How do i stop him eating sheep poo?

blacky

My cocker..(4 months) started a fascination for doing this...i think in the end he got tired of me telling him to leave it...he still stops for the odd moment alongside a pile but i think he can still hear me in his head..and moves swiftly on...lol.

i happened to mention it to the farmer, whose land we were on and he said i should consider it as a free worming regime,because his animals are all treated very regularly...

Ultimately i dont think it is really doing much harm but should be discouraged where possible...and other posters are probably right in that it is the dogs way of gaining some missed nutrition...

Daz

Edited by gamechef

I'm sure my little springer is convinced rabbit **** is the left over choc' chips from a cookie factory........little cow will eat as many as she can cram in her mouth until she gets shouted at. Not interested in cows,sheep or horsey stuff but just loves rabbit droppings for some bizarre reason.

bells the same, loves rabbit ****

sheep poo lol

HA HA! Yep.

I would like to help but I fear that all the biscuit feeders will come down on me.

You have to think about what dogs eat naturally, first guts, then meat and then bones.

I would introduce some veg to the dogs diet like broccoli or feed some green tripe.

Problem with many biscuits is that they contain alot of grain, make the dog dry and make them **** more.

On a more natural diet they produce less and you can feed them variety. On occasions I will feed them biscuits for a change but always with water and never mixed with meat.

Some people swear by biscuits but I have found that they less stomach upsets with feeding a raw diet.

Good luck :good:

No, pineapple chunks (if fed to them) is supposed to stop them eating their own (causing a chemical reaction in their stomach). I've had mixed success, I'm sure there's truth in it but one pup I had I would have needed to feed it nothing but pc's :lol:

• 1 month later...

My oldest doberman used to roll in fox poo, no amount of shouting would stop him from sniffing out a bit and smearing it up his neck. We were having to bath him every day and that's not good for a dog, so I bought a Sportdog shock collar. 4 zaps later he stopped and has never done it again in the 4 years since.

Ours used to do this, but we have found that simply keeping her occupied with training exercises or a few retrieves keeps her away from it. We know where the problem areas are for fox **** in the area, so when we get to them we do some training and it keeps her off it.

Horse poo she just walks past now without taking any notice. :good:

If your dogs eat sheep **** be aware of various parasites sheep carry which may affect your dogs - mine are wormed regularly with Drontal,

There is a worm which can affect the brain in an intermediate stage, and canines are the host.

The dog gets wormed every 3 months :good: