Are Winchesters O/U any good?

NickP

Nick, at the CLA last year, the select light I bought was next to a brand new select topcoat 2 signature. It was marked 950. So I would keep looking around as that gives you a marker for how much you can get them for. I think in total I got my select for £900 but that was sent back and I have the English field now, which looking at the retail means I didn't get a bad price!

Personally,I think Winchester lost their way regarding o/u's when they stopped producing the 101.I am a big Winchester fan and just don't think the quality is there anymore.The 101's are a great gun though,in my opinion,and 'mintish' examples can still be found.If anyone is interested,there's a mintish 28" 101 XTR Sporter in Lakeland Guns,Workington at the moment.Iwould have bought it but bought two other Winchesters instead,and yes,one of them was another 101,my fifth!Love 'em.

so far, without the haggle the best advertised price i have seen is £970 for the Topcote II but thats in Wales, the best price with in 2hr drive is £995 Select Sporting, £999 Topcote Sig and £1245 for Select Energy Adj which is at the top of my list at the moment, but once i'm hands on with the others it might all change :rolleyes:

Edited by NickP

I have to wait for my SCG ;)

I am assuming with the oil wood finish on the Energy, if the worst did happen the Select Energy could be repaired, unlike the topcote finish which people say is not possible to be done easily

They do look nice though :)

SelectEnergySporting.jpg

SELECTSPORTINGIITOPCOTE12MSIGNATURE.jpg

had my interview last week, which was two weeks after its submission.

said it would be two to four weeks later for his visit to check the fixture of the gunsafe.

its also a little bit more than i was thinking of spending originally, so i need to put a little bit more to one side first too

Hey Jimmy81. I think the rattle you are taking about is when you dry fire the gun, the fire pin rattles very slightly. Is this what you mean ?

if so yes its fine.

Hi Birky Thanks for reply on the rattle! I was cleaning it for the first time when noticed rattle! I read the hand book which said to clean off excess grease and oil before use, when wiping the stock over noticed it rattles when tilted side to side and up and down. seems to be uniformed noise though as if something moving slightly one way or another! I am gonna give it a run out this weekend if it has no problems cool if it does i will take it back! may stop rattling when had live rounds through it maybe! i hope as gun feels great!

I applied for my SGC inseptember 2010 and it finally arrived to days before christmas :good: which is great but couldnt get to the gunshop until the week after.

Never wanted christmas to go by as quick as i did. And then today i had fire arm officer around as my daughters boy friend (hes in the Army and has vertualy move in) has applied fot his ticket from my house, he said his should only take a couple of weeks :angry: .

Bet ya cant wait Jimmy :good:

Hi again everyone, shot first 50 bird sporting with new winchester this morning. It was good i aint no crack shot but felt really good and confident 2day hit 33/50 best i have shot yet and 2 do it with new gun even better! the rattle seems 2 have dampend down to a slight click. The recoil can be compared 2 an angels kiss!! and if any one is thinking of buying one i can only say i am glad i spent the money on a new winchester, and not a used beretta, miroko or browning( i can build up 2 buying a new one of those now) If you get the chance 2 try b4 you buy even better put it against the 2nd handers! let me know what you think.

But at that price is it better than a new Beretta Silver Pigeon 1.....

Hi Paid just over a grand for mine! and with beretta knocking out the 686 for arond 1350 now, are they gonna keep 2nd hand value? yes its a beretta so its gonna be good but in 12 mnths time u will be lucky if you get a grand back.(why have 2nd hand when you can get a new one for a few more bucks!) if my winchester is only worth 600 in 12mnths time i will keep it for another year!!

Good to hear the Winchester was a good gun

I have done dome thinking on 2nd values, and decided to hopefully go with the select energy, what it's worth in X years is something I have pondered on, but if it fits and is realiable then i won't be selling in a year or two, as if it goes bang when I ask it too there's no reason to swap

Well that's the plan :lol:

but if it fits and is realiable then i won't be selling in a year or two, as if it goes bang when I ask it too there's no reason to swap

That's exactly my thought with the Silver Pig... At £1200 it will stay for sometime... I'll just add to the collection... That is until the cabinet is full...

My views are the same if it fits go with it! i really like the look of the 682 gold e its meant to be the dogs as far as clay guns go on that sort of budget, but will definately try before i buy now i have my select.Have only been clay shooting for 12mnths now so only a beginer, as i progress then i my look at another gun if i feel it will better my scores.

• 9 years later...

Hi all, picked up my Winchester Select Energy  Sporter Adj  30” today and I’m very impressed. Shot at Wedgnock SG  in horrendous weather of rain and strong wind ending up with 

Compac sporting. 21/19

Esk. 24/23

ATM I’m very impressed. Well balanced, adjustable stock, 30” Matt barrels, Teague extended iv Chokes. This Winny is going to be used a lot🥇🥇🥇🏆🏆🏆

Hi, 

My first gun back in 2014 was a Winchester Select Deluxe Field. Since then, it has had thousands of cartridges through it varying from light clay loads up to 3 inch high performance steel and has never missed a beat once. 

It’s been used on clays, game, decoying pigeon and on salt marshes wildfowling countless times and not let me down once. 

I also have a SX3 Which has shot the same as above minus game shooting and again, never let me down. 

I would happily have another and always been tempted by the Select Energy! 

I personally think for the value, you get a lot of gun.. 

Regards, 

Dave 

Dont know what they are like now but the early years  had a poor reputation with several modifications   , BWM the then distributors would not have anything to do with repairs or after sales complaints sending them back to Belgium .

The old 101's were very good guns but spares are very hard to obtain no matter what anyone tells you about getting them from the US or a couple of UK outfits .As a result they should ,in my opinion , be priced well below that of an equivalent  Miroku /Browning or Berretta . Unless of course the dealer give you a written  5 year guarantee against parts and labour .Which I doubt very much .