How much to fit a new engine in a Defender.

dazbrit

I have the chance of buying a n/a defender 90 for a really good price. The landy has no rust anywhere on it and has been looked after really well over the years, I've had a go in it and she drives lovely, but slow, hence my post. As anyone any idea how much a tdi engine would cost to buy and then get fitted. I really want this Defender, but not with the engine that's in it, I found it difficult and quite dangerous pulling out at a junction as it didn't have the power. Any help would be great. Thanks.

you could buy a disco which is out of mot etc with good engine etc for as little as £250 and fit yourself. A 200tdi is the easiest conversion to do, engine goes straight in.

A bloke round my way charges around £600 to do a conversion, but i think that includes new clutch and complete service etc, plus the engine on top.

I swapped my original TD engine for 200tdi.it goes straight in on the same mounts the only other things you need to buy are silicone turbo hose to bend intake away from body and exhaust down pipe both of which you can buy from the bay. I bought my engine and intercooler plus radiator from a guy who breaks discos for £350. Total installation cost £ 500 and only took a weekend spannering

nice and easy job , total cost about £500 ish quid if you do it yourself. Steve Parker do a manifold conversion, then you just need to work out the pipes. Will take best part of a weekend including sorting out little snags. From memory you need tocut off the bottom of the radiator / intercooler location pegs, but nothing serious. The engine sits in on the existing mounts. I found it easirt to buy an old Disoc when I did mine, then you have all the parts you need from the donar. Sold the alloys for about £100 and got about £150 scrap for the body as well.

I have the chance of buying a n/a defender 90 for a really good price. The landy has no rust anywhere on it and has been looked after really well over the years, I've had a go in it and she drives lovely, but slow, hence my post. As anyone any idea how much a tdi engine would cost to buy and then get fitted. I really want this Defender, but not with the engine that's in it, I found it difficult and quite dangerous pulling out at a junction as it didn't have the power. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Mate,

Speeding it up could be a simple fuel pump mod (no parts required.) Google 'Understanding and tuning the Injection Pump of

Land Rover Tdi Engines' and follow the instuctions. I did it on my Pajero SWB (uses the same fuel pump) as it had exactly the same issue - slow off the mark - its well worth a punt if the engine runs ok with no smoke, No heavy knocking or rattling, no headgasket issues etc.... If its cheap its well worth a go.

EDIT - Ah just read you post properly - I tkae it it doesnt have a tdi engine???

Mike

Edited by Newsportshooter