is home brewing leagle

highseas

Henry me old tooty fruity .

Re-read my post . What your quoting is direct ingestion of Methanol .

To counter .

Methanol poisoning can be treated with the antidotes ethanol or fomepizole.[12][15][16] Both of these drugs act to reduce the action of alcohol dehydrogenase on methanol by means of competitive inhibition, so that it is excreted by the kidneys rather than being transformed into toxic metabolites.[12] Further treatment may include giving sodium bicarbonate for metabolic acidosis and haemodialysis or haemodiafiltration can be used to remove methanol and formate from the blood.[12] Folinic acid or folic acid is also administered to enhance the metabolism of formate.[12]

So home distilling , At the start of the run a small amount of methanol will come out of the wash BUT Ethanol also comes out with the Methanol . Seeing as Ethanol is an antidote to Methanol poisioning , i still would like to meet somebody that has been turned blind by distilling at home .

all the best yis yp :yp:

Absolutely true me old china, however nice as we try to be to all our chums on here, some will never have the cranial sufficiency to know how to tie their shoes, therefore I suggest that a good dose of scare tactics are better than anything for a safe time.

And so back to the methanol/ethanol argument, yes ethanol can be used to treat the effects, but it needs to be a large dose, as basically they break down the same way and so is an inhibitor.

If one of the cranially challenged, as identified above, happens to mis-read or think they are harder than an chocolate frog with a switchblade, then they may not throw away the first condensates from the still and swig it down. The body will then convert it to formaldehyde(sp) and then the lights go out.

:good:

I've seen a lad neck pootcheen once and had tempory blindness for two weeks,Norweegians used to distill some nasty stuff as alcohol Was so expensive the lads used to ignite it first to check purity ,I can't remember how it had to burn as never touched the rubbish always was able to get beer and spirits fom some where

another way is they put a silver coin in the bottom of a cup and fill with coffee till the coin just disappears then fill up with the alcohol till the coin just reappears

saw it on a keith floyd program a while back