How do i stop him eating sheep poo?

blacky

My springer did this...I used to walk him round the field on a choke chain with an old slapstick and when he showed even the slightest interest in it I used to choke him back with a loud NO.! and whack the stik on my boot to make a load crack..he soon got the message.

A properly used choke chain is still a very useful tool for restraining and training a headstrong dog

My springer did this...I used to walk him round the field on a choke chain with an old slapstick and when he showed even the slightest interest in it I used to choke him back with a loud NO.! and whack the stik on my boot to make a load crack..he soon got the message.

A properly used choke chain is still a very useful tool for restraining and training a headstrong dog

Thanks Mike will try that tomorrow. :good:

Good luck!! If anyone knows how to stop Raggy my springer rolling in anything that's been dead for a long time then answers on a postcard!

Managed to train her out of eating anything dead and crusty she finds but not the rolling in something resembling rancid goo :-/

Anyways...back on topic my father in laws black lab used to do the same when walking but never when working? Almost like he wanted something to pick up and the sheep muck filled a gap lol

Most of the time the eat horse and sheep poo because they are missing various elements in their diet. I guess you are all feeding a biscuit based diet.

That's right Richie i feed mine biscuit diet.

What could i add to his diet to give him other elements in his diet that he needs? :hmm:

And yes he also eats horse poo :/

That's right Richie i feed mine biscuit diet.

What could i add to his diet to give him other elements in his diet that he needs? :hmm:

And yes he also eats horse poo :/

Proper meat, proper vegies and healthy table scraps- dont believe the hype and marketing dogs aint meant to eat biscuits :good:

Proper meat, proper vegies and healthy table scraps- dont believe the hype and marketing dogs aint meant to eat biscuits :good:

And don't believe the BARF hype either, not many dogs fed on complete diets drop down dead :good: I'm sure the truth is out there :lol:

I don't subscribe to the "something missing in their diet" theory.

As well as the 3 resident dogs I have, I have had another 6 through here in the past year (lodgers, training, on loan etc); the mix of dogs comprised 2 ESS, 2 Cockers and 5 labs. All are fed the same. Of the 9 of them being exercised in the same field, 3 of them (2 labs and 1 ESS) chose to eat sheep ****. :hmm:

And don't believe the BARF hype either, not many dogs fed on complete diets drop down dead :good: I'm sure the truth is out there :lol:

As well as the 3 resident dogs I have, I have had another 6 through here in the past year (lodgers, training, on loan etc); the mix of dogs comprised 2 ESS, 2 Cockers and 5 labs. All are fed the same. Of the 9 of them being exercised in the same field, 3 of them (2 labs and 1 ESS) chose to eat sheep ****. :hmm:

Glad to see you had some proper dogs in your kennel :P

If anyone knows how to stop Raggy my springer rolling in anything that's been dead for a long time then answers on a postcard!

My GWP is the exact same he has a fondness for dead sheep he'll go over and roll beside them for about 5 minutes :lol::lol:

Does anyone know why dogs do such things?

It's becoming a bit of an obsession for mine :lol:

Not sure what tou are saying about raw meats- other than don't feed rank rubbish :hmm:

I'm of the same belief it isn't them missing anything, its the simple fact that sheep **** and rabbit **** smells and tastes nice if you are a dog. You can train them out of it but thats all you are doing, mine can be a ***** with horse poo pretty much sorted it but given the chance she will eat it.

The diet theory applies more if they eat their own IMHO

Not sure what tou are saying about raw meats- other than don't feed rank rubbish :hmm:

All I'm saying is there is as much, if not more, hype surrounding BARF diets and their variants as there is surrounding complete kibble.

Each to their own as far as food as concerned, god knows there have been enough threads on here to demonstrate that. I tend to find BARF feeders evangelical about the whole thing, regarding kibble as food only fit for goldfish or the devil, when there is in reality little in the way of science to back up the perceived benefits of BARF, and I expect many more dogs are fed complete than BARF with no ill effects.

Edited by WGD

I'm sure my little springer is convinced rabbit **** is the left over choc' chips from a cookie factory........little cow will eat as many as she can cram in her mouth until she gets shouted at. Not interested in cows,sheep or horsey stuff but just loves rabbit droppings for some bizarre reason.

All I'm saying is there is as much, if not more, hype surrounding BARF diets and their variants as there is surrounding complete kibble.

Each to their own as far as food as concerned, god knows there have been enough threads on here to demonstrate that. I tend to find BARF feeders evangelical about the whole thing, regarding kibble as food only fit for goldfish or the devil, when there is in reality little in the way of science to back up the perceived benefits of BARF, and I expect many more dogs are fed complete than BARF with no ill effects.

i suspect your correct also as complete is easy so lots feed it and yes there is a lot of science surounding complete foods by people sponcered by the manufacturers in the main . BARF only stands for bones and raw food, in reality its not how i feed mine. Raw meat yes in the main, bones yes one or two knuckle bones often raw fish in season though in fairness he also gets a fair amount of spag bol, chips, toast crusts even tinned dog food etc. the real trick is in an amount of veriety rather than just same old chicken feed so they pick up on all the things they need and develop the constitution to deal with variation in thier diet. Evangenical? i know the sort your talking about but it aint me sharing haddock and chips in the car on the way home from a hard day aint that unusual :lol: