Killing off weed stumps

JonD

Hi All,

I have been digging out round the perimeter of my house between the patio and wall and have about 3 stumps that i need to kill off never to return.

Once whatever method is effected they will be covered with weed prevention membrane and about 3-4cm of slate chippings but want to make sure they don't come back.

I have removed about a ton of spoil so far and don't want to have to dig out any of the 1000KG of slate again :)

Cheers,

Jon.

Don't know if it's still available but used to be a product called HBK Brushkiller, other methods I've heard of have involved drilling large hole(s) into stump and using Jeyes fluid poured into the holes, or need liquid weed killer concentrate, or paraffin or paraffin/jeyes combo.

You don't say what sort of stumps ? Can you dig around stumps and saw through as many roots as possible?

Cheers :)

Where they were they were hard to access, the wall of the house behind them and then 5" gap to paving so couldn't dig out or get a saw in.

Have removed them today with a combination of a bow saw, cold chisel, lump hammer then got the SDS out with a chisel :)

They will not be coming back and what was left are now covered with weed membrane and crushed slate.

Jon.

Cheers :)

Where they were they were hard to access, the wall of the house behind them and then 5" gap to paving so couldn't dig out or get a saw in.

Have removed them today with a combination of a bow saw, cold chisel, lump hammer then got the SDS out with a chisel :)

They will not be coming back and what was left are now covered with weed membrane and crushed slate.

Jon.

I feel exhausted thinking about what you have done - you deserve a very large drink after a Radox filled hot bath!

I feel exhausted thinking about what you have done - you deserve a very large drink after a Radox filled hot bath!

After digging out about 4 cubic yards of compacted soil\stone then backfilling with membrane and slate I am very tired, very very tired! I normally drive a desk...

Still have lot's to do but enjoying it :) despite the pain ;)

Jon.

Hi All,

I have been digging out round the perimeter of my house between the patio and wall and have about 3 stumps that i need to kill off never to return.

Once whatever method is effected they will be covered with weed prevention membrane and about 3-4cm of slate chippings but want to make sure they don't come back.

I have removed about a ton of spoil so far and don't want to have to dig out any of the 1000KG of slate again :)

Cheers,

Jon.

We had a tree taken down in our front garden (higher than the house and starting to lean a bit) anyhoo the tree fella told me diesel fairly kills the stump off. Cost of fuel now imagine its a bit pricey.