibre wads for preference. Landowner rightly gets a bit funny about plastic wads.

Edited by LeeH

The idea behind the 20g IS the lighter weight to carry and swing as I have a bit of a bad back/hip, secondly Im hoping to include both my 10yr old son and/or wife in my new found hobby, so a lighter gun and cartridge might be the order of the day. :good:

Thanks for the input. :yes:

Well, had a great day out today, I did a full round on the clays, shot a rather pathetic 13 out of 80 :blush: by half way round I was knackered and could barely lift the 12g, I've done the full walk around several times before but when you're actually shooting its a lot more tiring, however I persevered till the end, strangely I shot better on some of the harder stands than I did on others.

After we'd finished going round we settled at one of the easy practice stands, 2 birds rising away from you in a straight line and my wife had a few shots of the 20g and hit a fair few, my 10yr old son was made up as he hit a few as well using the 21gram carts, its suprising how much fun it can be AND how quick you can go through two boxes of cartridges when you're hitting a few :good:

All in all, have had a great morning out thanks largely to the help and company of a few new friends, plenty of fresh air and excercise, and the wife says Yes, I can have the 20g O/U too :D

Well, had a great day out today, I did a full round on the clays, shot a rather pathetic 13 out of 80 :blush: by half way round I was knackered and could barely lift the 12g, I've done the full walk around several times before but when you're actually shooting its a lot more tiring, however I persevered till the end, strangely I shot better on some of the harder stands than I did on others.

After we'd finished going round we settled at one of the easy practice stands, 2 birds rising away from you in a straight line and my wife had a few shots of the 20g and hit a fair few, my 10yr old son was made up as he hit a few as well using the 21gram carts, its suprising how much fun it can be AND how quick you can go through two boxes of cartridges when you're hitting a few :good:

All in all, have had a great morning out thanks largely to the help and company of a few new friends, plenty of fresh air and excercise, and the wife says Yes, I can have the 20g O/U too :D

Well tell us which one it is then :rolleyes::good:

that was my thinking so i went for a bigger load but it seem sto be slower so i am thinking of maybe 30g no 6 but somethign about 1450fps were as the 30g no5 are only 1035fps

Eley used to measure their velocity some way from the muzzle, then they were pre porting to be 1035fps. These days everything is measured close to the muzzle and almost all clay and game cartridges are 1300 fps plus and most around 1350-1450. If yours are 1035fps then they are subsonic, only heard of them in very light loads designed for clay shooting beginners. I have tried a few when my eldest daughter was learning and they do take a bit of mastering,

I would be very surprised if your cartridges in 5 shot are 1035fps at the muzzell. More like around 1425 if they are Grand Prix.

A

Well tell us which one it is then :rolleyes::good:

Which one what ?

Ohh the 20g is a s/h Rizzini, very good condition.

Hopefully once I do get my SGC it'll join the 12g 28" Rizzini that my local RFD is storing for me

Edited to add : I think from todays performance the local pigeons are gonna be safe a good while yet :blush: :blush:

Edited as I couldn't spell Pigeons :blush:

Edited by TaxiDriver

just an update lads to say i went on sat to loacl rfd and bought case of gamebore pure gold 32g no 6 for £55 not really tested them yet but had a few hours on the rape and droped 4 birds out of 4 so for now will keep me happy and will hopefully get out at weekend

atb

kev

Edited by kev1986

• 3 weeks later...

I'm quite new to this type of shoting & i must say I enjoy blasting them pesky crows a lot too! I might have struck lucky with my cartridge choice as they really seem to work in my cheap o/u and feel good on the shoulder, for me its eley hi flyers 32g 5 shot! i've tried vip's too but their a bit snappier if you know what i mean. dropped a few cracking shots with the flyers too, at good range!

My mate's also having good results with eley impax 28g 5 shot they feel nice in his ultra light, but like I say we're crow bashers really! lol

I prefer Gamebore Super Steel 32g #4s if given a choice, but for the gun that has a bit of choke I used Gamebore Clear Pigeon 30g #6s.

If you are clipping birds using conventional game or pigeon cartridges it is likely to be technique or range that's the issue, not your load.

I've just been on the game bore website and it dose not say you can't. :lol:

I use the every week and shoot clays well with them please explain

Looks like you've got way with it. They'll be on another thread beating up some Tom, **** or Harry who once shot a Canada Goose in April. :lol:

As someone has already pointed out, this topic has been gone over several times.

Its really quite simple,

it doesn't matter what cartridge you use, 28, 30 , 32 grm. 5's 6's 7's . If you don't hit the bird, it won't fall down. If you do hit it, it will fall down.

I just go for the cheapest cartridge I can get at the time, (my only stipulation is fibre wad, but thats only to reduce the amount of plastic I'm throwing over the farm.)

Changing your cartridges will not make you hit more birds.

Like wise, with chokes.

Get someone with experience to watch you and tell you where you're going wrong.

Sorry to be brutally honest.