transporting air rifles on public transport

fenman09

I have just spent the past week looking into the new rules and regulations for transporting air rifles and firearms if you have to use public transport to govto a gun club or to shoot over land that you have permission to shoot over.

it is now as from the first of this month to transport any air weapon,or firearm or any ammunition on buses and trains,there rules and byelaws say it is illegle to have them on there bus or train,and any one caught with one will have it confiscated,they will prosecute you,and you will lose your FAC

i myself choose not to drive as i dont want to so i use public transport and hve been doing so for the past eleven years transporting an air rifle to the gun club i belong to and by train as well.

and for the past seven years i havre used a bus service to get me to a farm to shoot over and have allways taken my air rifle up there by bus with no problems at all whatso ever.

the law states that so long as your rifle is in a gunslip or case we can travel to and from the venue we are going to.

i for one am really angry over all this its just the idiots in power who think they know it all and are once again trying to spoil it for us so i for one will be flouting this new law and i will still use buses and trains to get to where i am going to shoot and will keep on taking my air rifle with me in its case.

if any one else has had any problems with transporting an air weapon it wouls be nice to hear about it i have taken it up with my local mp and basc and my mp is angry as he is a shooter himself and basc said its stupid and are looking into it.

it has down here by where i live in merseyside you are no longer allowed on public transport at all with any air weapon or fire arm or ammo there a bloody big row going on at the moment over it

So its a local thing to you then, a Byelaw type of thing rather than Law of the Land

• 5 weeks later...

Kind of. Its up to the individual TOC to decide their own rules.

I spoke to my feo today about this subject and she says there is nothing stopping anyone carrying air weapons or ammo nor anything else to do with guns as long as they are out of eyes way if you know what i meen .

I spoke to my feo today about this subject and she says there is nothing stopping anyone carrying air weapons or ammo nor anything else to do with guns as long as they are out of eyes way if you know what i meen .

That is the LEGAL situation as far as I'm aware.

Just the same, there is nothing to stop any bus, train, taxi, airline, etc etc introducing their own rules and refusing to carry them!

:yes:

I have just spent the past week looking into the new rules and regulations for transporting air rifles and firearms if you have to use public transport to govto a gun club or to shoot over land that you have permission to shoot over.

it is now as from the first of this month to transport any air weapon,or firearm or any ammunition on buses and trains,there rules and byelaws say it is illegle to have them on there bus or train,and any one caught with one will have it confiscated,they will prosecute you,and you will lose your FAC

i myself choose not to drive as i dont want to so i use public transport and hve been doing so for the past eleven years transporting an air rifle to the gun club i belong to and by train as well.

and for the past seven years i havre used a bus service to get me to a farm to shoot over and have allways taken my air rifle up there by bus with no problems at all whatso ever.

the law states that so long as your rifle is in a gunslip or case we can travel to and from the venue we are going to.

i for one am really angry over all this its just the idiots in power who think they know it all and are once again trying to spoil it for us so i for one will be flouting this new law and i will still use buses and trains to get to where i am going to shoot and will keep on taking my air rifle with me in its case.

if any one else has had any problems with transporting an air weapon it wouls be nice to hear about it i have taken it up with my local mp and basc and my mp is angry as he is a shooter himself and basc said its stupid and are looking into it.

if you have read total airgunhunting by pete wadeson ,it state in the rules section that you cant carry even a cased weapon on public transport,and that book is a few years old! i have had it now 3years

message to all, i spoke to my mp kenneth clarke and he has told me that the gov are tying to ammend it,so we can carry them on public transport,how ever at moment you cant!going to be reviewed at end of year ,.i got my info on this from total airgun hunting (pete wadeson)and the book is 2-3 years old,(in my possesion any way)he states illegal to carry on public transport(any transport)and you risk confiscation ,lifetime ban and £1000 fine or imprisonment,so beware!!!! for now any way

message to all, i spoke to my mp kenneth clarke and he has told me that the gov are tying to ammend it,so we can carry them on public transport,how ever at moment you cant!going to be reviewed at end of year ,.i got my info on this from total airgun hunting (pete wadeson)and the book is 2-3 years old,(in my possesion any way)he states illegal to carry on public transport(any transport)and you risk confiscation ,lifetime ban and £1000 fine or imprisonment,so beware!!!! for now any way

Is it April 1st.

Quote some Legislation please!

Carrying a concealed weapon is a different matter, but frankly I don't see Ken Clarke trying to change the legislation on that one.

Edited by Dekers

Main issue is carrying a Air Gun with Pellets in same Bag -

In Vehicles or on Highway

Transport seems down to Local By Law Issues

Except for Under 18's - Who are Now totally Banned from Carrying or using a Air Gun without

Adult Supervision - New National Law This Year - February 11

BOB/R

Main issue is carrying a Air Gun with Pellets in same Bag -

In Vehicles or on Highway

really? Again i would like to see the legislation as you can carry a shotgun slipped legally! You need to be a cert holder of course. How does the legislation deal with FAC air? I assume under FAC rules

Carrying firearms in a public place

(section 19 of the 1968 Act)

22.12 Section 19 of the 1968 Act makes it an

offence to have in a public place without

lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the

proof whereof lies on the accused) a loaded

air weapon or a loaded shot gun, or any

other firearm, whether loaded or not,

together with ammunition suitable for use in

that firearm. Care should be taken to ensure

that those who may have lawful authority or

reasonable excuse to carry firearms in a

public place are not unnecessarily

inconvenienced.

22.13 Section 57(6) of the 1968 Act includes

a definition of “loaded†in relation to shot

guns and air weapons. An air weapon is to

be treated as loaded if there is a pellet in the

breach, even if the compression necessary to

fire the gun is not present; and in the case of

a shot gun or air weapon having a loaded

magazine, the gun is to be treated as loaded,

even though there is no round in the breech.

22.14 The definition of a “public place†in

section 57(4) of the 1968 Act is the same as

that in section 1(4) of the Prevention of

Crime Act 1953, specifically “any highway

and any other premises or place to which at

the material time the public have or are

permitted to have access, whether on

payment or otherwiseâ€. For Scotland, the

word “highway†in the definition of “public

place†in section 57(4) has been deleted and

replaced by “road (within the meaning of the

Roads (Scotland) Act 1984)â€. Relevant case

law here is Anderson v Miller and Another,

QBD 1997.

22.15 Members of an approved rifle or

muzzle-loading pistol club who carry club

firearms and ammunition for the purpose of

club shoots at ranges away from their home

club premises benefit from the provisions of

section 15 of the 1988 Act. People so doing

might be encouraged to carry written

authority from their club secretary or club

official and a copy of the club certificate.

Firearms removed from club premises for the

purpose of participating in competitions

should be returned, without delay, to the club

storage after the competition, unless it is

impracticable to do so.

Is it April 1st.

Quote some Legislation please!

Carrying a concealed weapon is a different matter, but frankly I don't see Ken Clarke trying to change the legislation on that one.

no joke buddy .kenn clarke is my local rushcliffe mp,and a friend of family since being old enuff to come out of nappies ,i asure you he is on behalf of con party he is working on it.

no joke buddy .kenn clarke is my local rushcliffe mp,and a friend of family since being old enuff to come out of nappies ,i asure you he is on behalf of con party he is working on it.

What is he working on?

What legislation says you cannot carry FAC/SGC/Air rifle on any form of Public Transport?

" Except for Under 18's - Who are Now totally Banned from Carrying or using a Air Gun without

Adult Supervision - New National Law This Year - February 11"

Is this correct? I've not heard this before,nor has my mate who drops his 14yr old grandson off on his permission to shoot on his own.

I'm beginning to feel like Jeremy Paxman...

What legislation says you cannot carry FAC/SGC/Air rifle on any form of Public Transport?

Cheers

:good::good:

A grumpy bus driver told me I couldn't bring my folding bicycle on the bus. I doubt the miserable *** will be any more amenable if I step on with a rifle. However, in both cases there are no laws saying I can't.