Are Winchesters O/U any good?

NickP

I have been looking at what shotgun to get whilst waiting for my SGC application to be processed, and my interview seamed to go well yesterday :yes:

Whilst looking around over the last few weeks, I ended up at York Guns and was shown a few new and second hand guns, beretta's, Browning, Miruko and I came across the Winchesters whilst there, though they didn't show me these.

After trying guns for fit, I was told the Miruko MK38/MK70 was a good fit and off the shelf Brownings, I wasn't too keen on the Silver Pig 1, but will re-look at that when the time comes to buy, but I felt the Winchester Select energy was a nice weight and fit myself.

Now the main reason for this post is....

I liked the look and feel on the Winchester Select Energy Adjustable stock, but i'm not sure on how they will hold out in terms or wear and tear.

Reading reviews, they get good feedback, but they are only using them for a day or two and normally always give good reports back.

When looking in gunshops that don't sell Winchesters, they slate them as been unreliable, we used to stock them but had problems with new guns been marked, or this that and the other going faulty on them, this might be that they don't sell them, and they slate other brands so you buy one they do stock.

So what are these like in the real world :hmm: I seen the thread on a stock cracking on here, but i have also read that people say they are great guns also

What i don't want to do is buy a unreliable shotgun thats going to spend more time been fixed than shot :blush:

Finally, looking at the Winchester Catalogue and Prices online, Is there any other difference between the Select Sporting Topcote II 'Signature' £1000 and and the Select Energy Sporting £1300, the barrels seem the same spec,

Would I be paying £300 more just for different chequering, matt black barrels, and a adjustable stock? :hmm:

I looked at a mixture of guns before plumping on a Beretta, and thought that the Winchesters felt 'heavy', but they are nice guns though! And I also quote the local dealership in saying "they all feel like they've had a million carts through them when opening them, but they are bloody good guns" - and certainly the ones I looked at were loose in opening, but doubt thats anything to be worrying about :)

people use to slag the winny autos,now they are one of the best sellers. the o/u should be a good gun.if it suits you then i say go ahead. the resale may not be as good. i would buy one if i could get a clean secondhand example.i liked the feel of them too. try shotgunworld forums to see the yanks love them.

Hi

Have a look at this

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/shotguns/126794/Winchester_Select_Energy_shotgun_review.html

Sorry thats the wrong review on the old model the Select 2 is much better made

This is the one

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/winchester_select_2_sporting/

Phil

Edited by caballero

I think the stock cracking you refer to could be my topic. I bought a select light from the game fair and the stock cracked a few shots in. BWM didn't mess around they replaced it but I wasn't very happy with my replacement as it too had what looked like a hair line crack. I now have a Select English field. Very impressed with it, nice looking gun, quite light compared to my friends beretta and I seem to be shooting quite alot better after upgrading from old baikal.

They are part of the BWM Group so they are produced in belgium alongside brownings, I would even be tempted to buy the select sporting Topcoat for clays if I had the money!

2 Pence!

They are part of the BWM Group so they are produced in belgium alongside brownings,

All of the cheaper Brownings B525 etc are barrelled and Actioned in Japan at the BC Miroku factory (not sure about the Cynergy but think they are Miroku barrels) Winchester now sit in amongst the Browning Miroku ranges (as entry level?) although the older Winchesters 101 etc have a good reputation and are nice looking hard wearing. The newer ones certainly offer VFM you should find the fit slightly different between Winchester, Browning & Miroku but all very similar.

BTW "topcote" is a hard coating which if damaged can be hard to repair unlike oiled wood which can be sanded/steamed and re oiled.

MY advice would be try a few out and see what suits/fits Browning Int do "open days" throughout the year where you can shoot the entire range so might be worth going along before purchasing

Edited by HDAV

I think the stock cracking you refer to could be my topic. I bought a select light from the game fair and the stock cracked a few shots in. BWM didn't mess around they replaced it but I wasn't very happy with my replacement as it too had what looked like a hair line crack. I now have a Select English field. Very impressed with it, nice looking gun, quite light compared to my friends beretta and I seem to be shooting quite alot better after upgrading from old baikal.

They are part of the BWM Group so they are produced in belgium alongside brownings, I would even be tempted to buy the select sporting Topcoat for clays if I had the money!

2 Pence!

I believe it was your thread on the cracked stock, but its quite reassuring that you stayed with the brand, something like the wood splitting on the gun and possible on its replacement would make me switch brands

The Select Engery and the Miroku MK70 were similar priced at YG, I think Miroku/Browning would be the choice for when it comes to selling on/trading up, but would a Winchester loose loads more money? due to been a slightly lesser brand in the UK

I'm not too concerned :hmm: as you have to buy the gun you prefer the looks of and which fits, but if a Winchester is going to be worth next nothing in say 5 to 10 years, the cost to change is going to be quite large

Looking at the gun trading website, I can't find any Select Energys second hand, those listed all look like they have been incorrectly listed and are pictured showing Select Sporting topcote etc with scrolling not the plain sides engraving of the Energy so im finding it hard to judge loss on it

BTW "topcote" is a hard coating which if damaged can be hard to repair unlike oiled wood which can be sanded/steamed and re oiled.

MY advice would be try a few out and see what suits/fits Browning Int do "open days" throughout the year where you can shoot the entire range so might be worth going along before purchasing

How do you find out were the browning open days are?

the TopCote chipping/damage issues is a little worrying, does anybody know if the Select Energy is finished the same?

I believe the mash the wood up into chips and reform it or something like that

My two pennies worth your better off buying a good second hand gun from one of the big names,browning/miroku /beretta/or bit cheaper lanber,but make sure it fits

You will getter a better return on your money when you change guns.

Always loads of advice on these guns as most of us have one of them and loads of spares available.

ALB figgy

My two pennies worth your better off buying a good second hand gun from one of the big names,browning/miroku /beretta/or bit cheaper lanber,but make sure it fits

You will getter a better return on your money when you change guns.

Always loads of advice on these guns as most of us have one of them and loads of spares available.

ALB figgy

Thanks for your advice, I wouldn't buy the winney if it didn't fit, I felt it did but would ask he shop

I know the winney won't hold money as good as beretta or browning/miruko but all I hear is the cheapo brands including lamber loose too much money

The chap at Yorkguns said so, something along the lines a new £800 lamber and s/h Miroku MK38 valued at £750 a year down the line if trading up time the values would be £400 and MK38 at £600.

If I get either of the winny then I expect I would just keep them, I'm not interested at the moment in paying £££££ just to have nice wood, But obviously don't want wood that's falling apart a year down the line

I suppose it's a question of fit first, then a question of which design and asthetics suit my taste, then if I risk the lesser brand of winchester over the better Browning or Miroku

I bought a Winchester Select Sporting 2 because it seemed to fit me as soon as i picked it up( see an earlier post this evening). I've owned it for nearly 17months now with no problems at all. I tend to keep my guns,why change for something else if it does the job. Mine is'nt the Topcoat. Personally i dont like that finish,the oiled stock looks much better and is easier to look after. I would'nt worry about aftersales either , good backing from the Browining/Miroku group. If the gun fits you and fits your pocket i would say go for it :good: .

ATB Pat

Yeah I stuck with them, I use my English field for all sorts. I prefer the engraving on it to the others in the range. http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/694bd58d95efdf7400261808/WINCHESTER+Select+English+Field+12G/ Good price there, probably get it cheaper if you look around!

Can get it in 30" if thats what you want.

For me it has the better engraving, is quite light and comes with good wood.

Dont get me wrong I would of bought a browning or Beretta but I couldn't find any for as good value as the Winchesters! When I see one come up for sale I always think I should buy it and get rid of the Winchester but when I think real hard, I have no reason too other than the Winchester is SUPPOSED to be less of a gun. Its not in my opinion.

I got my winchester in December 2010 and i love it im at the clay ground most weekends banging 200 at a time through it (fantastic). I travelled to malton to www.thegun-room.co.uk and met Rob what a gent he made sure it fit ok and the deal was done, i even got some freebies :good: I didnt buy it because of the price infact i went up expecting to pay 2 grand for a gun so well chuffed.

ATB

Birky

thanks Birky

Can i ask what you paid and which model you got?

I know YorkGuns had the Select Energy up for £1350, said he would do it for £1300, even though it was on demo :o said if i paid the £1350 price i would get everything i needed, slip, box of carts, cleaning kit etc

but since i wasn't buying and just looking I didn't look any further or haggle, I also want to look at the Select II Signature first too

Edited by NickP

Hi just too say i just bought a winchester select top cote looking forward to using it for the first time this weekend. I read nearly every review i could find before i bought it. Bit of a cross between a beratta and a browning so should be good i hope.

Not too worried about the stock looks like it withstand a hefty whack before chipping top cote finish, and at the end of the day the stock isn't were the money is! I do have one worry with it though, is that it has a rattle when moved side to side sounds like its in the trigger assembly! Does anyone know if this is normal for a new gun? does it have something to do with barrel switching on firing perhaps ( think recoil sets hammer for second barrel). Any comments would be apreciated. cheers will let you now how gun shoots..

Edited by jimmy81